1am Closing Confirmed?

davethailand

Me. I wish they would enforce it, but then, I don't own a bar either.

Pattaya is such a cr@ppy place anyway, can't see how it won't be an improvement.

If its a crappy place then you obviously don't live here?

If you don't live here and it's a crappy place then you obviously don't holiday here?

So why does it bother you? Burrito Boy :D

It bothers me because it did use to be a great place. I loved going there and enjoying a stroll at sunset, having a nice, quiet dinner and an enjoyable, but not harrased evening out.

Then it became what it is today, perhaps after people like you took over, barkeep. :D

Shame really :o

Is it just me, or is the whole place seeming more unfriendly to certain sectors of tourisim?

Oh yes. Any western style holiday that involves drinking of some sort. Unless your going to a health farm, name a western style holiday that doesn't in some way?

Blatant example - Villa, Sukhumvit Soi 33 and neighbouring 7-11. Can't sell booze after midnight, based in a farang tourist/expat area.

Venture 100 meters down the road (away from Asok), no problems!!!

Why?

I understand from a friend that Silom Soi 4 was shut down fast around midnight last night after advice that that a police raid was imminent. Friend (from HK who was at the Telephone Bar) was impressed with the way it was all handled and how well the staff looked after the confused and amazed foreigners as they were helped to leave the Soi.

It bothers me because it did use to be a great place. I loved going there and enjoying a stroll at sunset, having a nice, quiet dinner and an enjoyable, but not harrased evening out.

Then it became what it is today, Shame really  :D

I first went to Pattaya in 1978.

Remember that there were go-go's, bars and such there then. maybe not so blatant, so in-your-face, but there - on Beach Road.

The place was smaller, less infrastructure, less farang-speaking Thais.

Still as many (in fact more then) beach vendors, not so much transport then, not so much choice of food, places to visit, general tourist facilities.

If you stay away fro the bar sois, Walking Street, Pattayaland then you can have a 'better' holiday now than you could all those years ago. The bar trade has put so much money into Pattaya that it is unrecognisable from thirty years ago.

And much better for it!

(It even has some live music venues :o )

I Dont believe tourism will be down.

Sex toursits are there for sex, not bars and drinking.

Tourism in thailand last year was increased and not by sex tourists but familys. Familys with children dont care if bars close after 1am as they will be back at the hotel sleeping.

Early finish means early start, instead of people getting up a 2-3pm and going out at 10-11pm, the whole system will come forward,

Maybe sex toursits will now start going home with a tan.

When I go out at night i dont get into bars until late, with the Blues factory I dont arrive until 12am and stay to watch the second band of the evening.

If this band started at 11pm, I would arrive at 11 and stay till the new time of 1am.

Dave you will still get the same amount of time and money from me, poeple will adapt and rerun there day around the hours available.

Early finish means early start, instead of people getting up a 2-3pm and going out at 10-11pm, the whole system will come forward

If this band started at 11pm, I would arrive at 11 and stay till the new time of 1am.

In theory, logically one would start earlier.

BUT, some people like a nap after their day on the beach or a couple of beers after golf.

I'ts also a lot cooler later on in the night.

And people should have the choice to form their own daily/nightly patterns on any holiday.

In theory, logically one would start earlier.

BUT, some people like a nap after their day on the beach or a couple of beers after golf.

Try drinking a bottle of beer in between each hole, together with a couple more afterwards. I don't think you will be bothered much about the bar's closing time anymore :o

dont understand all the fuss , 1am is ok for most guys , go around and have a look at how many elbowbenders are drinking that late , its not many.

sit in a bar at the start of the evening , it peaks around 11-12 then its downhill all the way .

the girls are keen early evening ,then get bored and grumpy 11-12 .

Early finish means early start, instead of people getting up a 2-3pm and going out at 10-11pm, the whole system will come forward,

you cant start early because of the traffic jams , unless you live near the bar areas .

so farangs are forced to hang around the hotel till gone 9 oclock , then get a taxi .

so 10 is about the earliest to get going .. (BBK)

dont understand all the fuss , 1am is ok for most guys , go around and have a look at how many elbowbenders are drinking that late , its not many.

sit in a bar at the start of the evening , it peaks around 11-12 then its downhill all the way .

the girls are keen early evening ,then get bored and grumpy 11-12 .

I don't think it's about how late/early you can drink, it's about choice, being able to choose to go and have a drink at 02.00 or 1500hrs (don't forget new opening times) or anytime for that matter....

totster :o

I have been discussing this loads in other threads and taking flack that this is just about sex tourists and cleaning up Thailand (good thing) but to me its all being told by a nanny state what time is bedtime and what freedoms I have.

Its interesting that Patongs delegation (listed above) is fighting it hard, why ??? Patongs new Mayor is Pian (major shareholder of the Dragon disco) and his right hand man Chirat (spelling ??) Owns Safari disco. The 3rd member of the group that went up is the owner of Tiger Disco and enterntainment complex.. All these disco's made a fortune as the bars closed and they were the late night pick up joints and 'last chance saloon' for FLs on thier way home. 6 months ago Dragon would be jumping till 5 or 6 and nearly empty until 12- 1. So obviously this delegation has massive vested interest in making this get back to that basis.

This weeks Gazette has some good editorials and letters and Even the Toon Town piece (which is normally kind of gutter journalism but can be funny) accurately points out that the vast majority of forced early closings are Farang managed places and the Thai owned places (bars) are being left alone..

My guess is that Pian et al will be haggling hard for 'nightclubs' to have a 4AM license and that will close the bars early and drive the people to thier own businesses.

http://www.phuketgazette.net/forthweek/fiction.asp Scroll down to Toon Town.

http://www.phuketgazette.net/forthweek/perspec.asp

http://www.phuketgazette.net/forthweek/pilots.asp

its all being told by a nanny state what time is bedtime and what freedoms I have.

This is exactly how I feel about it....

The problem is that it's not just the "sex tourist" that wants to drink into the night, all those tourists that the Thai government want to attract , you know the 2 week package holiday types, they want to be able to party go dancing etc... How are they gonna feel when after saving all year for their well earned holiday they go out for night of revelling only to find the bars close early and they have to come home...?? I can't see these thirtysomething ( "used to go to the odd rave when I was younger ..") liking it too much, go somewhere else next year..!!

If you want to be a tourist destination, cater for the tourists...!!

totster :o

Its interesting that Patongs delegation (listed above) is fighting it hard, why ??? Patongs new Mayor is Pian (major shareholder of the Dragon disco) and his right hand man Chirat (spelling ??) Owns Safari disco. The 3rd member of the group that went up is the owner of Tiger Disco and enterntainment complex.. All these disco's made a fortune as the bars closed and they were the late night pick up joints and 'last chance saloon' for FLs on thier way home. 6 months ago Dragon would be jumping till 5 or 6 and nearly empty until 12- 1. So obviously this delegation has massive vested interest in making this get back to that basis.

I hope these new restirctions are not going to mark the end of Sanuk in Phuket too. I was in BKK last weeekend, and it was as dead as a door nail all night... and then even deader after 1am.

I was also in Patong in September and the nightlife seemed OK... Bars/Clubs were open until 2am/3am. That was before the new rules though... Will be interesting to see what happens now.

I Dont believe tourism will be down.

Sex toursits are there for sex, not bars and drinking.

Tourism in thailand last year was increased and not by sex tourists but familys. Familys with children dont care if bars close after 1am as they will be back at the hotel sleeping.

Maybe sex toursits will now start going home with a tan.

When I go out at night i dont get into bars until late, with the Blues factory I dont arrive until 12am and stay to watch the second band of the evening.

Dave you will still get the same amount of time and money from me, poeple will adapt and rerun there day around the hours available.

cheers Rocky, hopefully it won't change, if so then i will promote the earlier hours stronger and have an earlier night, :o