Former Kam-nan (sub-district Headsman) Murdered In Seethanu

Actually, as far as I know, he was no longer the Kamnan, as of the last election. His son is about 11, I believe. They had just returned home from the Songkran festival when he was shot about 4-5 times.

I doubt anyone will be arrested for it Steve, it was most likely a professional job.

A very sad day as he was a well-liked, well-respected person well known for his clean record as the local Kamnan.

Oh absolutely, they should, but in all likelihood, the real killer is long gone off the island. And well, considering how these things usually turn out, I don't hold much faith in the police's investigative techniques, much less the local police.

He has 3 kids, as far as I know, its a terrible thing to do to kids, shoot their dad like that, right in front of him. I agree, I feel for those kids. He was a good guy .

I expect it will make the Thai language newspapers in the morning, if anyone has a link please post it here, or if someone sees it in the paper a scan uploaded to the site would be appreciated.

Is the deceased mans name sompon?

No, it is Nakorn, the ex Pu Yai Baan I guess, who was running for a higher position (kind of "Buergermeister"), wich he lost "this" time. But as sbk writes, he was here a very respected politician, liked personality, by thais and by farangs as well here, a good friend of mine to.

He just finished his house (it is very near). He is now at the temple in Srithanu, where you can pay respect to him, if you know him.

Very sorry for Apple and the kid's.

I was present there, the police where there and surched and observed the area until late night. The killer came with a bike, made his job (4 time shooting) and had a short talk with the deceased, Nakorn probably realised what's gonna happen. It is a big story for Koh Phangan and even we spend many years in this environment, even we know how things can happen here, THIS is far away of any zivilisation. It is not a mafia stuff, which still happen everywhere in Thailand,here it is pure politically. Even I have to say it's just my personal feeling. It is very very sad and after a beautiful happy Phangan-like Songkran, with Thai kids dancing to techno rythmen in the mainstreet. Happyness and Sadness

ham

I was waiting for that.... glad you didn't disappoint me. I'd hate to have people not be so predictable. :o

So far there is no confirmation of the story in the Thai Press, but considering it is Songkran it is still a little early to expect them to be on to the story of the murder of a former Kamnan on a small island. So, I have edited the topic title to show the unconfirmed nature of the story.

Given that there are 3 of us who have all heard the story, and I do plan on going to the funeral, I guess that will have to do until the papers actually pick it up. Would you like photos of the funeral when I go? Or perhaps you would prefer Ham (since he lives on that side of the island) to go take photos when he goes to the funeral?

Regardless, like BigC's story, I will wait a few more days to see if this actually shows up in the Thai press, anyone who finds an article please feel free to post it here. If nothing shows up then it will be closed, just like all the others :D

i heard the story too from a reliable source- but hey that is a good example of how slow the media is to pick up on things here, if at all...

Edited by girlx

sbk, there is a small message in the today's Thai Rat newspaper, page 15, column 4, bottom. I don't need to scann this!

the funeral will be saturday due to police advice, had chaopao is quiet under shock, that's my impression, there are many many people all day long and at night at the wat

ham

sbk, there is a small message in the today's Thai Rat newspaper, page 15, column 4, bottom. I don't need to scann this!

the funeral will be saturday due to police advice, had chaopao is quiet under shock, that's my impression, there are many many people all day long and at night at the wat

ham

Hi everybody. I rent his bungalows, I know all his family, we spent a lot of time together.

This is a TRUE story. I took his wife to the hospital after he was shot.

Buddhist ceremony is held at 7pm at Wat Seethanu for 7 days, since the 14th of April.

Luciano

Very sad. Unfortunatly, I am told, it's the Thai way. Life is cheap. I suppose as far as the press are concerned, this is just another shooting. I still can't get my head around this Buddhist thing, about what happens to you, is because of what you did in a previous life. What happens to the shooter? does he get shot next time round? It seems an endless vicious circle to me. :o

Please note that I have asked for a source from my second post, so I don't see that I have applied any different standards to this thread than to any others. If you have complaints about the way I have moderated this thread then please bring it up with admin as doing so in the open forum is against forum rules as set by admin.

I have heard that it is on the front page of the Daily news, my staff has a copy of it at her house and I will upload it today or tomorrow. Unless someone can find it on the internet. As stated before, I imagine with Songkran and everything associated with it, it is not as big of news as if it were any other time of year. Just too sad that Thai Rath relegated it to page 15 :o

As for the idea that taking photos at a funeral is "sick" I must add that every funeral I have been to (and in the past 19 years, I have been to many) photos are usually taken. In point of fact, a funeral I went to last week was videotaped. Suggest you read the Thai newspapers first before suggesting I am "sick", Shrubbery.

i heard that the motivation for the shooting may be something to do with selling bungalows to farang, but this is just rumor, i don;t give it much credibility.

the source of my OP was my wife who knows the victim and knows everyone who knows anyone in seethanu so i think the basic facts are accurate, i.e. he was shot.

i heard that the motivation for the shooting may be something to do with selling bungalows to farang, but this is just rumor, i don;t give it much credibility.

the source of my OP was my wife who knows the victim and knows everyone who knows anyone in seethanu so i think the basic facts are accurate, i.e. he was shot.

I rent (not buy) his bungalows. We were great friends. Please avoid writing thisd kind of bullshit.

L.

it is amazing how many people, day and night, join the ongoing ceremony at the bautiful temple site in Srithanu, taking part with the family's during this painful time, until the comming funeral. Never seen in Ko Phangan, everybody shows up.

May Budhha and his Monks take care and confort him

ham

I rent (not buy) his bungalows. We were great friends. Please avoid writing thisd kind of bullshit.

L.

Lucpez, please read stevehaigh's post on first para carefully, quote "but this is just rumor, i don;t give it much credibility." unquote. And I believe he was mentioning farangs in general, not at you. Chill man. :o

Anyway, my condolences to his loved ones.

I confirm ! this is a bulshit. Stay away from that !

Many thanks to Meadish Sweetball for this quick translation. His effort in this is greatly appreciated.

Evil assassins shoot formerly awarded kamnan in front of his son

Formerly awarded kamnan gunned down by contract killers

Shot dead in cold blood in front of his 15-year-old son.

Feigning interest in purchasing property, one of the assassins drew his weapon and shot. The victim managed to run inside his house but could not escape the murderers who followed in pursuit and fired at him in cold blood.

The police believe the motive is related to local politics, that is the Nayok Or Bor Tor (head of the sub-district administration) election in which he narrowly lost; but do not discount the possibility of a personal conflict.

The gruesome killing of the Kamnan occurred was investigated on 10 AM on the 14th of April by Phon Tamruat Thor Jaruun Uchuphaab, vice manager of Koh Phangan police district in Surat Thani province, together with Phon Tamruat Thor Puan Phornphrom came to Phor Gor Gor Sor Sor together with a group of officials to inspect house 51/9 Ban Sri Thanu Moo 8 Koh Phangan sub-district in order to search for additional evidence.

After nightfall on the 13th of April, two men armed with handguns, forced their way in to shoot Mr. Nakhon Ruangrod, aged 46, the owner of the house and former Kamnan of Koh Phangan sub-district, who (adjective???) passed away.

The investigation found four 11 mm shells in front of the house and took them as evidence. The 15-year old son of the victim who was at the scene of the crime gave a detailed description of the perpetrators to the police.

Around 8 PM on the 13th of April, Ror Tor Thor Likhit Chumchuay who was officer on duty at Koh Phangan police station received information from Koh Phangan Hospital that Mr. Nakhon had been shot three times by two men and was in a critical condition. His relatives sent him to hospital but the victim succumbed to his wounds and died shortly after being admitted. From the investigation it became known that the victim had earlier been awarded with a royal gold (something) in 1994, and had recently resigned from his post as Kamnan in order to run for Nayok Or Bor Tor of Koh Phangan, but did not win the elections.

When the event occurred, two men riding motorcycles parked in front of the house and made out as if they were interested in buying land, and when they were seated one took the opportunity of drawing his gun to open fire at the deceased, who however managed to narrowly escape the bullet and tried to run and hide inside the house. The murderers chased after him and fired three bullets into him right in front of his son.

The perpetrators escaped after doing their deed. Phon Tamruad Ehk Wutichai Thanthabun, head of Koh Phangan police station, says that the deceased was loved in the community and that during his years as Kamnam he took good care of the villagers, gave good advice, solved many problems and really cared for the members of the community.

As for his participation in the election for Nayok Or Bor Tor of Koh Phangan, he lost by only 90 votes to his opponent, and it has become known that the provincial election committee have not yet received the results of the election and are currently investigating the case, since a report has been filed against the winner.

At the initial stage, the police are working according to two hypotheses regarding the motive: a political conflict and/or a personal conflict, which lead to a contract for his death being issued by the aforementioned other party(??) who hired professional gunmen to carry out the assassination.

Due to complaints, a post members considered offensive and insensitive was removed. Lets hope posters in this thread will have consideration for the family and their loss.

PS. to breezein

I have been to the Temple and I've seen close relatives taking pictutes.

I didn't do it since I don't feel it, even if it could support the credibility of the news here.

But these ceremonies at the Temple are wonderful with a lot of people and monks coming from far away and having food and pray. Thailand is far away from any other western country so before calling anything sick, you should be a bit doubtful of your TRUTH and try to understand and see others' side.

actually lucpez, breezin was asking for that post to be removed as he felt it was disrespectful & not that actual person who posted it but yes, you are correct about thai funerals & what is acceptable & even expected being very different to western ones :o

Do Thais beleive in somehting like ' an eye for eye"?

Is it likely that such a murder is revenged? It seesm the person is well respected so I assume that many locals would know what went on behind the scenes. Considering the fact that most Thai families are rather large, I wonder what the course of action is from the family, not only in this case but also/mainly in general.