A Sad Story

sweetchariot

I really loved that TV. I dragged it half way around the world and it has been a faithful servant for nearly 5 years.

I loved the wireless surround, the shiny silver casing, the widescreen, but sadly it is deceased (RIP lovely telly).

So, as a typical male I cannot be arsed to visit 50 shops comparing prices, only to go back to the first one to make a purchase.

Anyone in Pattaya bought a TV recently? Where from? I think I need to buy one today, as the missus keeps making a pretend gun with her fingers, and sliding her finger across her throat in a slitting motion. :o

Thanks,

SC

Tesco's have a reasonable selection of well priced flat screens.

Why is the missus threatening you? Just a warning not to spend too much on the new one? :o

I think she's bored of my company already :D

She's now watching channel 3 online, luckily I set up an extension LAN line to the spare room.

I was thinking Tesco's myself, I really can't be bothered to shop around.

Tesco's have a reasonable selection of well priced flat screens.

Why is the missus threatening you? Just a warning not to spend too much on the new one? :o

I think she's bored of my company already :D

She's now watching channel 3 online, luckily I set up an extension LAN line to the spare room.

I was thinking Tesco's myself, I really can't be bothered to shop around.

carrefour have good price too and free delivery on the same day !

I'd suggest going with NUMCHAI. They provide very good service, in terms of both quality and response. They have sales people who know the product much better than the majority of the crews at Big C, Tesco, or Carrefour, IMO. I bought my big screen there, and I've been very satisfied with them. Delivered quickly. Set up, and connected my VCR, the home theater system that came as a bonus with the TV, and my satellite box. I had a problem with something a few days later, and they were here within a few hours to straighten it out for me.

I would second the Numchai recommendation. I think most prices for electronics in LOS are basically fixed by the distributors so prices for the same models are basically the same everywhere. Numchai has great selection of the higher-end brands. I have bought many things from the over the years and always had good after sales service. Also, they have a good service department.

If you want an off-brand, then the Tescos, Big C's and Carrefores are fine for them.

I really loved that TV. I dragged it half way around the world and it has been a faithful servant for nearly 5 years.

I loved the wireless surround, the shiny silver casing, the widescreen, but sadly it is deceased (RIP lovely telly).

So, as a typical male I cannot be arsed to visit 50 shops comparing prices, only to go back to the first one to make a purchase.

Anyone in Pattaya bought a TV recently? Where from? I think I need to buy one today, as the missus keeps making a pretend gun with her fingers, and sliding her finger across her throat in a slitting motion. :o

Thanks,

SC

go to the electrical retail shop on the right hand side at the bottom of the post office soi in Naklua

adjacent to the traffic lights.

ask for Mr Gee, his prices are as a good as any in town, he will price match and likely offer some goodies to sweeten the deal and the service is 1000 times better than the biggies, even than Numchai

if you have ever tried taking anything back to carrefour, tesco, big c (as i have), you will know why i am sending you here, where his service has meant me spending over 500,000 with him over the last 4 years and all my friends have spent likely more than a million.

in retail terms he is the dogs b.......s!

Thanks,

SC

go to the electrical retail shop on the right hand side at the bottom of the post office soi in Naklua

ask for Mr Gee, his prices are as a good as any in town, he will price match and likely offer some goodies to sweeten the deal and the service is 1000 times better than the biggies, even than Numchai

if you have ever tried taking anything back to carrefour, tesco, big c (as i have), you will know why i am sending you here, where his service has meant me spending over 500,000 with him over the last 4 years and all my friends have spent likely more than a million.

sorry he is Mr Ji and his shop is called Thaweechai Electromart at the junction of Sawangfa Road and Pattaya -Naklua Road

Thanks,

SC

it might be fixabale, i know some electrical guys who can fix almost anything, i was there last week and bumped into some official looking guys from NASA........

Thanks,

SC

sorry he is Mr Ji and his shop is called Thaweechai Electromart at the junction of Sawangfa Road and Pattaya -Naklua Road

Another vote for Thaweechi. Threaten them with cash and they will reduce the price a bit more. Just let them see you come out of Numchai (Nakua) across the road so you don't have to bargain too hard. :D

Thanks for all the advice folks. I did yesterday purchase a new 42" Samsung from Tesco (Pattaya Nua). We went to Tesco's Threpassit and there was not much to choose from, then tried Carrefour - by this time I would have willingly bought anything - then went to North Tesco's.

Sadly I did not read all the thread here before I went, but feel that I got a good deal anyway. It was discounted from 45k to 35k, it's plasma rather than LCD (which I know will infuriate the purists), but after seeing it in action the picture was alot better than some of the crazy priced LCD's. The stats (most of which I don't understand) were all far more impressive than it's LCD sister, and I am well pleased with it.

My only question - why do they look smaller in the shop? The 32 inchers looked like computer moniters in comparison, so I HAD to get something bigger. This thing is huge, and flicking through the channels last night was inducing motion sickness. However the golf was quite impressive at 2am this morning, even if I had to close one eye to stop the darn thing moving around the room :o

I'm also in the market for a flat screen set, but for the purpose of watching videos only.

Three questions:

1) Does any of those sets come with a USB connector so that I can directly plug in a HDD?

2) Are there mobile stands on wheels available as I want to watch in both, living room and bed room.

3) Plasma versus LCD: I understand that plasma has the better picture quality. The downside is shorter lifespan and burn-in. Is this still an issue nowadays?

...oh and a fourth one: How is the sound quality of the built-in speakers? I am not an audiophile but cannot stand crappy sound.

I'm also in the market for a flat screen set, but for the purpose of watching videos only.

Three questions:

1) Does any of those sets come with a USB connector so that I can directly plug in a HDD?

2) Are there mobile stands on wheels available as I want to watch in both, living room and bed room.

3) Plasma versus LCD: I understand that plasma has the better picture quality. The downside is shorter lifespan and burn-in. Is this still an issue nowadays?

...oh and a fourth one: How is the sound quality of the built-in speakers? I am not an audiophile but cannot stand crappy sound.

i have asked similar questions of Mr Ji at Thaweechai Electromart, he speaks good english and is very knowledgable about his products. he will know the answers you require and you can compare different sets in his viewing room. i hope that helps

Thanks for all the advice folks. I did yesterday purchase a new 42" Samsung from Tesco (Pattaya Nua). We went to Tesco's Threpassit and there was not much to choose from, then tried Carrefour - by this time I would have willingly bought anything - then went to North Tesco's.

Sadly I did not read all the thread here before I went, but feel that I got a good deal anyway. It was discounted from 45k to 35k, it's plasma rather than LCD (which I know will infuriate the purists), but after seeing it in action the picture was alot better than some of the crazy priced LCD's. The stats (most of which I don't understand) were all far more impressive than it's LCD sister, and I am well pleased with it.

My only question - why do they look smaller in the shop? The 32 inchers looked like computer moniters in comparison, so I HAD to get something bigger. This thing is huge, and flicking through the channels last night was inducing motion sickness. However the golf was quite impressive at 2am this morning, even if I had to close one eye to stop the darn thing moving around the room :o

Plasma TV'S do look great, but I've heard that they are not totally perfected and after three years they start to lose their clarity. Anyway good luck with your new TV. 35,000 is a great price.

Barry