3 Dead In Patong?

Tornado

I was talking to a mate of mine, who has a bar in Bangala. He said the water was up to his hip and three people got killed by electrocution. Any more info?

I can imagine them plugging in the sound system waist deep in water - not funny, but....

nothing on the gazette as it is Sunday.

Yeah totally mad round town 2 days ago.. about 3 ft water behind my house.. Thought the retaining wall was going to give for sure.. Flooding above car door wing mirrors..

Most beach Rd and Bangla between knee and thigh deep..

I heard one dead by shock... it was mad actually as I was joking with an ozzie both of us stood in the water having a beer in the wet and I said wait till the electric starts popping and he pulls his feet up onto the bar stool.. About 10 mins later overheard some of the girls saying someone had just had a whack and died.

GS, I just broke up with a Bee.. Best of luck to you.. Attack of the Killer Bee's :o

Tourist electrocuted during rains

PHUKET: A 19-year-old Canadian tourist was electrocuted by a downed power cable in Patong during Saturday’s torrential rains.

Gary Yelizarov, of Richmond, was found on the sidewalk near the Jintana Hotel. A broken electrical cable was nearby.

Firefighters used a piece of wood to move the cable away and retrieve Mr Yelizov’s body, but he was pronounced dead at Patong Hospital.

Hospital director Dr Taweesak Netwong, told the Gazette the hospital was unable to supply any more information about Mr Yelizarov because “it’s delicate for tourism”.

The rain – 79.8mm in the 24 hours between 7am on Saturday and 7am on Sunday, according to Vichit Phuangsombat, Director of the Southern Meteorological Center (West Coast) – caused flooding in many parts of the island and a landslide on Patong Hill and along Phra Barami Rd.

Metha Mekarat, Chief of the Phuket Office of Disaste r Prevention and Mitigation (ODPM) told the Gazette his office believed the rain had caused damage worth more than 10 million baht.

After a crisis meeting with Vice-Governor Winai Buapradit, emergency services provided food and other aid to 50 families affected by flooding and landslide on Phra Barami Rd, on the outskirts of Patong.

Leading businessman Chairat Sukbal, owner of the Safari Pub and Deputy Mayor of Patong Municipality with responsibility for wastewater, told the Gazette, “Patong has an anti-flood plan but it’s not always possible to resist the water.”

--Phuket Gazette 2004-10-12

Edited by george

...the hospital was unable to supply any more information about Mr Yelizarov because “it’s delicate for tourism”....

Must not frighten away the tourists, eh? Don't want them thinking that their holiday paradise might just kill 'em? :D

“Patong has an anti-flood plan but it’s not always possible to resist the water.”.

:o

PHUKET: A 19-year-old Canadian tourist was electrocuted by a downed power cable in Patong during Saturday’s torrential rains.

Gary Yelizarov, of Richmond, was found on the sidewalk near the Jintana Hotel. A broken electrical cable was nearby.

Firefighters used a piece of wood to move the cable away and retrieve Mr Yelizov’s body, but he was pronounced dead at Patong Hospital.

I'm sure this won't be kept quiet in Canada. I can see the Canadian Foreign Affairs Department recommending to Canadians that Thailand is unsafe for travel. Electrocutions, murders, auto accidents...Thailand is going to get hurt...this country is teetering on disaster. The safety of visitors is very questionable here.

I've had friends visiting me here. I found myself being overprotective of them. Basically, I didn't want them to die on my watch. The odds are high for such things and I doubt it will ever change. It's all up to the attitude and perception of tourists and their countries. Eventually, information will be shared and foreign governments around the world will tire of the nonsense here in Southeast Asia and advise all of their citizens to avoid this region altogether.

I'm sure this won't be kept quiet in Canada. I can see the Canadian Foreign Affairs Department recommending to Canadians that Thailand is unsafe for travel. Electrocutions, murders, auto accidents...Thailand is going to get hurt...this country is teetering on disaster. The safety of visitors is very questionable here.

I've had friends visiting me here. I found myself being overprotective of them. Basically, I didn't want them to die on my watch. The odds are high for such things and I doubt it will ever change. It's all up to the attitude and perception of tourists and their countries. Eventually, information will be shared and foreign governments around the world will tire of the nonsense here in Southeast Asia and advise all of their citizens to avoid this region altogether.

Question: How many tourists come to Thailand each year? How many deaths occure per 100,000 tourists? How many of those deaths were from natural causes or self inflicted? How many were murdered? How many died in accidents? I think we need to know the answeres to these questions before we rush to judgement. :o

btw has anyone noticed that the average life expectancy for a thai now is over 71 years? (source = UN) bear in mind that your average thai is a lot more nimble and agile than a westerner - good for dodging all the obstacles and hazards on the typical pavement...

It ain't gonna happen.

Tourists will continue to flock to the realm.

And if yer gonna stand up to your waist in water whilst around sub-standard electrical installations you deserve to be electrocuted.

Finally on the subject of personal safety in the realm I have never in 15 years felt aprehensive for my own safety (other that from my "jai rawn" wife that is)

From John Burdett's novel BANGKOK 8:

"The West is a culture of emergency. We worry about twisters in Texas, earthquakes in California, windchill in Chicago, drought, flood, famine, epidemics, drugs, the war on terror, crime and everything. We panic about the meteor that might hit the Earth or about how much longer the sun will last. Of course, if you didn't believe you can control everything, there wouldn't be an emergency, would there?"

caught that from the book also.... nice--

after the taba hilton getting blown up- thats the sinai-we were issued travel warnings against going to... guess where....israel's most favorite relaxation sites KHOUSAN ROAD AND PHUKET ETC. .... thailand will now have to do with less israeli tourists due to the 'situation'.... arent you all excited now...

sorry punctuation keys not working

Question: How many tourists come to Thailand each year? How many deaths occure per 100,000 tourists? How many of those deaths were from natural causes or self inflicted? How many were murdered? How many died in accidents? I think we need to know the answeres to these questions before we rush to judgement. :o

The 25 years that I've lived in Canada, I don't recall the death of one tourist...though I'm sure a few died over the years. I've been in Thailand for about 3 years now, and in that time, surely a hundred+ people have died so far. Likely from traffic accidents and murder/suicides.

I see a dead person on the road, or at the very least a smashed up bike and some blood on a daily basis. This country is unsafe. From the taxi drivers, to the ya-ba popping Tuk-Tuk drivers, to the 15 year old motorbike maniacs, to the 40 year old women without any formal driver training, to the washed out, slippery roads, to the sparks of chaotic electricity running through the power lines over head, to the strong tides, to the AIDS infested population, to the corruption of the police, to the utter lack of monitoring by police, to the crooked politicians and companies....this place is pretty ######* unsafe.

Best be watching your back.

And if yer gonna stand up to your waist in water whilst around sub-standard electrical installations you deserve to be electrocuted.

Yeah, he deserved to be killed you fcukwit. He was all of 19 and not familiar with the utter lack of safety and responsibility in this country. Smarten up jackass and have some respect.

I can't believe how ignorant some of you people are," he deserved to die"! Man or you a no life or what!

Most people are unaware of the dangers when they come here, especialy when they come from a place where there are no bare wires on power poles, there for you to touch at waist and shoulder height.

It was only a few years ago a girl was killed here in Phuket while having a towel fight in her dorm that the towel hit the exposed electric wires and killed her.

Like Steve Reeves said in his speech on Hard Talk(BBC) yesterday left is short and full of perils.

Lets try and enjoy and not make problems for others

I agree. How was the kid to know that Thailand is so unpredictable?

I was thinking just recently how much more likely am I to be killed in Thailand than UK. I settled on about ten times more likely. It is offset by the fact that I am ten times more likely to be cold, bored and over taxed in the UK than Thailand, so I won't be ditching Thailand just yet. :o

I'm not saying that Thailand is a horrible place. I love this country. But, we all have to admit, that such things as common sense, safety and empathy are in short supply over here. No, we are not likely to change things, but at the very least, we could warn others and keep a watchful eye on ourselves and those around us. There's no one looking out for us. Be safe.

in thailand there is only one thing lacking big time.

EDUCATION !!!!!!

when they get that sorted all the rest will go away in a few decennia.

education about disease (bird flu)

education about traffic

education about science and biology

education about procedures and solutions

education about logic

education what corruption really brings

education about politics

etc...

no english education is not on the list ......

I'm not saying that Thailand is a horrible place. I love this country. But, we all have to admit, that such things as common sense, safety and empathy are in short supply over here

Well said. And those quality’s cost nothing, but they are in short supply here. Riding a bike with no lights on down the wrong side of the road with your entire family on cannot be written off as 'just a different way of life'. It is a basic lack of all the quality’s you listed, and it frustrates me. It doesn't need to be this way. Do people really need educating about such basics? Maybe they do.

In the Phuket Gazette about two months ago - I cannot find a link to it - someone asked the question "Why make Phuket look like a third world country by having most streets lined with electricity poles and cables". The answer given by someone fairly high up in the electricity company was: "Because it is easier for the electricity company to see who is stealing the electricity".

Ridiculous! The correct answer is: "Because we cannot afford to put the cables underground." A simple true answer would gain respect, a lie does not. Maybe inside his office, his staff say "Yes, Sir!" and accept what he says, but to give such a response to a newspaper shows complete contempt for the readers.

P.S. Thanks, electric company, for the great views:

e7.jpg

e29.jpg

Leading businessman Chairat Sukbal, owner of the Safari Pub and Deputy Mayor of Patong Municipality with responsibility for wastewater, told the Gazette, “Patong has an anti-flood plan but it’s not always possible to resist the water.”

How does a pub owner get the title "Leading Businessman"??

His babel “Patong has an anti-flood plan but it’s not always possible to resist the water.” sounds more like a drunk pub owner than a leading businessman.

LEADING BAFOON would be more appropriate.

How does a pub owner get the title "Leading Businessman"??

His babel “Patong has an anti-flood plan but it’s not always possible to resist the water.” sounds more like a drunk pub owner than a leading businessman.

LEADING BAFOON would be more appropriate.

Khun Chairat is a leading business man and has just been appointed Deputy Mayor. He hails from Nakhon Sri Thammarat and is also a major property developer, holds 2 degrees and an MBA. He is one of the smartest people I have met in Thailand and its good to have a family member of mine doing well. :o

Khun Larry - he was only appointed a few weeks ago - give him time.

My girlfriend has two degrees and an MBA...... I'm not sure I would trust her to run my household. :o

And pray tell us all. What have you got by way of tertiary education ? A first class pass in cynicism for sure, and a pain in the butt to boot. For the maths she has THREE degrees.