The Humble Potato

LaoPo

To begin with...I don't know ANYTHING about farming, but with the ever rising prices for rice I asked myself if there are any -maybe more- chances in Thailand for growing Potatoes...? WHY NOT ?

As other staples soar, potatoes break new ground

Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:01am EDT By Terry Wade

LIMA (Reuters) - As wheat and rice prices surge, the humble potato -- long derided as a boring tuber prone to making you fat -- is being rediscovered as a nutritious crop that could cheaply feed an increasingly hungry world.

Potatoes, which are native to Peru, can be grown at almost any elevation or climate: from the barren, frigid slopes of the Andes Mountains to the tropical flatlands of Asia. They require very little water, mature in as little as 50 days, and can yield between two and four times more food per hectare than wheat or rice.

"The shocks to the food supply are very real and that means we could potentially be moving into a reality where there is not enough food to feed the world," said Pamela Anderson, director of the International Potato Center in Lima (CIP), a non-profit scientific group researching the potato family to promote food security.

Like others, she says the potato is part of the solution.

The potato has potential as an antidote to hunger caused by higher food prices, a population that is growing by one billion people each decade, climbing costs for fertilizer and diesel, and more cropland being sown for biofuel production.

To focus attention on this, the United Nations named 2008 the International Year of the Potato, calling the vegetable a "hidden treasure".

Governments are also turning to the tuber. Peru's leaders, frustrated by a doubling of wheat prices in the past year, have started a program encouraging bakers to use potato flour to make bread. Potato bread is being given to school children, prisoners and the military, in the hope the trend will catch on.

Supporters say it tastes just as good as wheat bread, but not enough mills are set up to make potato flour.

"We have to change people's eating habits," said Ismael Benavides, Peru's agriculture minister. "People got addicted to wheat when it was cheap."

Even though the potato emerged in Peru 8,000 years ago near Lake Titicaca, Peruvians eat fewer potatoes than people in Europe: Belarus leads the world in potato consumption, with each inhabitant of the eastern European state devouring an average of 376 pounds (171 kg) a year.

India has told food experts it wants to double potato production in the next five to 10 years. China, a huge rice consumer that historically has suffered devastating famines, has become the world's top potato grower. In Sub-Saharan Africa, the potato is expanding more than any other crop right now.

Some consumers are switching to potatoes. In the Baltic country of Latvia, sharp price rises caused bread sales to drop by 10-15 percent in January and February, as consumers bought 20 percent more potatoes, food producers have said.

The developing world is where most new potato crops are being planted, and as consumption rises poor farmers have a chance to earn more money.

"The countries themselves are looking at the potato as a good option for both food security and also income generation," Anderson said.

AFFORDABLE RAINBOW OF COLORS

The potato is already the world's third most-important food crop after wheat and rice. Corn, which is widely planted, is mainly used for animal feed.

Though most Americans associate potatoes with the bland Idaho variety, they actually come in some 5,000 types. Peru is sending thousands of seeds this year to the Doomsday Vault near the Arctic Circle, contributing to a gene bank for food crops that was set up in case of a global disaster.

With colors ranging from alabaster-white to bright yellow and deep purple and countless shapes, textures, and sizes, potatoes offer inventive chefs a chance to create new, eye-catching plates.

"They taste great," said Juan Carlos Mescco, 17, a potato farmer in Peru's Andes who says he frequently eats them sliced, boiled, or mashed from breakfast through dinner.

Potatoes are a great source of complex carbohydrates, which release their energy slowly, and -- so long as they are not smothered with butter -- have only five percent of the fat content of wheat.

They also have one-fourth of the calories of bread and, when boiled, have more protein than corn and nearly twice the calcium, according to the Potato Center. They contain vitamin C, iron, potassium and zinc.

SPECULATORS AREN'T TEMPTED

One factor helping the potato remain affordable is the fact that unlike wheat, it is not a global commodity, so has not attracted speculative professional investment.

Each year, farmers around the globe produce about 600 million metric tonnes of wheat, and about 17 percent of that flows into foreign trade.

Wheat production is almost double that of potato output. Analysts estimate less than 5 percent of potatoes are traded internationally, and prices are mainly driven by local tastes, instead of international demand.

Raw potatoes are heavy and can rot in transit, so global trade in them has been slow to take off. They are also susceptible to infection with pathogens, hampering export to avoid spreading plant diseases.

The downside to that is that prices in some countries aren't attractive enough to persuade farmers to grow them. People in Peruvian markets say the government needs to help lift demand.

"Prices are low. It doesn't pay to work with potatoes," said Juana Villavicencio, who spent 15 years planting potatoes and now sells them for pennies a kilo in a market in Cusco, in Peru's southern Andes.

But science is moving fast. Genetically modified potatoes that resist "late blight" are being developed by German chemicals group BASF. The disease led to famine in Ireland during the 19th century and still causes about 20 percent of potato harvest losses in the world, the company says.

Scientists say farmers who use clean, virus-free seeds can boost yields by 30 percent and be cleared for export.

That would generate more income for farmers and encourage more production as companies could sell specialty potatoes abroad, instead of just as frozen french fries or potato chips.

http://www.reuters.com/article/newsOne/idU...0080415?sp=true

Important link about food and rice with map and charts:

http://www.reuters.com/news/globalcoverage/agflation

LaoPo

"The shocks to the food supply are very real and that means we could potentially be moving into a reality where there is not enough food to feed the world," said Pamela Anderson, director of the International Potato Center in Lima''

From Baywatch to potatoes whatever next.

On a serious note a great article that rings true. On my land we have a few potatoes that grow very well but I'm the only one that eats them, when I make mash or fries the family turns their nose up at it. But then again it could be my cooking!

"The shocks to the food supply are very real and that means we could potentially be moving into a reality where there is not enough food to feed the world," said Pamela Anderson, director of the International Potato Center in Lima''

On a serious note a great article that rings true. On my land we have a few potatoes that grow very well but I'm the only one that eats them, when I make mash or fries the family turns their nose up at it. But then again it could be my cooking!

Are you growing Potatoes in Thailand? Are they the Thai Potatoes or farang. I noticed it is quite tough to get Farang style taters to take & grow & other posters have not had to much luck except with the small Potatoes.I am curious as If you have found a way to grow the big spuds I would love to know the secret( along with the rest of this forum I am sure!)

Are you growing Potatoes in Thailand? Are they the Thai Potatoes or farang. I noticed it is quite tough to get Farang style taters to take & grow & other posters have not had to much luck except with the small Potatoes.I am curious as If you have found a way to grow the big spuds I would love to know the secret( along with the rest of this forum I am sure!)

Me too. I live in the central region about 65 km southwest of Khampaeng Phet.

When I go and do my monthly bulk shopping in Nakhon Sawan I can buy potatos at about 25 baht/kg. Here in the village they are 50 baht/kg

Maybe SAP will post a few clues for you,Phil manages one of the larger potato growing enterprises here in Los, from memory he uses an American variety, their growing season is pretty specific here in our climate .I think they plant plant late in the calendar year and harvest early in the New Year.

I am sure he has posted re potato growing so a search may turn something up for you.

Me too. I live in the central region about 65 km southwest of Khampaeng Phet.

When I go and do my monthly bulk shopping in Nakhon Sawan I can buy potatos at about 25 baht/kg. Here in the village they are 50 baht/kg

Same here, 50 baht local for fairly reasonable spuds, same at Tesco for chatty ones a pig would turn his nose up at. Big C in Udon same price but better quality.

My wife got some huge potatoes at the fresh market the other day. So far I have had two of them. I have no idea what kind they are but they taste really bad. The smaller ones she usually finds are quite tasty. I told her not to buy any more from that vendor. The smaller smooth skinned potatoes are quite sweet.

I dont know the history of spuds in Thailand,but as the Thais are not very partial to them I would surmise that the main varieties here are specifically for the french fry and potato chip industries.

Those varieties are not the bees knees for baking or creaming,

I am a fan of creamed potato with plenty of butter and milk ,but I find the big spuds have lots of lumps in them that the beater wont break down,plus the lumps taste sour.

Oh ,for a feed of pink-eyes,brownells, up to dates or King Williams.

We have five large raised beds 2x4x2 meters along the side of the house in which we grow various vegetables for salads which is where we grew the potatoes. They weren't very big but great in a salad, as far what type they are I have no idea as its the wifes area of expertise. When making mash and fries I still have to buy them from the market.

Some years ago i met a Potato farmer aprox half way between C.Mai and Lampang.

I forget the name of the place so cannot provide more details on exactly were.

Anyway we were talking and he mentioned he was growing potatos and i remarked he must be making big money as i paid 55 baht a kilo for them.

He told me he only got six yes 6 baht per kilo for them and said that was all he could get ??????

He also said i was welcome to visit anytime i was passing and i could have them at the same price he got from the merchants who bought them from him.

Unfortunately i never did go back to see him as i moved away from the area.

Not unlike the rice situation now regarding how much the actual farmer gets for his labours and what the middle men make out of it and those above of course.

Sadly, soon, many will not be able to afford to pay for basic substenance, while the ones able to, will also exploit there situation to the full and boost their bank accounts accordingly.

marshbags.

P.S.

I cannot fathom out why the P.M. is making deals with other countries to export the rice, while ignoring what is developing into a serious food shortage problem for those who depend on it, and the price effectively putting it out of their reach at the same time.

Yes he has mentioned his so called concerns on the Thai situation ect., but as in all cases related to those who matter, these along with his promises to do something for them and in particular for the less well off are disingenuous and empty words up until now.

A crisis is already starting to appear / develop in my local area of the N.East with locals choosing to cut back on their already basic diets.

Edited by marshbags

For nutrictional purposes what is the value of the humble Thai potato and also the comparisons farming wise here ???

Can they be grown in the veggy garden without much trouble ???

I often buy a few bahts worth to nibble on and wonder if these would be a good substitute for the expensive rice and ordinary potato as we farang know them.

Boiled and fried

I am amazed at how many different varieties there are.

marshbags

We have five large raised beds 2x4x2 meters along the side of the house in which we grow various vegetables for salads which is where we grew the potatoes. They weren't very big but great in a salad, as far what type they are I have no idea as its the wifes area of expertise. When making mash and fries I still have to buy them from the market.

I was afraid of that . The nit naugi variety are not hard to grow But the big spuds.....Still waiting!

I was afraid of that . The nit naugi variety are not hard to grow But the big spuds.....Still waiting!

I found some big potatoes at the local fresh market but they taste awful. The small ones taste fine.

post-17093-1208423045_thumb.jpg

Hi LaoPo,

I think the idea of growing more potatoes in Peru to substitute rice and wheat makes sense, but to apply the same concept to Thailand should mean growing things like cassava, sweet potatoes, taro and bananas because these crops give high yields of starchy carbohydrates in Thailand's tropical climate whereas potatoes don't.

Best regards,

JB.

To begin with...I don't know ANYTHING about farming, but with the ever rising prices for rice I asked myself if there are any -maybe more- chances in Thailand for growing Potatoes...? WHY NOT ?

LaoPo[/color]

Edited by JungleBiker

I Wish I Wish I could grow potatoes, Ive tried many ways over the last 2 years, raised shaded salad beds, 12 taters planted, 12 golfball sized tates from all the plants after 3 months, ok, very tasty, but gone in 1 meal,after reading all the posts on a potatoe forum here, i decided to try to make the ground cooler, I cultivated the ground, 12inches deep, 1 yard across 3 yards long, in the middle i burried the borehole irrigation pipe, the pump runs 2hrs a day and about 6 hrs at night, when the tates first appeared, i put rice stalks over 50 % of them and the rest uncovered, bearing in mind this is all taking place under the shade of a large Tamarind tree, that was last november, i dug them up in early March, same result, but more golfballs, 30 odd!! I would dearly love to dig up a good root of King Edwards or Majestic, but i dont think its possibble 50ks south of the Mekong, and as Gary A says, the bigger the spud the worse it tastes,

More world new on the spud front:

BASF wants EU to eat genetically modified potatoes

Published: 20 Apr 08 09:47 CET

Online: http://www.thelocal.de/11405/

German chemical giant BASF is cranking up pressure on the European Commission to get its green light for a genetically modified potato, a world first the company has decided deserves a few pages of advertising.

It wrote an open letter to the European Union's executive branch and bought newspaper pages to present its case after a meeting with EU environment minister Stravos Dimas ended in failure last week.

BASF has grown increasingly irritated with the commission, which has not authorized genetically modified organisms (GMOs) since 1998, and is pushing hard for a patent on its potato.

"Is is safe and protects the environment," BASF board member Stefan Marcinowski claimed in a letter printed in several major German dailies on Thursday.

He pressed Brussels to make a decision "without further delay" on a process that was launched in 2006.

In southwestern Germany, meanwhile, a tractor furrows soil amid apparently ordinary gardeners as they cultivate what BASF hopes will be a blockbuster crop.

"Take a look, it's like any other potato, just a bit smaller," suggests a spokeswoman for Plant Science, a BASF unit specializing in biotechnologies.

She stood next to several rows that were planted in front of the group's headquarters in Limburgerhof.

Dubbed Amflora and destined for the European market, the chemical company's humble potato has been altered to bolster its content in amylopectine, a constituent of starch used in textiles, concrete and paper.

Residue of the potato crop was to be mixed into animal feed. BASF wants to obtain the world's first patent for its genetically modified potato.

Estimated gains along the entire production chain amount €100 million per year.

"But no one needs it," countered Jutta Jaksche, an expert who works with the consumer protection association Vzbv. "Consumers don't want GMOs, and industry has other technical means to use starch," she added.

Ecologists opposed to GMOs cite the risk of cross pollenization of potatoes destined for human consumption, since Amflora resists antibiotics and could weaken the effects of medical treatments if edible potatoes were pollentated.

"And the BASF product is really old, the technique is obsolete," added Annemarie Volling, a coordinator for non-GMO agricultural zones in Germany who said Amflora was originally conceived 12 years ago.

"BASF just wants to make money and sell the world's first transgenic potato."

To which the BASF spokeswoman replied: "We already eat seedless raisins ... and no one says a word. At any rate, biotechnologies are a fact of life. The question is whether or not Europe will be a part of them."

BASF has pulled out all the stops. The world's leading chemical group sells a wide range of agricultural products including fertilisers and pesticides and is involved in full-scale development of GMO projects.

At Plant Science's farm, behind the rows of Amfora stand rows of greenhouses to which the public is admitted only amidst tight security measures.

Visitors remain on pathways and are instructed not to touch the plants, some of which are wrapped in mosquito netting to prevent pollen from escaping.

"That is rapeseed we are testing, it is bolstered by Omega 3 like that you find in fish," the spokeswoman said.

Elsewhere, rows of flower pots are also covered in netting and their contents identified with yellow plastic markers.

For about a year, BASF has collaborated with the US group Monsanto, at the epicentre of the GMO debate, to develop soja, cotton, rapeseed and corn.

The two groups hope to bring to market by 2012, once it overcomes popular resistanceM - a strain of corn that is resistant to drought.

rice555

I Wish I Wish I could grow potatoes, Ive tried many ways over the last 2 years, raised shaded salad beds, 12 taters planted, 12 golfball sized tates from all the plants after 3 months, ok, very tasty, but gone in 1 meal,after reading all the posts on a potatoe forum here, i decided to try to make the ground cooler, I cultivated the ground, 12inches deep, 1 yard across 3 yards long, in the middle i burried the borehole irrigation pipe, the pump runs 2hrs a day and about 6 hrs at night, when the tates first appeared, i put rice stalks over 50 % of them and the rest uncovered, bearing in mind this is all taking place under the shade of a large Tamarind tree, that was last november, i dug them up in early March, same result, but more golfballs, 30 odd!! I would dearly love to dig up a good root of King Edwards or Majestic, but i dont think its possibble 50ks south of the Mekong, and as Gary A says, the bigger the spud the worse it tastes,

We planted some King Eddies on the side of our wee mountain(actually part of a national park.)last year and woz looking forward to some with egg and beans until one morning on last jolli found that the locals :o ....somewhere ...about 100 miles away....were playing at.............

...prob nicely Roasted... :D

anyway got the lads in so hopefully wont happen again and wll have better luck next time.... :D