Samui Is A Dump!

Having visited Samui last week and found the place a complete mess !!

1) roads are a nightmare

2) building work everywhere

3) traffic worse than Bangkok

4) general dirtyness of the place

any more idea's...........

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1) roads are a nightmare

5) visitors that dont belong there.....

1) roads are a nightmare

6) inhabitants who think its as gr8 as it used to be

1) roads are a nightmare

Well done easer... Agreed... If you are unhappy with the surroundings (and unable to assist the local community)... Opionions are like (you know what) everyone has one.... :o

I am expressing my opinon about Samui, whether you agree or not thats your choice!! I won't be going back to Samui again and will find a better choice in the future.

5) Terrible ferry companies servicing the island :o

1) roads are a nightmare

I think that everytime I've come back from the mainland.

A lot of it is road work which addresses your first point so it isn't all bad.

Obviously you've never been to Bangkok. Seriously.

You should see the beaches after a heavy rain. I think the construction of better roads with proper drainage and pavement/sidewalks will improve the dirt factor.

1) roads are a nightmare

You should see the beaches after a heavy rain. I think the construction of better roads with proper drainage and pavement/sidewalks will improve the dirt factor.

Unfortunately we are going through a process which will take time (road works), long over due, but needed. When the heavy rains hit (and Gxx willing - the construction complete) we should see some relief. As with many communities, and in particular here, things do take time, and evenutally will allow us (as a community) to move onto bigger and better projects. I do hope that those that are "bashing" Samui - do return to see the positive improvements.

1) roads are a nightmare

Agree 100%, you could add expensive taxis with rude drivers.

Rip off and impolite vendors.

Lack of law & Order.

Money is now No.1 with most of the population, its paradise lost and it wont be back.

1) roads are a nightmare

Come on mate... as soon as you get to Don Sak the roads are excellent

I didn't see much work on the roads!! only building work..

I have been to Bangkok many times.... seriously :o

Beaches!! okay got me there... :D

I guess the other palces which are much better than Samui are either more developed or less developed. Do the less developed areas have better roads than Samui? That would be unusual. And the better developed obvioulsy went through a phase where the roads sucked then all the road construction was annoying but the end result was worth it. As stated above, it will take time.

Come on mate... as soon as you get to Don Sak the roads are excellent

That's what I said. Don Sak is on the mainland.

I didn't see much work on the roads!! only building work..

Here's a sign of the problem right here. Where I live road construction is everywhere. Bangrak beach road, the "Ghost Road" is worse than anything in Iraq, the Lake Road running north of Chaweng Lake - ALL are being widened and new drains installed.

So can you tell which building work you're talking about when you say it is everywhere? Because I thought you were talking about the roads.

I have been to Bangkok many times.... seriously :o

I've been on Samui only 8 months but I've never been stuck in traffic like in Bangkok. I can pretty much guarnatee you haven't either. It's ridiculous to compare.

Now, breezein is right - rip-off taxis and lack of law & order are BIG problems on Samui.

I guess the other palces which are much better than Samui are either more developed or less developed. Do the less developed areas have better roads than Samui? That would be unusual. And the better developed obvioulsy went through a phase where the roads sucked then all the road construction was annoying but the end result was worth it. As stated above, it will take time.

In all fairness, yes the property construction is a bit of a pain (not too mention safety issues - as we all saw in the Samui Express when the taxi lost out to the cement truck).. However, aside from the property development, road works here do take more time, getting the materials from teh mainland, construction machinery, and of course the manpower to do it. We only have 1 main road (Ring Road) and most of the other side roads are not made of the best materials (of course meaning the road from Tescos to Chaweng lake)..

Overall, we are taking things a bit slow, but progres is happening. Maybe not at Farang speed, but at least it is happening.

Of course, the safety factor (at night) with the areas going through road works are not up to snuff, but this is something that has to be accepted with the local system. (No flashing lights or signage to show road works in progress - Choengmon, where I am)..

Traffic problems, only durring major holidays from people from the main land trippling our volume...

Taxis - much better than they were a year ago (always room for improvement)

Dirty, well - can't fault you on that one... we are looking at other alternatives / systems on keeping Samui clean.

I stayed at the Maya Buri resort and had to use that sorry excuss of a road many times!! that was the only road work i saw... and it was going very SLOW... :o

Well, that's the worse road on the island to be sure. It would be nice if resorts would inform guests of the situation before they arrive. LOL.

Nice pool though at Maya Buri though.

I stayed at the Maya Buri resort and had to use that sorry excuss of a road many times!! that was the only road work i saw... and it was going very SLOW... :o

Well, that's the worse road on the island to be sure. It would be nice if resorts would inform guests of the situation before they arrive. LOL.

Hi Koheesti,

Agreed... one of the worst... Informing the guests of the situation though I highly doubt will ever happen. Challenging enough to get the people here - and as always, keeping as much hush hush about the negative points of the island under wraps....

Most resorts if not all, only are required to inform the guests (and agents) if any construction is happening on or next to the hotel/resort they book. (Not road works..)

I stayed at the Maya Buri resort and had to use that sorry excuss of a road many times!! that was the only road work i saw... and it was going very SLOW... :D

Hi Koheesti,

Agreed... one of the worst... Informing the guests of the situation though I highly doubt will ever happen. Challenging enough to get the people here - and as always, keeping as much hush hush about the negative points of the island under wraps....

Most resorts if not all, only are required to inform the guests (and agents) if any construction is happening on or next to the hotel/resort they book. (Not road works..)

I agree, i booked and paid for 3 nights and would have stayed longer if the road wasn't so bad. Live and learn......... :o:D

I can never understand these posts about Samui.

I visited last Christmas and really liked the place.

The roads were no better or worse than in the rest of Thailand (on average). A bit narrow, but it is an island....

I noticed some building work, but wouldn't have said it was everywhere. Construction is a necessity.

Yes, the roads were busy, but again.. it is an island... do you want four lane highways ?

Finally, I can't say I found it a dirty place, maybe I am making comparisons just to the other parts of Thailand I have seen and as with the roads I can say it is no different from elsewhere in Thailand

All in all, I really liked Samui and will return again, and certainly have no complaints.. maybe I'm easily pleased.... :o

Totster :D

If you had posted earlier, asking for advice (http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=178750&mode=threaded)

Maybe your opinion would be better.

Hey Totster where else in Thailand have you been?

Having lived in Samui for 4 years I have just completed a move to Isaan in Buriram province.

I dont think that anyone in their right senses can argue the fact that samui's roads are in a disgusting state. When they are repaired it is only ever a quick fix and not a long lasting heavy duty repair to withstand the damage from the many heavy cement lorries travelling everywhere. We are also all aware that this is due to mismanagement from the corrupt governing bodies in both Samui and Suratthani and the funds that should be available for the road system gets shoved sideways into other projects, pockets or whatever.

Now I can say that the roads in Isaan are probably the best I have seen anywhere in the world, in fact from Dansac all the way up here was a pleasure to drive apart from the odd maintenance roadworks.

I can only think that while you were on holiday you were travelling around in a vip minibus looking around at the sites and not steering around the potholes.

Glad you enjoyed your holiday though, it is still a great atmosphere on Samui and I certainly intend to return there for a break now and then.

Happylarry :o

Actually Totster also lives in Isaan and I also do not understand his comments about the roads.

The roads up here in Real Thailand are of much better quality than Samui.

I also found the people on Samui to be a greedy selfish lot. (Thai and Farangs) With some exceptions of course.

one can only be sad the OP for the conclusions on his visit.

Ir is disapointing to hear someone referring to your home as a dump...however that is hes experience.

hopefully by next time he arrives we will have great roads and great service and all the municipal work will be in order. and we will be all clean and tidy just like top world destinations....

ohh yess and the prices for staying will be higher maybe even extremely higher...

because when you come to a tourist destination that is well maintained and looked after and all clean with good service and facilities someone has to pay for it and its the tourist.

I am sure the OP will love to come back and payEuropean prices for his holiday.

Samui may not be Xanadu but its still rocks as one of the best places for a holiday, it is not perfect but then again you don't pay so much.

Actually Totster also lives in Isaan and I also do not understand his comments about the roads.

I also found the people on Samui to be a greedy selfish lot. (Thai and Farangs) With some exceptions of course.

THANK YOU Lite Beer!!!! Took the words right out of my mouth!...I agree that roads and infrastructure, etc really need some work, but by far the single worst thing about Samui is the people (and again agree, non-Thais AND Thais).

one can only be sad the OP for the conclusions on his visit.

The OP satyed at Maya Buri on the ghost road (bond kai). No way he would come away with a nice impression after all the planning, spending and coming all the way here just to be off a road that wasn't even passable. It was a bad situation to be sure.

Happylarry :D

THANK YOU Lite Beer!!!! Took the words right out of my mouth!...I agree that roads and infrastructure, etc really need some work, but by far the single worst thing about Samui is the people (and again agree, non-Thais AND Thais).

thank you

on behalf of the people of Samui we love you too :o and we wish you a great ride on the way back to your lovely home.

Happylarry :D

thank you

on behalf of the people of Samui we love you too :D and we wish you a great ride on the way back to your lovely home.

Ya? (not sure who gave you the right to speak for "the people of Samui"...would love to know who that is exactly :D ) thanks Mr Spock :D Unfortunately, you will have to put with me for awhile...lived here three years already and no plans to leave anytime soon (i.e. this IS home) :o