Kevin Quill Sent Back To Prison For Six Years

wpcoe

Yeah, maybe he is guilty. But maybe he is not. Just look at the behavior and motivation of the people he has accused of framing him, and at the money and power they have which as we all know buys alot here, and tell me any reasonable person wouldn't have some serious doubts. I admit my American bias, if there is doubt of guilt, you don't convict.

One detail perhaps somebody knows. In this last trial, which was bizarrely an overturn of an acquittal, I would venture to guess that charges of being framed were likely not allowed (as there was a previous successful libel case about this $$$$). It seems to me that was the only defense KQ had. This is just speculation as I have read no reports about the details of this final conviction.

I agree completely with your post Jingthing.

Cheers, Rick

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, maybe he is guilty. But maybe he is not. Just look at the behavior and motivation of the people he has accused of framing him, and at the money and power they have which as we all know buys alot here, and tell me any reasonable person wouldn't have some serious doubts. I admit my American bias, if there is doubt of guilt, you don't convict.

One detail perhaps somebody knows. In this last trial, which was bizarrely an overturn of an acquittal, I would venture to guess that charges of being framed were likely not allowed (as there was a previous successful libel case about this $$$$). It seems to me that was the only defense KQ had. This is just speculation as I have read no reports about the details of this final conviction.

It does seem odd that, after being out on bail for so long (while awaiting the appeal of his original conviction if I read the stories right), he suddenly has his original verdict overturned by one (lower, easier to manipulate ?) court, and BAM ! That verdict gets squashed by a (higher, harder to manipulate ?) court. Seems to have happened pretty quickly as well.

Obviously his (previous) partners had motivation to set him up, especially if it looked like their meal-ticket partner was starting to get a little tight with the cash (for what ever reason). Could be they had enough dosh of their own stashed in order to make sure KQ stays out of their hair (though it would probably take a very large pile of dosh to pay off that many people for that long).

Too many shady areas and people involved, with too much (for them) on the line. Likely we'll never get the full truth of the matter.

Sorry if he is innocent - but i am sure i read somewhere that he earned his miiion by the Scotish affair and thats why he left scotland and ended up in thailand.

Ok tell me he isnt from Edingurgh/Scotland

You're getting confused with other 2 people in this case who set up Kevin. They are from Scotland and left under a cloud.

Kevin is innocent as far as I am concerned. I have read a lot about this case recently and the whole thing sticks to high heaven. The two other people involved one of them I know pretty well and I am keeping my distance from him now. I want nothing to do with them or their businesses. Kevin is fortunate in one respect he didn't end up dead in a hotel room with his finger hacked off like the other one did.

Kevin could of skipped this country many times, but he didn't. He returned always, has just invested money in a new club and was starting to develop a new condo project. He knew he was innocent and was sure the court would not convict him due to the evidence. How wrong he was. I feel very sorry for the guy and smuggling in a few cigs doesn't warrant a death sentence as some seem to be saying.

As said before Kevin could do himself a lot of good by admitting his guilt. However he isn't guilty and therefore will not admit it. All credit to him, if the shoe was on my foot I'd admit to it and get myself home. How the one who wears a dress and his partner sleep at night is beyond me.

Dear All,

My name is Aaron Quill, Kevin's eldest son.

I would like to say thank you (to most of you at least!) for your support over the past 8 years (and now), what happened in the court was an absolute shock to myself, my family and all who know my dad. At a time like this, it is inevitable that the rumour mill will go into overdrive and the "no smoke with out fire" merchants will come crawling out of the woodwork. all I can say to this, is that it is one hel_l of a lot easier to slag off a man who cannot defend himself.

I must also stress, that 6 years in a thai jail would be a terrible punishment for any man-whether he is guilty or innocent, as you will all know thai jails are not like prisons in the uk. However, 6 years in a thai jail to an (innocent) man, who now has a hole in his throat following throat cancer, is in fact, a death sentence.

I understand that some of you know my Dad, and his stance against drugs, which he despises. I visited a bar in Pattaya yesterday, and was overwhelmed by the number of well wishers that all know that my Dad was framed (by 2 very high profile and wealthy FARANGS) that offered their support. I understand that I cannot name the 2 men responsible, but all I can say is that they have a very chequered past, both here and in the UK-Should you wish to find out more, a british journalist working in thailand has reported on their "dodgy dealing" on a number of occasions. His name is Andrew Drummond, and if you google his name, you will get a better insight into the minds of these twisted, evil crooks, as you will be able to read some of his work. It reads like a Hollywood movie-you have murder, corruption and greed.

Anyway, I have not come here to slate my dad's ex-business partners. Some of you will not know the full story, and I can appreciate that many of you will read this and say to yourself " this is coming from his son, surely it's going to be biased". All I ask is that you look at the facts before you judge, and nail an innocent man to the cross.

For example;

My dad has been back to the UK numerous times since his arrest-And returned to Thailand EVERY TIME. Why did he not stay in the UK?Surely these are not the actions of a guilty man? With his connections and wealth, it would be easy to start afresh.

I have been advised by the british embassy not to be drawn into online arguments, in case I am misinterpreted as criticising the Supreme Court, and therefore the King (hence my careful wording).

One of you has clearly not read the facts properly, and got it into your head that my Dad is scottish, and blackmailed a scottish judge-His ex business partners are from Edinburgh and Falkirk respectively! For the record, my Dad was born in Halifax, West Yorkshire, and later moved to Bradford where he made his name as a successful businessman.

I would also like to say thank you to the man who has stated that although he doesn't like/think he'd like my Dad, he doesn't believe that he would have commited the crime he was accused of. It is opinions like this, which are unbiased, and shows that even people who dislike my dad are shocked at what has happened.

For those of you that are shocked at the verdict and wish to help, i would appreciate it if you could contact me on my personal email which is [email protected]

Yours faithfully,

Aaron Quill

• 3 weeks later...

So what is the latest with this individual?

Having read from various sources about the case it appears we are not being given all the relevant information.

For example this case went to the Highest Court in the land who decided that the accused was guilty and he was put back in prison.

If anything is to be said against this ultimate Court judgment then surely those who are saying he is in reality innocent should at least provide us with a full unedited translation of the latest Court decision.

And after providing that information show us precisely where such judgment is in error in law and fact.

Quite frankly it is irrelevant to say that he was innocent just because, for instance, of the fact that the chose not to jump bail.

It is also very serious to make accusations of someone being framed, so where is the "hard evidence" that is the situation?

Some would say he was caught red handed dealing in drugs and deserves all he gets.

Having read from various sources about the case it appears we are not being given all the relevant information.

For example this case went to the Highest Court in the land who decided that the accused was guilty and he was put back in prison.

If anything is to be said against this ultimate Court judgment then surely those who are saying he is in reality innocent should at least provide us with a full unedited translation of the latest Court decision.

And after providing that information show us precisely where such judgment is in error in law and fact.

Quite frankly it is irrelevant to say that he was innocent just because, for instance, of the fact that the chose not to jump bail.

It is also very serious to make accusations of someone being framed, so where is the "hard evidence" that is the situation?

Some would say he was caught red handed dealing in drugs and deserves all he gets.

If you feel that you have the time and the skills to translate the above then go ahead if indeed you can get a copy. This is Thailand and you obviously have no or little experience of the way that things work here.

Rick

If you feel that you have the time and the skills to translate the above then go ahead if indeed you can get a copy. This is Thailand and you obviously have no or little experience of the way that things work here.

Rick

The court judgment said basically that the court had no reason to believe that the Pattaya police were lying.

To criticise a judge or his judgment is one of the most serious offences in Thailand. Everybody even with a little knowledge of this case know Quill was framed.

The British Embassy know Kevin Quill was framed. They got that admission from General Noppadol Somboonsap who conducted an investigation. He later lost power. Seems a lot of people here know who did the framing too. The farangs I mean.

Their reaction is: "We feel very sorry for Kevin, but he was a silly boy was'nt he'. That sort of sticks in your throat.

But what has happened to Quill is small in compared to what Thai police have been doing to their own people.

I agree there is a high chance he was framed. But, now what? To overturn his conviction means dealing with things Thai society doesn't deal with. I feel truly sorry for Mr. Q and if he was indeed framed, I hope there is an afterlife with some surprises for those responsible.

Edited by Jingthing

I agree there is a high chance he was framed. But, now what? To overturn his conviction means dealing with things Thai society doesn't deal with. I feel truly sorry for Mr. Q and if he was indeed framed, I hope there is an afterlife with some surprises for those responsible.

I think that the only possible route to take is to try to have Kevin transferred to a UK prison to serve out his time. If he is kept in a Thai prison this could actually be a death sentence given Kevin's state of health. I wish him and his family good luck in achieving the transfer if it's at all possible.

Cheers, Rick.

I think that the only possible route to take is to try to have Kevin transferred to a UK prison to serve out his time. If he is kept in a Thai prison this could actually be a death sentence given Kevin's state of health. I wish him and his family good luck in achieving the transfer if it's at all possible.

Cheers, Rick.

Sadly it seems you r right. It seems that his son Aaron has been advised by the British Embassy not to kick up a fuss as it could endanger this process.

Cheers, Rick.

Sadly it seems you r right. It seems that his son Aaron has been advised by the British Embassy not to kick up a fuss as it could endanger this process.

Hi John,

Yes i contacted Aaron and he said the same. Lets just hope that the Embassy can help with Kevin's case. By the way do you know which prison he is in?

Cheers, Rick

Sounds like you just joined this site to put on this comment JIM :o

All three of the farangs involved seem to be sleazy characters. The drugs bust sounds as if it could easily have been a police set up of the type that is only too common in Thailand. It seems incredible that some one would want to smuggle the amphetamines along with the cigarettes to the UK. The cigarette smuggling would be a stupid amateurish crime but would not normally draw a prison sentence in Thailand or the UK. Since 170 cartons would be quite bulky and would create at least a moderate risk of being caught, why would he take a small quantity of speed pills with them, significantly increasing his chances of getting caught with the speed? If he wanted to smuggle speed to sell, why not take a larger quantity and forget about the cigarettes? If the speed was just for personal consumption, then it would still be crazy to carry 170 cartons of cigarettes as well. At the very least a sane man would have put the speed pills somewhere other than in one of the cigarette packets which were likely to attract attention. Perhaps we don't have complete details here but the story sounds dubious to say the least. The Supreme Court's overturning of the Appeal Court's quashed conviction is quite unusual. I wonder on what evidence the Supreme Court based its decision. Also it seems like a fairly small case that the public prosecutor could easily have dropped after Appeal Court's verdict. Thai public prosecutors are notoriously capricious and their reasons for pursuing or not pursuing cases are often quite baffling to outsiders which gives rise to allegations of corruption.

Edited by Arkady

All three of the farangs involved seem to be sleazy characters. The drugs bust sounds as if it could easily have been a police set up of the type that is only too common in Thailand. It seems incredible that some one would want to smuggle the amphetamines along with the cigarettes to the UK. The cigarette smuggling would be a stupid amateurish crime but would not normally draw a prison sentence in Thailand or the UK. Since 170 cartons would be quite bulky and would create at least a moderate risk of being caught, why would he take a small quantity of speed pills with them, significantly increasing his chances of getting caught with the speed? If he wanted to smuggle speed to sell, why not take a larger quantity and forget about the cigarettes? If the speed was just for personal consumption, then it would still be crazy to carry 170 cartons of cigarettes as well. At the very least a sane man would have put the speed pills somewhere other than in one of the cigarette packets which were likely to attract attention. Perhaps we don't have complete details here but the story sounds dubious to say the least. The Supreme Court's overturning of the Appeal Court's quashed conviction is quite unusual. I wonder on what evidence the Supreme Court based its decision. Also it seems like a fairly small case that the public prosecutor could easily have dropped after Appeal Court's verdict. Thai public prosecutors are notoriously capricious and their reasons for pursuing or not pursuing cases are often quite baffling to outsiders which gives rise to allegations of corruption.

Your absolutely right. No drugs traffickers is going to put 100 yaa baa in a stack of 170 cartons of cigarettes. Its quite laughable.

The court decision? The prosecutors decision to appeal? Well I think Quill may have been indiscreet by saying he was going to sue the socks off the people who did this to him.

Cigarette smuggling was obviously a crime and a stupid crime,

Taking 170 cartons of cigarettes out of Thailand is not a crime. It becomes a crime in your own country when you try to enter without declaring them. As long as all relevant taxes were paid on these cigarettes the Thai authorities would not be interested (unless of course somebody planted 100 yaba tablets inside a packet then they would become very interested as this now becomes a nice little earner)

I left bangkok airport with a friend a while back, he stopped at one of the booths and asked the girl what the allowance was for the uk,she replied 200, he then proceeded to buy 2000, no problem, they couldnt give a toss,.i feel kevin quill was set up,.why would they even bother to check inside packets of cigarettes unless they had information that led them to beleive there may be more to it, the guy i mentioned above was actually stopped at uk customs and his cigarettes were conviscated, they did not open one packet,i witnessed this, he was warned of his allowance and we were on our way in minutes, i smell a big rat and although i dont know kevin quill there is something wrong here for sure,.one of 2 things caused his downfall,he either told someone he did it,or as i suspect they were planted,either way he was grassed up or set up,.i think the latter, i wonder how many packets the police had to open before finding the bad carton,.was the packet marked,?. i suppose we will never know, more proof that greed and jealousy is alive and well in thailand,.

Police did not open any other cartons of cigarettes. The British Consul pointed this out

• 2 months later...

Excellent news,as kevin is in ill health i hope he can get home to the UK as soon as possible,.for all you doubting thomas's justice has prevailed,.and for any of you thinking of going into business in pattaya make sure you know your intended partners backrounds,.i dont think any of us can imagine what hes been through what with this and his health it must have been a nightmare, good luck to you kevin,.

Not so fast, boys. I think that article is horribly out of date. It refers to his acquittal by the Appeals Court.

I believe http://www.thetelegraphandargus.co.uk/news...k_to_thai_jail/ is more current, dated 9th April 2008:

Kevin Quill, 45, former owner of the Fighting Cock pub, was arrested and convicted in 2001 on drug charges, which he has strenuously denied.

He served six months in a Thai jail before being granted bail. In 2005 the country's Court of Appeal acquitted Mr Quill of the charges saying there was no evidence against him.

However this week the case went to the Supreme Court who rejected the acquittal and sentenced him to six years' imprisonment.

Note that the first article lists Kevin as 43, and the one I quoted lists him as 45, which I believe is correct.

Not so fast, boys. I think that article is horribly out of date. It refers to his acquittal by the Appeals Court.

I believe http://www.thetelegraphandargus.co.uk/news...k_to_thai_jail/ is more current, dated 9th April 2008:

Kevin Quill, 45, former owner of the Fighting Cock pub, was arrested and convicted in 2001 on drug charges, which he has strenuously denied.

He served six months in a Thai jail before being granted bail. In 2005 the country's Court of Appeal acquitted Mr Quill of the charges saying there was no evidence against him.

However this week the case went to the Supreme Court who rejected the acquittal and sentenced him to six years' imprisonment.

Note that the first article lists Kevin as 43, and the one I quoted lists him as 45, which I believe is correct.

dam_n that article is out of date as i also belive that he is 45.

Gutted.

Mr Quill, who is seriously ill with throat cancer, says he was set up, a claim supported by strong evidence, including an admission by a senior police officer.

Why is this story so vague?

Why exactly did the supreme court overturn the acquittal of the appelate court?

What exactly did the senior police officer admit to?

And what is the other strong evidence?

Too many unanswered questions for me form an opinion either way.

The story was written on

18 February 2005 by Sally Cope.

It looked fishy (old) when I read it but here is the proof for you:

http://www.accessmylibrary.com/coms2/summa...86-18825392_ITM

DATED STORY from 2005 the exact same text as in the link provided by SteveMcQueen.

Sorry folks, the latest known is that he is still in prison and the family is avoiding publicity.

Edited by Jingthing

This is an English language board so naturally we are less interested in Bulgarian cases.

The language of this forum has no bearing on the nationality or interests of it's members.

There are alot of beer bar and go go bar owners who must be quaking in their boots then as prostitution is illegal in Thailand.

Beer bar/gogo bar owners are mainly Thai but nonetheless their businesses are not prostitution. They run a beer/gogo bar and hire waitresses/dancers to serve/entertain the customers. What these girls get up to in their own time is their business provided "they" recompense the owner for any time off they have (via the bar fine). That is Thai logic in it's purest sense.

I think alot of more compassionate people would at least like to see him transferred to the UK where he has a chance of surviving prison. Special treatment? Sure, why not? The man has a credible argument for his innocence (true or not, who knows?) and you might look at throat cancer as a karmic punishment for cigarette smuggling.

Then I cannot be compassionate. If a person sets foot outside his or her home country and gets involved in illegal activities then they should accept whatever punishment is passed down on them. Sure he might be innocent but equally, given his shady background and dealings, he might be guilty of a whole lot more. He is lucky, in another country or with another set of business associates his sentence might have been a close encounter with a machette.

Anybody that reads through what Drummond has documented along with the links provided would have very little doubt that this is a set up.

How much evidence do posters here need to have before they believe something?

The whole case stinks to high heaven.

If the happy day should come that Mr. Quill (no saint but convicted in a case where there is a huge portion of doubt) is transferred to a UK prison (his most hopeful outcome in the current circumstances), pardoned (sadly very unlikely), or less pleasant news, I am sure this will be a front page story in the local press.

To repeat something I said before, I am no friend of Mr. Quill (in fact my encounters with him online caused me to conclude he is rather a sleazeball), I am no friend of farang sex business owners in Pattaya gay or hetero in general (I feel they are pimps), but injustice is injustice, and when we see a case where there is so much doubt of guilt, if we as farangs don't question that one of our expat community has been wronged, who will?

Edited by Jingthing

Anybody that reads through what Drummond has documented along with the links provided would have very little doubt that this is a set up.

How much evidence do posters here need to have before they believe something?

The whole case stinks to high heaven.

While the case does seem to be rife with controversy, I wouldn't place too much faith in anything Drummond writes. AFAIC, if a journalist publishes a story, then decides to apologize for it, he loses pretty much any credibility he had. He has his share of admirers and critics. Some think he's the second coming of Woodward and Bernstein, others think he's a glorified amubulance chaser.

And yes, I read through Drummonds site and the links, and I didn't see anything that would be likely to sway a jury. A good lawyer in his home country might have got him off, but on the other hand, a good prosecutor would have probably been able to get a conviction as well.

And while I don't know the guy, I would find it extremely hard to believe that he was a virgin in the world of "shady business".

Was he set up by his partners ? Possibly.

Was he doing things that made it easy to be set up (i.e. smuggling ciggies) ? Apparently so.

Does someone in authority (as in high up in the judicial system) know more about what happened, or other things that may have happened ? Quite possibly. After all, I'd think it would be somewhat unusual for an appeals court ruling in a relatively minor affair to be overturned by the Supreme Court in short order.

Of course, it wouldn't have anything to do with a lower level of judiciary (the appeals court) perhaps being easier to, uh, "convince" that someone's conviction should be overturned ?

Just what are his former partners up to these days anyways ? Business as per normal ?

We can't retry this case. Actually, there isn't much we can do at all. The family and the British consulate is doing what it can based on the last public word from his son. My understanding is that they are quietly lobbying to have him transferred to a UK prison based on humanitarian reasons. Such transfers are not unprecedented, so it is a possibility. I doesn't seem likely there will be any further court cases as he has been through so many already. Last I heard the partners are filthy rich, nothing wrong with that per se, but I can understand how it might feel wrong from the inside of a hellish Thai prison.

Edited by Jingthing