Firefox Really Better Than Ie?

junkofdavid2

IE: You're feeling hungry and go to the kitchen. You find a packet of biscuits in the cupboard and a glass of milk in the 'fridge. "Yummy! That'll do nicely."

Firefox: You're feeling hungry and go to the kitchen. You find a packet of biscuits in the cupboard and a glass of milk in the 'fridge. "Yummy! That'll do nicely." You then look out of the window and notice a brand new 7/11 just opened up next door...

:o

IE is just a shit browser. Fundamentally, it is worse than Firefox (and most other browsers) in nearly every conceivable way. Go open a busy page in IE, then go open in in Firefox. Big difference. Revisit them, IE is still slower even when stuff is cached. It has no superior features worth mentioning. Key parts of the interface have crappy little buttons. It has worse security problems than anything else. Given the resources available to the company made it, it is inconceivably bad. Use anything else, or risk ridicule and humiliation. There is no reason to use it at all, unless you are some sort of masochist.

Stereotypical User

Internet Explorer - Brain dead newbie. Loves pop-ups, viruses, and spyware. Just wants to "surf the Internet and check my email." Oblivious to alternative lifestyles. Seeks help from "computer smart" nephew.

Firefox - Proselytizing ubergeek. Loves freedom, choice, and tabbed browsing. Just wants to "improve mankind with Open Source Software." Oblivious to market forces and the power of money. Seeks other geeks to join in on the evangelism.

Both are equally annoying.

Ref: http://www.bbspot.com/News/2005/01/firefox...t_explorer.html

Since switching to Firefox -Along with avast antivirus (same antivirus I used since 2004) I have had ZERO viruses Zero issues. IE is like driving a 1966 Renault. It truly is a polished turd at best.

Lets face it the world hates Microsoft & all the hacks use it as a launching site (do to the swiss cheese factor in their security)

For Malware & other Hebie Jebies!

Firefox is much more versital as well.

Since switching to Firefox -Along with avast antivirus (same antivirus I used since 2004) I have had ZERO viruses Zero issues. IE is like driving a 1966 Renault. It truly is a polished turd at best.

Lets face it the world hates Microsoft & all the hacks use it as a launching site (do to the swiss cheese factor in their security)

For Malware & other Hebie Jebies!

Firefox is much more versital as well.

I think I have tried every recently available browser. I liked Firefox the best but I had many glitches that just got to be too aggravating. I was actually using Opera for browsing and IE 7 for sites that didn't like Opera. I then downloaded the Firefox Beta 3 and it has been working flawlessly. I have my fingers crossed that it continues to work perfectly. I hope that I didn't delete Opera and Flock too soon.

I don't know if this is relevant but I use IE to surf Thai sites. Before everyone has a knee jerk reaction and say that it's because the Thai web designers don't code things properly, you'll find that firefox doesn't do proper Thai word wrapping out of the box. This is because unlike English, Thai does not have a space between each word and so word wrapping has to be done purely out of a dictionary. IE supported this a very long time ago. Being unable to wrap Thai words, this will cause layouting (be it tables, or purely css) to break down because a whole chunk of word would just mean the browser can't do anything but allow it to keep expanding horizontally, creating horizontal scroll bars, etc.

I've found an addon which I thought still wasnt too nice, but correct me if I'm wrong, but I think firefox 3 beta (it's still not very stable IMO) has built in Thai wrapping. The last time I used Firefox 3 a month ago, it kept crashing on me.

... The last time I used Firefox 3 a month ago, it kept crashing on me.

The last time I used it, about 85% of my extensions didn't work. I'll wait until more of them get updated.

i have had same problems as the OP. with Firefox. Was a happy user for more than a year and suddenly so many websites just do not work. especially THAIVISA. George take note. IT was a Firefox 3 and lots of problems. Things were better with IE7. Computer just stop loading windows and now after a fresh format and reinstall of windows, i am back to Firefox 2.

Well for me Safari is the one. Colour corrected, quick and nice text.

I also use FF but am progressively turning on Safari for its clarity

Same here...and Safari is also a lot faster than Firefox

http://www.apple.com/safari/

And Firefox Beta 3 is five times faster than IE7

http://blogs.zdnet.com/Burnette/?p=548

Both are available for free for Windows or Mac OSX. I can't work out exactly why many people still use IE7, apart from getting Microsoft proprietary stuff to work, and that is becoming increasingly rare.

had also problems with FF 3. Back to FF2 now and happy ever after.

Main problems were the add-ons that didn't work anymore. I think it was also crashing and/or slow. Hands off beta versions, I should have known this... :o

I haven't had any problems with Firefox 3 since I put it on. I don't use a lot of add on programs but Adblock Plus, Flashgot/get and IE Tab work fine. I did have a lot of problems with the old Firefox. It kept losing passwords and my Yahoo home page refused to open without telling me the page was out of date.The Beta is up to 3.0b5 now. I used Flock for quite a while with very few problems but I think Firefox 3 is faster.

OK - After reading this thread I downloaded FF2 and now trying it, I also downloaded

ie_tab-1.3.3.20070528-fx+mz+sm+fl-win.xpi - the IE Tab Add-on

My OS does not recognise the .xpi extension so how do I install it. Sorry for being brain dead!!

I don't know if this is relevant but I use IE to surf Thai sites. Before everyone has a knee jerk reaction and say that it's because the Thai web designers don't code things properly, you'll find that firefox doesn't do proper Thai word wrapping out of the box. This is because unlike English, Thai does not have a space between each word and so word wrapping has to be done purely out of a dictionary. IE supported this a very long time ago. Being unable to wrap Thai words, this will cause layouting (be it tables, or purely css) to break down because a whole chunk of word would just mean the browser can't do anything but allow it to keep expanding horizontally, creating horizontal scroll bars, etc.

I've found an addon which I thought still wasnt too nice, but correct me if I'm wrong, but I think firefox 3 beta (it's still not very stable IMO) has built in Thai wrapping. The last time I used Firefox 3 a month ago, it kept crashing on me.

FF3 is still problematic with Thai. This probably explains why nearly all the traffic I'm seeing on one of my Thai websites is all IE - but here's another surprise - in Thailand the market is completely dominated by IE (95%) - almost evenly split between IE6 and IE7.

If you're designing websites, you better know what your target audience is using (mostly IE).

FF 3.0b5 is buggy - b4 and b3 worked fine for me but b5 has hung a couple of times. Claims not to support a number of extensions (but if you use FF2 to install the extensions, FF3b will actually see some of them!) To install extensions, you need to go from withing FF to Tools/Add Ons.

OK - After reading this thread I downloaded FF2 and now trying it, I also downloaded

My OS does not recognise the .xpi extension so how do I install it. Sorry for being brain dead!!

With Firefox open, try dragging the .xpi file onto Firefox and follow the prompts thereafter.

Well, one simple question answers it probably all:

"If the IE XX would be a perfect browser, FF, Opera etc... simply wouldn't exist!"

:o

Use FF with the usual options (AddOns) WinPatrol, AVG, AA, ZA... and a couple of security settings, never had a Problem!

I love the tabbed browsing and the simplicity of using FF!

With Firefox open, try dragging the .xpi file onto Firefox and follow the prompts thereafter.

That worked -- Thanks