Class Is In Session

Spee

Have enrolled in Thai language class at U. of London. Class starts this week. Can't wait to see how things go. The course textbook is Smythe's Teach Yourself Thai. I'm really hoping the course hits all aspects of language learning and not just basic phraseology. Are any UK-based folks enrolled or past students in the program? Does anyone know anything about the instructors there?

Have enrolled in Thai language class at U. of London. Class starts this week. Can't wait to see how things go. The course textbook is Smythe's Teach Yourself Thai. I'm really hoping the course hits all aspects of language learning and not just basic phraseology. Are any UK-based folks enrolled or past students in the program? Does anyone know anything about the instructors there?

Keep us informed as you move along in it Spee. :D Good luck :o

Hi - take it u mean SOAS - school of oriental and african studies ?

I've been there for 1 year and am going back for intermediate course. Teacher we had produced her own material but it was all based on smythe's stuff - he also did the linguaphone course which is very good but v expensive too.

be interested to know which evening u go on and what ur teachers name is...

the begnners course i did last academic year was good - covered alot of useful situations - but as allways getting tones right is best 1 to 1.

KB wrote:

"Hi - take it u mean SOAS - school of oriental and african studies ?"

Yep.

"be interested to know which evening u go on and what ur teachers name is..."

Will Pm you after things get going.

"but as allways getting tones right is best 1 to 1."

For sure, that and the writing are the keys. I'm hoping I will be able to find one or two similarly motivated classmates to work on things with.

KB wrote:

"Hi - take it u mean SOAS - school of oriental and african studies ?"

Yep.

"be interested to know which evening u go on and what ur teachers name is..."

Will Pm you after things get going.

"but as allways getting tones right is best 1 to 1."

For sure, that and the writing are the keys. I'm hoping I will be able to find one or two similarly motivated classmates to work on things with.

Motivation is good, but to get the tones right, you should not rely on your classmates but only on live Thais who speak the language as their mother tongue. Just my advice after three years of Uni studies of Thai.

Motivation is good, but to get the tones right, you should not rely on your classmates but only on live Thais who speak the language as their mother tongue. Just my advice after three years of Uni studies of Thai.

Good point Meadish ! Well taken !

Hi Spee,

I studied at the SOAS classes from Sept. 97 to June 2000. I found them well taught. I believe that the teachers vary from year-to-year as some of them are students at the university. My class's was an American studying for his PhD.

Scouse.

Is that the college down besides the Lamb Pub in Lambs Conduit street? in Bloomsbury...

I believe it comes under the umbrella of London University. :o

Correct on both counts.

For the previous poster, the course cost is 228 GBP, or a little over $400 USD. If you want them to buy the Smythe book for you, then there is an added charge.

All the relevant info is available at www.soas.ac.uk

I studied there for a year before carrying on my studies at Union Language school in Bangkok.

They had 3 teachers there, one was a lecturer at Chiang Mai university before, another works for BBC world service Thai section, and the third I think was a student there as well.

be interested to know which evening u go on and what ur teachers name is...

I'm in the Saturday morning session. The instructor is a Thai linquist who goes by the nickname "Lek." She is of Issan/Lao heritage, but has been the UK long enough to move quickly from Thai style of thinking to western style of thinking. This helps in the understanding.

I can already tell she will be good. As noted earlier, the course text is Smythe's Teach Yourself Thai, which I've had for several months already. So today's course intro was pretty basic, how to say hello, ask names, etc.

However, in covering the basics, she has already given a couple of pointers on pronounciation and tone usage. She also nicely mixed in some interesting knowledge of Thai culture, history and customs. Already looking forward to next week.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All - be nice to get some further feedback on this.

I believe my teacher is from Chaing Mai University - Khru Uan - she is very good as well - mixes many things in one class - makes it fun and gets everybody involved.

You might like to know that SOAS have a Thai society and I think that anyone can join - for further info see :

SOAS Thai Soc

There are some activities planned for Thursday October 28