Gps Software For Thailand Maps?

thaitang

hi gang,

this time when i come to LOS for holidays we are planning to get a little more adventurous than usual & rent a car & do some travelling outside of bkk.

so i was thinking it would be a great idea that i bring my handheld gps unit with me. but it would really only be useful if there is maps of thailand available for uploading to the gps unit.

do the software shops (pantip or mbk or similar) sell gps map software for thailand does anyone know? if so has anyone tried or used it?

thanks

hi gang,

this time when i come to LOS for holidays we are planning to get a little more adventurous than usual & rent a car & do some travelling outside of bkk.

so i was thinking it would be a great idea that i bring my handheld gps unit with me. but it would really only be useful if there is maps of thailand available for uploading to the gps unit.

do the software shops (pantip or mbk or similar) sell gps map software for thailand does anyone know? if so has anyone tried or used it?

thanks

We use the Thailand maps from ESRI/Garmin. You can buy it from Garmin directly or ESRI in Bangkok. The maps were very useful and seemed to be up to date.

-Drew

We use the Thailand maps from ESRI/Garmin. You can buy it from Garmin directly or ESRI in Bangkok. The maps were very useful and seemed to be up to date.

yes i know i can buy the maps from garmin... but i was wondering if those same maps were available at s/w vendors in bkk for the slightly cheaper price than what i would pay on garmin webpage.

thanks

There are other maps available, but if you want good routing, I'd stick with ESRI or Garmin. I received good service from ESRI when I was there. They were able to fix the broken display on my GPS in under 2 hours. Also, if you register with them, I believe you get free map updates.

-Drew

yes i know i can buy the maps from garmin... but i was wondering if those same maps were available at s/w vendors in bkk for the slightly cheaper price than what i would pay on garmin webpage.

thanks

Here is a cheaper option, http://rotweilermaps.com/

The ESRI maps are better and the cheapest ESRI map comes from Garmin's web site.

I bought mine from Gadget Trend in Bangkok for 7,000 baht and am entitled to one free update. Updates after that are (I think) 1,500 baht. Up to you.

Try this link http://mapcenter.cgpsmapper.com/catalogue.php?country=210

Free maps compiled by gps enthusiasts. Better value than the commercial maps, especially if you're just visiting.

Bad link

It's only a bad link if you click on it within TV. If you copy/paste the link into a new browser session you will find it works. Don't know how to explain that, but it does work....

Try this link http://mapcenter.cgpsmapper.com/catalogue.php?country=210

Free maps compiled by gps enthusiasts. Better value than the commercial maps, especially if you're just visiting.

Bad link

It's only a bad link if you click on it within TV. If you copy/paste the link into a new browser session you will find it works. Don't know how to explain that, but it does work....

Thanks Artamus. I don't know why the link doesn't work either, but I guess if people can't get that far, there's not much hope for them to figure out how to get the free map on to their gps unit. The website is very interesting & tells you how to compile your own gps map. I came across it about 7 yrs ago, when there were no gps maps of thailand. Made my own, still using it :o

Thanks Artamus. I don't know why the link doesn't work either, but I guess if people can't get that far, there's not much hope for them to figure out how to get the free map on to their gps unit. The website is very interesting & tells you how to compile your own gps map. I came across it about 7 yrs ago, when there were no gps maps of thailand. Made my own, still using it :o

The link is good. Copy and then paste it in a new tab. For practical purposes, you would be better off with a compass and a decent road atlas. The Thailand GPS map from either Rotweiler or ESRI is well over 100 MB in size. I think the biggest free map from this site is about 4 MB so there is not much detail besides other issues. If you are willing to put a LOT of effort into making your own maps, You may enjoy the project. To install a map and go with it is out of the question.

[The Thailand GPS map from either Rotweiler or ESRI is well over 100 MB in size. I think the biggest free map from this site is about 4 MB so there is not much detail besides other issues. If you are willing to put a LOT of effort into making your own maps, You may enjoy the project. To install a map and go with it is out of the question.

That last sentence, absolute BS!!

If you want virtually every soi in Thailand & points of interest you'll need a small fraction of, then 100MB of "bloatware" will be necessary. The free maps will be useful for navigating to most places on major roads & B-roads. Even some off roading. My maps cover most of Thailand & total about 750KB. Thaitang, take alook at the freebies. Maybe you'll find something that suits your needs. A good paper road map is always a must, whatever your gps map.

Here's a screenshot of a small part of my map

post-22070-1208069871_thumb.jpg

[The Thailand GPS map from either Rotweiler or ESRI is well over 100 MB in size. I think the biggest free map from this site is about 4 MB so there is not much detail besides other issues. If you are willing to put a LOT of effort into making your own maps, You may enjoy the project. To install a map and go with it is out of the question.

That last sentence, absolute BS!!

If you want virtually every soi in Thailand & points of interest you'll need a small fraction of, then 100MB of "bloatware" will be necessary. The free maps will be useful for navigating to most places on major roads & B-roads. Even some off roading. My maps cover most of Thailand & total about 750KB. Thaitang, take alook at the freebies. Maybe you'll find something that suits your needs. A good paper road map is always a must, whatever your gps map.

Here's a screenshot of a small part of my map

post-22070-1208069871_thumb.jpg

I stand by my statement. I happen to have the north Thailand map on my computer. I have a friend in Phan and there ARE roads to his house which don't show up on that map.

What do you Loei province maps show? Nothing?

I stand by my statement. I happen to have the north Thailand map on my computer. I have a friend in Phan and there ARE roads to his house which don't show up on that map.

I never claimed my map or those available at the link quoted have all the roads on them. You don't need ALL the roads on a map. Paper maps show very limited roads. BUT your quote of "To install a map and go with it is out of the question" is pure BS. What did you do before you got your gps maps, sit at home? Why do you think my map shows nothing in Loei province?

I never claimed my map or those available at the link quoted have all the roads on them. You don't need ALL the roads on a map. Paper maps show very limited roads. BUT your quote of "To install a map and go with it is out of the question" is pure BS. What did you do before you got your gps maps, sit at home? Why do you think my map shows nothing in Loei province?

My intent was to NOT get into a pissing contest. You don't seem to realize that not everyone lives in Chiang Mai or the north. I also happen to be a member of the site you furnished the URL for. There's just not much there other than a rather poor map of the north. If I had bought an expensive GPS and those were the only maps I could get, I'd be sorely disappointed. Unless I have missed something and you can show me a complete Thailand map, I still stand by my original opinion. I'm not too proud to apologize IF I am wrong. It's up to you to show me that I'm wrong.

There's just not much there other than a rather poor map of the north. If I had bought an expensive GPS and those were the only maps I could get, I'd be sorely disappointed.

Maybe your expectations are too high? But then again you've paid for & possess the rather good ESRI maps. The maps linked to work, they're a navigation aid. They're free. I use them to get additional tracks & POI to update my maps. Someone such as the OP wanting to tour Thailand rather than locate a particular house in Phan would benefit from them. Much better than keying in a few waypoints & a lot cheaper than buying a fully comprehensive gps map of Thailand.

That comment about the rather poor map of the north belittles the work of enthusiasts who publish their maps for the benfit of gps users.

Welcome to my Thaivisa IGNORE list :o

I think you are completely missing the point. Someone wants to tour Thailand and uses the free North Thailand map. That's the best map that is available for the entire country and as mentioned, Phan doesn't show any roads. What about the rest of the country? I had refused to pay the 12,000 baht for the ESRI map and tried to use the publicly available maps of which there are VERY few. I then found Rotweiler maps. They are usable and cover the entire country. Unfortunately the glitches when using them in my 2610 Street Pilot irritated me to death. My hand held eTrex worked better but still has some glitches especially for routing. ESRI then lowered their price to 7,000 baht and since I love my 2610, I finally bought the ESRI map. I am quite happy with it. It too has a few glitches but the routing is good. Maybe I am too particular but I DO want what I am using to work and NOT help me to get lost. That's what a GPS is for.

Someone posted this link;

http://www.garminator.com/index.html

I have no idea if the company is reputable but for $79.95 the price for a loaded Micro card is pretty reasonable if you can use the Micro card in your unit. Supposedly this card has the latest ESRI map.

• 4 weeks later...

I just bought an ASUS P535 phone with GPS it has a SpeedNavi map in English and Thai. As this is my first experience with GPS I can't compare but I was very impressed with it here in Aranyaprathet. I was surprised how detailed the map was for a small town. Their website is www.speednavi.biz it is all in Thai so you may need a translate.

There's just not much there other than a rather poor map of the north. If I had bought an expensive GPS and those were the only maps I could get, I'd be sorely disappointed.

Maybe your expectations are too high? But then again you've paid for & possess the rather good ESRI maps. The maps linked to work, they're a navigation aid. They're free. I use them to get additional tracks & POI to update my maps. Someone such as the OP wanting to tour Thailand rather than locate a particular house in Phan would benefit from them. Much better than keying in a few waypoints & a lot cheaper than buying a fully comprehensive gps map of Thailand.

That comment about the rather poor map of the north belittles the work of enthusiasts who publish their maps for the benfit of gps users.

Welcome to my Thaivisa IGNORE list :o

You're very angry aren't you?