Thai Social Tax

Saiyan

Just curious to hear opinions and experiences of people who are caught up with / involved with / trying to get out of / want to get involved with / are forced to be part of / try to avoid / the Thai social tax.

It would also be interesting to hear if the people in the tourist and business areas are as affected by this as much as the country folk are.

For those not familiar with the term “social tax” it is when you are presented with an envelope requesting a donation for a marriage, a son going to the temple to study as a monk, a death in the family and sometimes any excuse to have a party etc.

In our area (in the country) we know of several businesses (Thai owned) that have no problem with the social tax in principal but complain bitterly about the sheer numbers of requests per month and the expected minimum amount of B500-00 per envelope.

At present I am not involved with any social tax, but then again I am still new here, only a year and a half. My wife being quite thrifty on occasions advises me in a way that I think is quite unfriendly towards some Thais and then she explains about the “social tax” and the ramifications of getting fully involved with this.

Social tax does not include Temple or any other donations.

Just curious to hear opinions and experiences of people who are caught up with / involved with / trying to get out of / want to get involved with / are forced to be part of / try to avoid / the Thai social tax.

It would also be interesting to hear if the people in the tourist and business areas are as affected by this as much as the country folk are.

For those not familiar with the term "social tax" it is when you are presented with an envelope requesting a donation for a marriage, a son going to the temple to study as a monk, a death in the family and sometimes any excuse to have a party etc.

In our area (in the country) we know of several businesses (Thai owned) that have no problem with the social tax in principal but complain bitterly about the sheer numbers of requests per month and the expected minimum amount of B500-00 per envelope.

At present I am not involved with any social tax, but then again I am still new here, only a year and a half. My wife being quite thrifty on occasions advises me in a way that I think is quite unfriendly towards some Thais and then she explains about the "social tax" and the ramifications of getting fully involved with this.

I use two words the second ends in "OFF"

If the person giving you the envelope is one to whom you would/will give one in the future, make a donation of whatever you can afford. If it is a "stranger" in that you would never consider requesting a donation from them, then make some excuse on the spot or do not return the envelope.

I have seen several households collecting at the same time. No one is expected to give to all of them. Do not feel obligated just because you are asked.

If you will never ask for a donation, for whatever reason, then just give selectively to close neighbors or friends. And you don't have to try to impress anyone, just give something to maintain that relationship, be part of the community. You can ignore the religious aspect, just focus on building/maintaining good will.

These envelopes are usually for marriages, funerals, ordinations and house warming ceremonies etc. and generally only family, friends and neighbours are asked to contribute.

How much you give will be noted in a book kept by the recipient and when you are having a event that includes a similar response that book will be consulted and the amount you gave plus a little extra will be returned to you.

I have never heard of this being called a social tax its a simple Thai custom that helps defray the cost of these events.

We always attend/donate. The amount we give depends on how well we know and/or regard them. 200 Baht starter, which is the norm around here. 500 Baht for good friends, and 1000 for very good friends/family. As this is a sparsely populated area in a sparsely populated province, sometimes these invites do come from a fair distance.

For those not familiar with the term "social tax" it is when you are presented with an envelope requesting a donation for a marriage, a son going to the temple to study as a monk, a death in the family and sometimes any excuse to have a party etc.

In the villages, practically everyone is "invited" to attend every function and therefore expected to donate. A book is kept of who donates how much, and it is expected that when one donates, they give at least 10% more than they previously received from their own party, regardless of the event. So a marriage, funeral, becoming a monk for a week, or a lucky - home party are all given equal weighting. Example. If someone gave you 1000bt for a marriage in the family, you would be expected to give back 1100bt even for something as triivial as a lucky home party.. Someone in our village even had a party for good luck to our new concrete road, and expected donations. Most of the village however did not attend nor donate!

To me temple donations are also an evil social tax, especially when they are solicited for temples hundreds of kms away, where nobody ever goes, not even the person requesting the donation. These envelopes seem to arrive almost weekly! It's the poorest in the villages who are cajoled to donate, thereby going without often the basic necessities, whilst the Wats expand more and more and buy more gold leaf for decoration. To me this rather goes against the teachings of Buddha.

I only become involved when it is a wedding party with a sit down meal (rarely), when I attend and am therefore expected to make the donation. The rest of the time it's the wife's problem

Some interesting responses here.

So, what happens to the unsuspecting farang that gets married here and has more than 100 guests at his wedding? Some on this forum have said that they received more than they had paid for the wedding. I would think that he would be obliged to reciprocate but would he be aware that he is now indebted to them as well.

And to those that have a business. Are you not obliged to participate in social tax with every good customer that you have?

Some interesting responses here.

So, what happens to the unsuspecting farang that gets married here and has more than 100 guests at his wedding? Some on this forum have said that they received more than they had paid for the wedding. I would think that he would be obliged to reciprocate but would he be aware that he is now indebted to them as well.

And to those that have a business. Are you not obliged to participate in social tax with every good customer that you have?

The unsuspecting farang isn't in the 'system'. He pays the lot. :o

When I am at work and the envelopes come around it is usually for the son/cousin etc of the staff member. I'll generally put in 500 baht, although my wife advises that 20-50 is more appropriate.

I don't generally donate to the wedding contribution requests unless an invitation to the wedding is included.