Report!

Ulysses G.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, there was a mom and two little girls near Wat Umong kindly squirting passing motorists tonight, so yeah, it HAS started! Big smiles nd a wee bit of water.... nice!

Hmmm . . . misread that first time round!

It's so hot I'm saving all my sweat run-off for my power squirter :o

David

That is always nice, but nothing to get alarmed about yet. :o

Quite right, just a drop out of the land-locked ocean to come.

But the biggest SoakGran Chiang Mai hazard I foresee this year is the new half-baked plan to have well-meaning foreign volunteers (clearly marked as targets in special tee shirts they buy themselves) standing in big-splash areas advising all and sundry:

"No, that's not what you are meant to do! A gentle splash on the shoulder having politely asked permission beforehand is what Songkran is all about!"

Well, with a mere 15 Chiang Mai 'water wars' behind me, I for one will be a zillion miles away from all that very dangerous nonsense. I know that the popular new lady Mayor has asked the Expats Club to assist with this, but she and the boys in brown will NOT be beside you when the yobbos from the south (Thais from Bkk) and the west (idiot, drunken farangs) let loose with all their fire power.

If you are over 26 and/or have any feelings of self preservation or family obligation whatever, PLEASE do not volunteer for this scheme. It's the time for repressed young fools from many nations to get their rocks off (or put them in the water buckets they throw) and you WILL be prime targets. This is a period of real, well documented danger and social disorder which only Thais will ever - or never - overcome. Really!

Please let us know so that we can put on t-shirts and swimming trunks!

Well, VERY modestly it started a bit. Some people swimming in the moat or sitting around having a drink. I think tomorrow afternoon there will be enough people celebrating to call it 'an appetizer'. But then Saturday.... PART TIME!!!!!!!!!!!

It's already started out here in the outskirts of CM. Kids mostly wasting precious water. Makes me wonder how the mooban water system will handle the increased demand with all the klongs dried up??

No water for washing....mai phen rai!!

Got lots of ziploc quart plastic bags (to wrap wallet, cellphone). The Mega Death Water Blaster has been tested and is primed for action. The Wave has been covered with paste wax top to bottom.....

Ready to rumble..... :o

That is always nice, but nothing to get alarmed about yet. :o

Quite right, just a drop out of the land-locked ocean to come.

But the biggest SoakGran Chiang Mai hazard I foresee this year is the new half-baked plan to have well-meaning foreign volunteers (clearly marked as targets in special tee shirts they buy themselves) standing in big-splash areas advising all and sundry:

"No, that's not what you are meant to do! A gentle splash on the shoulder having politely asked permission beforehand is what Songkran is all about!"

Well, with a mere 15 Chiang Mai 'water wars' behind me, I for one will be a zillion miles away from all that very dangerous nonsense. I know that the popular new lady Mayor has asked the Expats Club to assist with this, but she and the boys in brown will NOT be beside you when the yobbos from the south (Thais from Bkk) and the west (idiot, drunken farangs) let loose with all their fire power.

If you are over 26 and/or have any feelings of self preservation or family obligation whatever, PLEASE do not volunteer for this scheme. It's the time for repressed young fools from many nations to get their rocks off (or put them in the water buckets they throw) and you WILL be prime targets. This is a period of real, well documented danger and social disorder which only Thais will ever - or never - overcome. Really!

Agreed! Talk about becoming a designated target!

One farang customer in my store is slightly wet and I saw a bunch of Thais in traditional gear at Thapae Gate splashing each other, but it is VERY tame at the moment. I have donned my protective clothing, but I noticed that there are no little tables around the moat selling squirtguns and buckets and very few elsewhere, so I'm not sure how wild it will get today. Is today going to be the first day or will they hold off until tomorrow? :o

Edited by Ulysses G.

It's already started out here in the outskirts of CM. Kids mostly wasting precious water. Makes me wonder how the mooban water system will handle the increased demand with all the klongs dried up??

Not to worry about the water too much this year. Since rice is expected to reach 8750 Bt a kilo in the next week or so there will be alot less cooking and alot more water to throw about.

Regarding the pre festive water throwing, some falang came close to me kicking the **** outa him when he and a few of his drunken buddies threw water over me and my laptop this morning. They are hanging out across from the malaria hospital on the klong. I expect they will piss someone off today and end up floating in it later.

I gotta get a gun, my weapon of choice is banned and possession of it carries a fine similar to that of having yaba. The old 10 litre tank on my back, the pvc pipe with a range of 5 meters. In the good old days when you hit someone, it stung.

It looks like there is a strong police presence and all the new Songkran laws are being enforced.

I have not seen even one pickup truck with big barrels of water and kids in the back cruising around and no sign of any illegal waterguns being displayed openly like in the past (someone did offer to sell me a hidden one however).

It will be interesting to see if people can still have fun while obeying all the rules or if they will be forgotten after a few hours and things will go back to normal.

I went on a tour of the moat and some outer areas. Around the moat, I get drenched about 6 times... on The Tapae bridge over the Ping, the authorities have a long piece of pvc that is on constantly, making sure everyone gets wet. Stretches about 50 feet long. Very light throughout Mueng Chiang Mai...

cripes, you people have me terrified. My friend talked me into going to CM for the 13th for a couple days. Do I have to hide all day? Will I be able to go out for a beer without getting soaked? Where will it be safe to have a beer? I have a bad feeling that the only place of safety may be in the alternative lifestyle areas since no one dares to make a katoey's mascara run as the consequences can be lethal.

Do I need to arm myself with weaponary? (For personal defense) I was out for my Starcruds fix and passed so many vendors selling mega gigantic water guns. (down here in HKT) I'd prefer not to fly with this as 1) the airline will probably break it in my luggage, or 2) if I carry it on board some twit will think I am about to start nonsense in flight.

What day will it be safe to drive again? ( yea I know safe is impossible, but you know what I mean)

This was originally sold to me as there will be lots of pretty girls in skimpy outfits, now I'm thinking hordes of paniced farangs running about screaming in terror.

Just come back from cycling around town and the moat area has plenty of people throwing klong water (yuk) and the side streets in the old town have lots of people throwing water.

The only iced water I got so far was from, surprise, suprise, a farang. Throwing a bucket of iced water at someone riding a bicycle on a busy road is the action of a moron.

Seen a few pick ups with barrels and lots of squirty guns. The only ones with backpacks have been on little kids (under 10 years old)

The only iced water . . . was from . . . a farang. Throwing a bucket of iced water at someone riding a bicycle on a busy road is the action of a moron.

I understand the town fills up with forongs like that this time of year.

Just back from Thapae road, where there were only two people throwing smalls pails of water at passing traffic.

I still haven't seen one pickup with a barrel of water near Thapae Gate. Maybe they are blocking them from the downtown area?

Most of the action downtown is usually between pedestrians fighting with passengers in vehicles, so stopping that would reduce the insanity considerably.

I still haven't seen one pickup with a barrel of water near Thapae Gate. Maybe they are blocking them from the downtown area?

Most of the action downtown is usually between pedestrians fighting with passengers in vehicles, so stopping that would reduce the insanity considerably.

I saw one directly at the Thapae gate. It was stuck in traffic right next a group of people by the side of the road with a huge bucket of water and a total war got started as the group by the side of the road saw their opportunity to totally soak the pick up group

A lot of traffic near Rajabaht University, traffic jams up to the superhighway. But no water yet.

Edited by mobs00

Worried about a lack of water for normal living? How do you think they filled up the moat? By far the highest since I arrived in November; can only be from the reservoirs! Maybe you need to get used to being dirty and stir-frying 'till the rainy season arrives!