I Have Free International Atm Cards

sadly, all my free international unlimited atm cards are strictly atm. i can't use them to pay for a hotel or book a flight. i am getting slaughtered here with these "international transaction fees". any help is appreciated.

edit... it can be a credit card or a bank issued debit card.

edit 2... i am an american.

Edited by YoungFarang13

Epassporte is a good option, they give you an ATM card and a virtual credit card that can be used online. The ATM can also be used as a visa debit card.

You'll have to check the website but I think the annual fees are $5 for the virtual card and $35 for the ATM visa card, you can only purchase the virtual card if you dont need the ATM.

https://www.epassporte.com

epassporte sounds like a major ripoff unless perhaps if wanting to transfer money between other account holders for free.

doing 'normal' shopping etc all incurs charges :-(

most banks can do better than that!

for me however being dependent on the mighty euro & living outside euro zone I find it impossible so far to find what the OP was looking for: atm, debit & credit cards denominated in EUR with low or none fees especially the dreaded currency conversions loading that typically range in 1-5% instant loss :-(

I'm even willing to pay for such an account (offshore) as long as there would be max 1% conversion charges & no or max some 2€ atm withdrawel fees (typical fees 0-5€).

What I got is Citibank Germany ATM & Credit cards, but the credit cards loads 3.65% on every single non EUR transaction i.e. in THB, SGD etc so it's simple not worth using it except for emergencies!

The ATM card CAN get free withdrawels, but only in CB ATM's & there's only 1 in LOS (Sathorn Rd) & last time I was there the notes got jammed in the maschine & it took me many calls to Germany to recover my 'loss'!!!

Other ATM's charges are €3.90.

Most interesting would be debit/credit card - any suggestions?

Any aware of any banks in Singapore, Bangkok, Hong Kong etc that will issues EUR debit/credit cards (with fair conditions)???

Most banks these days issue debit cards with visa logo. I suggest you get one of those.

Even tho' most banks guarantee against fraudulent use of your debit card, that doesn't preclude your bank account from getting cleaned out. Yes, eventually the bank should reload it for you. But hanging out for that to occur doesn't seem too attractive. (And if it's a Thai bank, you may *not* get it all back.)

Using a debit card says you pay-up in full every month (actually, you pay-up in full at every transaction). So, paying off a credit card in full every month gets you to the same spot. Plus, if fraud occurs, your bank account isn't hit; and you're liable for zip in most cases. A lot cleaner situation, IMO.

sadly, all my free international unlimited atm cards are strictly atm. i can't use them to pay for a hotel or book a flight. i am getting slaughtered here with these "international transaction fees". any help is appreciated.

edit... it can be a credit card or a bank issued debit card.

edit 2... i am an american.

I stopped using my US credit cards for this very reason - plus, by the time some of the merchants hit you with a fee, you could wind up paying 6% just to use your credit card!

Alas, I have never found a good alternative to this problem except getting a Thai credit card. Westerners have had mixed success here with getting unsecured credit cards, but if you are here and working legally with a decent salary, it is possible.

I have serious reservations about using my local Visa electron anywhere but the ATM, and I never do. I am not sure if it can be used to purchase airline tickets, etc., but you might as well use cash at that point - travel agents here don't cost much to book through.

Edited by Furbie

Most banks these days issue debit cards with visa logo. I suggest you get one of those.

Even tho' most banks guarantee against fraudulent use of your debit card, that doesn't preclude your bank account from getting cleaned out. Yes, eventually the bank should reload it for you. But hanging out for that to occur doesn't seem too attractive. (And if it's a Thai bank, you may *not* get it all back.)

Using a debit card says you pay-up in full every month (actually, you pay-up in full at every transaction). So, paying off a credit card in full every month gets you to the same spot. Plus, if fraud occurs, your bank account isn't hit; and you're liable for zip in most cases. A lot cleaner situation, IMO.

Theoretically, your bank account can be 'cleaned out' but there are certain guarantees in place in the event of fraud. Visa once satisfied that fraud has taken place will refund the cash stolen. Plus these days chip and pin is in place.

I say use a debit card online; but always check your bank statements or balance online every couple of days. Plus with banks only paying 0.10% on current account balances, I keep only a few thousand quid maximum in a current/cheque account.

There was a pre-pay Kasikorn Bank internet mastercard available last year. Worth checking that out on their website.