My Pug 'missy' And Her Menstrual Cycle

Time flies! :o My baby Pug is no longer a baby but a woman and in good health! She has just got over her first cycle, she is around 12 months old now. We don't want her to have any pups and are unsure what is the best option for her. Do pugs put on excess weight if they get spayed? At the moment she is exactly eight kilos and we have maintained her diet so that she does not gain anymore. In your professional opinion what is the best option for Missy? How often do pugs get the cycle and how long should it usually last? This was her first and it lasted about three weeks...spotting here and there, on and off.

We would prefer to have her spayed/neutered but not if it affects her body weight.

Pls advise!

Time flies! :o My baby Pug is no longer a baby but a woman and in good health! She has just got over her first cycle, she is around 12 months old now. We don't want her to have any pups and are unsure what is the best option for her. Do pugs put on excess weight if they get spayed? At the moment she is exactly eight kilos and we have maintained her diet so that she does not gain anymore. In your professional opinion what is the best option for Missy? How often do pugs get the cycle and how long should it usually last? This was her first and it lasted about three weeks...spotting here and there, on and off.

We would prefer to have her spayed/neutered but not if it affects her body weight.

Pls advise!

Hi, no sterilising does not lead to excess weight. You are in charge of feeding the dog!! I would recommend t get her sterilised in about 1 month once her reproductive organs have shrunk back to a dormant stage. There is always a higher risk of complications ( hemorrage) when they are sterilised while on heat or just out of the cycle. Normal dogs come on heat twice a year. In the tropics it' a little more irregular. Her 3 weeks cycle is about average. Sometimes thay can have a false pregnancy: even f not mated they start to look pregnant and behave as such: grabbing a pair of socks or a teddy and thinking it's a pup: they can also lactate. Again i would wait until this is over if it happens before booking her appointment for surgery. Stay away from contraceptive injections or tablets (for your dog) : they will lead to problems down the track.

pugs anesthetics are a little bit more complicated but once intubated and in the hands of a reputed veterinarian she should be OK. I can't recommend anybody here as of yet: my own dog will arrive in a couple of months and I will have to investigate the veterinary surgeries in Bangkok. A friend recommended one on Soi 10 in Thonglor: she has pekingeses and is quite fussy in regards to whom she entrusts her pets.

Pls advise!

Do it. Neuter her, it shouldn't effect her body, it you pet you should have some control over her diet.

Edited by BigSnake

Do pugs put on excess weight if they get spayed?

When female dogs have been spayed or male dogs have been neutered, they will have less activities, so some of them may get weight gain. However, the owners can escape overweight problem by appropriated feeding. Don't feed them as ad-lib and let they get jogging.

Female dogs' estrous cycle are every 6-8 months.

The best time for spaying is when the dog is in her 2nd estrous cycle and she is in anestrus stage. (about 3-3.5 month after you see her bleeding vaginal discharge (proestrous).

Anestrus stage is the good period because reproductive system is inactivated so dogs will get less blood loss.

Why neuter or spay?? if you are just worried about her making a bit of a mess when she has her cycle, ,or if you are worried about her being wooed by the local soi romeos when she is in season,there is a natural remedy which is commonly used in boarding kennels even in zoos.It is Chlorophyll a natural extract from leaves, available in any health food shop, in the form of tablets,1 tablet twice a week neutralises the smell and makes her urine smell like peppermint and males are no longer interested, there are no side effects, and if you ever want to put her to stud, just stop giving the tablets for 2 weeks, many vets of the older school say this is cobblers, but it is only because they dont wantto lose their operating fees, we even used this method successfully on our pets and PP dogs :o Nignoy