Son's Military Service

Basecamp

I'm wondering about the manditory 2 years that Thai boys have to go through when they are 20?? My son is both Canuck and Thai and is currently living here in Thailand. We are thinking about going to live in Canada after a few years. I'm wondering if he lives abroad, does he still have the requirement to fulfill military service here? Can he come live here again without fulfilling this service? I'm sure many others have had this experience and there must be a guideline set but I can't find it.

Thanks..........

I understand it's quite easy to buy your way out of the military draft. It's a rather common pratice and I think it will probably cost you, being a falang, around 20,000 to 25,000 bhat. Basicly what you do is find out where your local draft center is located and go there with your son and you will be approached by a "official" who will know what you're looking for. You didn't mention a wife. If she is with you then she can sort it out pretty quickly and it would probably be better if just her and the boy went. Look "poor" and you might get a better price.

Make sure you pay the right guy or you end up with a hassle later on as a draft dodger (not a serious issue as I think the main problem is that they won't issue you a Thai passport).

For myself, I wasn't registered on a Thai house registration until I was 21, so legally (or at least was lost in grey area limbo) missed out on Cock Fight Mountain.

:o

Edited by Heng

Why? If your son is living the best of two worlds would you not want him to give back for a short period?

Well, let's see. We live here in Thailand for a few years then spent 10 years or so up until his age of required military service in Canada. He'll spend some of his preteenage years and his teens in Canada. All his buddies will be going to Uni and he'll have to travel back to Thailand to do military service. Hmmm, maybe you do realize why.

Military service is not mandatory here unless they draw a red ball. This is done once, when they reach the right age. If they get a black ball, they'll get a certificate, or something, showing their military obligation was taken care of.

This is the time of year that young men will be drawing.

I remember a couple of years ago when it was my wifes youngest brothers time to draw. His mother went to the temple and prayed for a red ball. Unfortunately he got black and didn't have to serve. I think it would have done him a lot of good to serve in the military for a couple of years.

I don't think you can just remove it... it has to be moved somewhere. I wasn't on our registration here because I never lived here until I was 21. So I think my way would only work for inter-Thais or luk krungs who spent their lives abroad until after draft age.

Edited by Heng

I don't think you can just remove it... it has to be moved somewhere. I wasn't on our registration here because I never lived here until I was 21. So I think my way would only work for inter-Thais or luk krungs who spent their lives abroad until after draft age.

would most likely be moved to the central database...

my mothers name was moved there after living in OZ for 40 odd years.

Why? If your son is living the best of two worlds would you not want him to give back for a short period?

Well, let's see. We live here in Thailand for a few years then spent 10 years or so up until his age of required military service in Canada. He'll spend some of his preteenage years and his teens in Canada. All his buddies will be going to Uni and he'll have to travel back to Thailand to do military service. Hmmm, maybe you do realize why.

In a good while I will have similar situation, so, good to read the options.

Well, let say as far as Thailand has a war going on in the South, I wouldnt want my son "to give back" too much because of someone stupid order...

I say, if he as options to do more useful, like school, do that.

would most likely be moved to the central database...

my mothers name was moved there after living in OZ for 40 odd years.

So to ask again since there has not been a clear answer!!

If I just go down to the Amphur and ask them to remove (move or whatever) the boys name from the house book - just say he is going to US,

then will he be off the rolls?

"Give back" what? What does a person "take" from a country that requires a "pay back"? If this "pay back" is true, then it should apply to ALL people....with no exceptions.

Any military force teaches people one thing...how to kill another human in the name of politics etc. If one feels strongly about "giving back" to their country, one would be well advised to promote love & tolerance as opposed to fear, violence & hatred.

There has never been a military force in the world that has conquered a "people with a purpose".

"Give back" what? What does a person "take" from a country that requires a "pay back"? If this "pay back" is true, then it should apply to ALL people....with no exceptions.

Any military force teaches people one thing...how to kill another human in the name of politics etc. If one feels strongly about "giving back" to their country, one would be well advised to promote love & tolerance as opposed to fear, violence & hatred.

There has never been a military force in the world that has conquered a "people with a purpose".

I do not believe that I have read so much rubbish in all my puff!!

The career in the military can be a great career choice and the vast majority of posts having nothing to do with killing people!

I would rather my son join the Military if he wanted rather than be a waster!!!