Air Cons

jaideeguy

What a load of wusses hehehehehheh.ONLY use aircon in the second bedroon when a few of us mad stokies are in listening to the mighty potters on computer.I have ceiling fans and static fans and thats enough for us.Aircon also gives me a sore throat so i dont use too much.

my bills are only 800 baht a month,not bad for a tent is it heheheheh.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Never. I have an ECO house which allows natural air flow throughout and is cool even at this time of the year. My electricity bill is peanuts. :D

we too have an "ECO" house (used as holiday home once in a blue moon) where aircon is never used. but this house is located 2,260 meters above sea level and it's <deleted> cold in our "ECO" house from october till march if we don't use heating :D

also... the electricity bill of our "ECO" house is rather low. reason = see above :o

we also have an "ECO" car at our "ECO" house which is very fuel efficient. if i am not mistaken we only filled it up once in 2007 :D best of all is our "ECO" fridge in our "ECO" house! it does not consume any electricity as we don't plug it into the socket.

p.s. in addition we own several pieces of strings. some are longer and some are shorter than other pieces of strings. i could never figure out why :D

About 12 hours a day on average, sometimes put the units on timer but most nights left running.

I would be interested in what temperature others set their aircon to.

Currently with 35 degrees outside during the day i'm happy with 28 when I get home, but either of us might click down to 26/27 degrees when sleeping.

house 26-27ºC, bedroom cooling down to 18ºC (with 2 ACs) before retiring and then set one AC at 25ºC for the night, other one off.

Naam

Now you have confused me. I thought from previous posts that you were an a/c "expert".

Why are you cooling to 18C? (and where on the keyboard do you find that little "degree" character?)

That is COLD!

If you want 25C, why not set it there? That a/c probably doesn't kick in for hours until the temp gets back to 25C. But in terms of energy use I would think it takes way more to get down to 18C than just to go for 25C in the first place.

Also, why not use the "sleep" function to do something similar. Set it to start at 23C for example then it will adjust to 25C over the next few hours.

You will find the ° sign where the # 4 is. Press Alt Gr (thats at the right hand side of your space bar) and 4 together and you will see a ° This you can use for all the little signs at the right side of your numbers.

About 12 hours a day on average, sometimes put the units on timer but most nights left running.

I would be interested in what temperature others set their aircon to.

Currently with 35 degrees outside during the day i'm happy with 28 when I get home, but either of us might click down to 26/27 degrees when sleeping.

house 26-27ºC, bedroom cooling down to 18ºC (with 2 ACs) before retiring and then set one AC at 25ºC for the night, other one off.

Naam

Now you have confused me. I thought from previous posts that you were an a/c "expert".

Why are you cooling to 18C? (and where on the keyboard do you find that little "degree" character?)

That is COLD!

If you want 25C, why not set it there? That a/c probably doesn't kick in for hours until the temp gets back to 25C. But in terms of energy use I would think it takes way more to get down to 18C than just to go for 25C in the first place.

Also, why not use the "sleep" function to do something similar. Set it to start at 23C for example then it will adjust to 25C over the next few hours.

explanation:

-i prefer a rather cool bedroom starting to sleep but i hate draft be it from celing fans or aircons,

-it takes indeed some hours till the bedroom warms up to >25ºC again and the compressor kicks in,

-by that time i find 25º a comfortable temperature (sometimes even a wee bit too cold) and it's about time for me to get up (i am an early bird),

-when i get up i switch both ACs at the lowest settings again (which for Daikin is 18º) because the night owl wife i am married to will go to bed soon and she likes an <deleted> cold room temperature.

in our former home we had a 3½ ton AC (central AC with ducts) installed just for the bedroom. the bedroom was cooled down to 12-13º and then the AC was switched off.

since quite some time i am trying to trick the Daikin electronic system in order to keep the compressors running and achieve a lower temperature than 18º, unfortunately without any success :o that problem was discussed in my house with one of the ThaiVisa electric/electronic gurus ElKangorito. we (theoretically) managed to find a solution (which still has to be implemented when ElKangorito finds the time :D

the degree º character is not on my keyboard. but with any keyboard you can generate a zillion different characters by holding down the "alt" key, typing on the numeric pad a 1,2 or 3-digit code and then releasing the "alt" key.

examples: ◙ ♂ ♀ ♪ ♫ ☼ ► ◄ ü ä ö û ° ∙ ¥ £ ù ÿ é à å ç ê you find a table for this code when you google for "ASCII codes"

please send a 10Baht coin by PM attachment for this lesson :D

I have ceiling fans and static fans and thats enough for us.

some men prefer women with big boobs and big butts, others prefer slim no-tit/no-butt ladies. our fellow gay friends have their own preferences. this world would be boring if our preferences would be all the same. what about those workers who earn their living assembling airconditioners if we'd all prefer fans? :o

About 8 hrs, use fan and AC at night, fan during the day unless it is just blazing hot, so I turn on the AC in the home office area and my boy takes a nap @ the same time. I have been told our AC electric bill is around 5K at night. There are 2 ACs that run at night.

I have pretty much gotten used to the idea of using ACs periodically rather than 24/7 like in the states. I remember living in El Paso Texas and comming home from the office early, and there would be my lovely Thai bride cooking with the AC off and I felt like I was going to choke.

We eventually bought a small AC for the bedroom, and our electric bill decreased around 60%.

I have been told our AC electric bill is around 5K at night.

that's quite interesting :o how much do you pay when you use your AC during daytime?

Naam, do you think if you lived and slept in one of these it would be more comfortable and less costly? :D

The GF is quite comfortable sleeping with the fan on all night but the fast moving air dries my eyes up something rotten. Do fans give anyone else this problem or am I just a whimp?

I'm happy with the a/c gently running at 28º these days (day or night time), then it's not quite such a shock when venturing away from the keyboad out into the big (hot) wide world :o .

BTW, if you're typing on Apple Mac, the degree symbol is accessed by pressing the "alt" key along with the "zero" key. Much more civilised don't you think :D .

average 5-7 hours a day.some years ago i was given a prototype eloctronic plug in box,i see they are now for sale in pattaya imported from taiwan,mine came from uk.it really does work,about 20 per cent off the bill.

before you ask i have no connection with the makers or sellers of these things

Naam, do you think if you lived and slept in one of these it would be more comfortable and less costly? :D

i don't think i overdo it by cooling my house to an average temperature of 26/27 degrees. and the same goes for the number of aircons i installed. would anybody raise objections because homeowners in Canada (or in any country with cold winters) install heaters in all their rooms? :o

Never. I have an ECO house which allows natural air flow throughout and is cool even at this time of the year. My electricity bill is peanuts. :D

So how do you keep it below the ambient temps outside? Is it on top of big poles? I mean if ambient temp is 40 c you cannot get this lower without air can u?

I live on Phuket, and not on top of any mountains in any of the northerly provinces Naam :o

My brief to my farang architect was that I wanted a house, specifically without aircon, which would utilize natural thermal airflow.

I now live in a gorgeous split-level 3 storey house, which is cool all year round.

And I'm able to take full advantage of the lovely tropical climate (and having relocated from the UK, that was a must), without the need for electricity guzzling expensive aircon units. I also run a pool pump, and my electricity bill is never above 1500 baht per month. If I didn't have the pool, 500 baht would be the maximum amount I would have to pay each month. :D

I am a bit of an AC freak because I really don't do well with heat. Like another poster mentioned, I don't really like fans blowing on me either. My Thai friend is always turning the fans on and I am always turning them off. Never could get used to a fan blowing on me. I do better just sitting and cooking than with a fan on for prolonged periods of times.

At night I have the AC on and a fan on a low setting because those occasional mosquitoes that are in the bedroom drive me nuts!

The other problem I have is that I am a very light sleeper and the noise (which isn't much) in the neighborhood wakes me up. Dogs barking in the distance, the roar of a motorcycle on the main road which is a ways away will arouse me. With the AC on, and everything shut up, I sleep like a baby.

Our living room is fairly large (for the house size) and airy with no need for the aircon (perhaps 4 times in a year) but ceiling fans and tall fans as well. The baby likes it cook but usually a fan is enough however the last month or so we've had the aircon on for her as well from 6pm or so until she wakes up and we have the aircon on at 24c all night. If I am watching TV in the bedroom I have the aircon on as it has les natural ventilation.

Electric bills are a fraction of the condo (both at govt rate) at about Bt1500 though I suspect this month it will break Bt2000 as it is much hotter and more humid which means it will use more electric to get the same result.

Being from the USA Pacific Northwest where 99% of the housing is wood construction, it was quite hard getting used to an all masonry home (as I live in, here in Thailand), where the masonry soaks up the sun's heat all day long, and transfers it to the interior of the house at night. Unfortunately, my office and bedroom face the west which gets the most intense sun at the hottest part of the day. At night, the walls feel like an oven; thus the poor A/C unit suffers to counteract this natural thermal transfer.

There's something to be said for most of my Isaan neighbors who whose second levels are almost always constructed of 100% wood (with large gaps in the walls, and gaps between the roof and walls, to boot!). They stay considerably cooler at night, even with a mosquito net blocking some of the breeze from fans.

If I ever buy or build in LOS, it will be with a critical eye toward the positioning of the home in relationship to the sun, especially the bedroom.

Being from the USA Pacific Northwest where 99% of the housing is wood construction, it was quite hard getting used to an all masonry home (as I live in, here in Thailand), where the masonry soaks up the sun's heat all day long, and transfers it to the interior of the house at night.

Trade off. Masonry = resistance to rot, storms, termites and better fire containment quality.

I'll take the cement box anytime.

Being from the USA Pacific Northwest where 99% of the housing is wood construction..

it must have been quite some time that you left that area TopTuan. timber in the U.S. has become since a number of years so expensive that it is hardly used anymore for outside walls (except for upper stories). the going practice since middle of the 90s is using hollow cement blocks.

I now live in a gorgeous split-level 3 storey house, which is cool all year round.

please define "cool" in ºC or if you prefer in ºF otherwise the proverbial question "how long is a piece of string?" applies. whatever "thermal airflow" you are using cannot cool the temperature below the minimum ambient outside temperature and no architect on this planet is able to change the laws of physics. not in Phuket, not in Pattaya, not in Alaska and not in Siberia.

i assume that you refer to a constant airflow which exists because you live in a three-story house (chimney effect) that causes some evaporation cooling on the skin of those who live in the house. but as mentioned, it does not bring down the airtemperature. besides... what you might consider as "cool" might be for others "stifling heat".

please define "cool" in ºC or if you prefer in ºF otherwise the proverbial question "how long is a piece of string?" applies. whatever "thermal airflow" you are using cannot cool the temperature below the minimum ambient outside temperature and no architect on this planet is able to change the laws of physics. not in Phuket, not in Pattaya, not in Alaska and not in Siberia.

i assume that you refer to a constant airflow which exists because you live in a three-story house (chimney effect) that causes some evaporation cooling on the skin of those who live in the house. but as mentioned, it does not bring down the airtemperature. besides... what you might consider as "cool" might be for others "stifling heat".

Now I like you Naam, I truly do. You've been very helpful in the past regards my teething problems with pool pump.

BUT. You do seem to be a dog with a bone on this one.

I am telling you, that my three storey, ECOLOGICALLY (yep, gather you don't like that word) specially designed house, is cooler, much cooler inside than out, without the need for energy guzzling, sore throat inducing, bacteria harboring expensive aircon units.

Everyone who's visited my house has truly been taken aback by how cool it is. 'Wot, no aircon?' And regretted building a house totally unsuited to the country in which it is situated, and not bothering to take into account the fact that this country can be as hot as Hedes when considering their energy requirements.

Eco houses ARE the future. And , they save you money. A LOT of money :o

Being from the USA Pacific Northwest where 99% of the housing is wood construction..

it must have been quite some time that you left that area TopTuan. timber in the U.S. has become since a number of years so expensive that it is hardly used anymore for outside walls (except for upper stories). the going practice since middle of the 90s is using hollow cement blocks.

I beg to differ. Your evaluation may be true for other parts of the USA, but you're way off concerning the area I to which I referred. There, cement block is used only for commercial purposes.

Wood construction in the Pacific NW still far outstrips masonry construction despite the increased costs, to the chagrin of that area's only masonry manufacturer (which has to fight tooth-and-nail for any market share at all among homebuilders.) Even the few "masonry" homes there still use wood-frame construction, wood-based subwall materials, and then, strangely enough, veneered only with brick or stone. Not truly a "masonry" home, of course. I was just home last year, and continue to maintain close ties with the home construction industry.

Being from the USA Pacific Northwest where 99% of the housing is wood construction, it was quite hard getting used to an all masonry home (as I live in, here in Thailand), where the masonry soaks up the sun's heat all day long, and transfers it to the interior of the house at night.

Trade off. Masonry = resistance to rot, storms, termites and better fire containment quality.

I'll take the cement box anytime.

Agreed. When a nearby Thai house (2nd story wood construction) occasionally collapses in a rainstorm, I'm glad for my hot cement box.