Looking For Auto Insurance With

quiksilva

The last insurance co funded repair job was done at the insurers favoured garage who were next to useless. They took over 6 weeks to complete a job that could have been done in half the time at the dealership. My job requires access to a car so when its in for repairs in times of an accident I need to rent one, renting a car for 6 weeks is not cheap, and when its not your fault I don't see why you should have to pay for this. I understand the industry maxim is "no better and no worse off than before the accident".

I have no idea if such coverage is possible in Thailand but given the frequency of auto accidents in Thailand I feel that it is worth having, even if that means the premiums are higher than usual.

Please let me know if there is any such cover out there.

Sorry to say but there is no cover for rental vehicles whilst yours is off the road.

Note : there is a special ‘Ladies’ insurance which will give a Lady a rental car free for a few days.

The next time when asking for quotes for your vehicle insurance please be sure to stipulate Dealer Garage (not Contract) although, if is an old vehicle, then maybe cover will be difficult to source.

Whilst on that subject can anyone tell me where i stand with regards to a hired car whilst waiting for new company car and insurance if i have no Thailand driving license?

If you do not have a Thai driving license, what type(country) do you have ?

I have the UK Euro one with the ID picture card and paper bit, if that makes sense.

Could someone explain to me why the recovery of your uninsured losses (medical, car hire, general out of pocket expenses) is not available in Thailand? Surely such a claim presented to the guilty 3rd party should be met by their insurers. Further if you're using a "Broker" to handle your insurance is this aspect of recovery not part of their service?

Betterment is of course wrong - loss from innocence is equally wrong!

Could someone explain to me why the recovery of your uninsured losses (medical, car hire, general out of pocket expenses) is not available in Thailand? Surely such a claim presented to the guilty 3rd party should be met by their insurers. Further if you're using a "Broker" to handle your insurance is this aspect of recovery not part of their service?

Betterment is of course wrong - loss from innocence is equally wrong!

Unfortunately we all, at times, fall into the same trap – we expect things to be the same here as in other parts of the world.

That doesn't really answer the question.

My point is that a section in your insurance covers you for claims made by third parties arising from your negligence.

Why therefore cannot a claim be put forward in this vein?

Because of an agreement between the insurance companies. However may we suggest you contact the O.I.C. if you wish to take it further ?

Apologies :

Sorry just noticed in my last post I mentioned O.I.C. without explaining who they are.

The Office of the Insurance Commission (OIC) is the new governing body for all insurance (both life and general) here in Thailand.

(They used to be called D.O.I. – the Department of Insurance)

The reason I’ve mentioned them is that any complaints which cannot be handled by the individual Insurance Companies can be directed to them.

That doesn't really answer the question.

My point is that a section in your insurance covers you for claims made by third parties arising from your negligence.

Why therefore cannot a claim be put forward in this vein?

Because of an agreement between the insurance companies. However may we suggest you contact the O.I.C. if you wish to take it further ?

Well said Vulcan.

TVI - I think 'conspiracy' is a more fitting word than 'agreement' in this case.

Renting a replacement car for 6 weeks cost 45,000 Baht, which didn't break the bank but still, its not an inconsiderable sum. So thanks for the suggestion, all things considered, I think its worth taking the time to pay the O.I.C. a visit.

Edited by quiksilva

Apathy comes to mind here.

ALL contracts struck either here in Thailand or any country in the civilised world have a standard clause indemnifying the policyholder against third party claims.

THIS SECTION IS THE WHOLE ESSENCE OF A POLICY. Apart from reimbursement of your own losses, you require indemnity for claims made against you. If the insurers have "an agreement" in place, how do they handle injuries/death claims?

An insurance contract is based on the following:- The first party is the policyholder, the second party is the principle insurer and the third party is everything and everybody else.

If you were negligent in an incident and a claim was presented by the 3rd party lawyers or representatives you would, quite rightly, expect indemnification from your own insurers in accordance with the terms and conditions of the contract you had with them. YOU WOULD NOT EXPECT TO PAY THIS FROM YOUR OWN POCKET.

Back to the point:- Have TVi ever attempted a recovery on behalf of a client and what was the outcome?

Back to the point:- Have TVi ever attempted a recovery on behalf of a client and what was the outcome?

On several occasions we have attempted a recovery on behalf of the injured party but we have to admit have only succeeded on a few occasions.

The times which are successful are usually when our clients insurance company is part owned by a strong ‘foreign’ company – likewise the other insurance company.

Sorry we cannot be more helpful but again suggest you take up your grievance with the O.I.C if you feel unjustly done by.

Sorry we cannot be more helpful but again suggest you take up your grievance with the O.I.C if you feel unjustly done by.

Why do you keep making this statement? I never said I had been "unjustly done by" or that I have a "grievance".

My point was:- "Why was recovering your uninsured losses a service seemingly not available in Thailand". Your responses would indicate that it is, after all, possible. That was all I asked.

Now, surely as a broker with his clients best interests at heart, it should be you, not I, taking this issue up with the O.I.C. After all, evidence of such conviction on your clients behalf could only be good for business.

At the least it would set you apart from the rest of the herd.

Good luck. I, and others I'm sure, await the future announcement.

• 1 month later...

So if you insure with AXA they will kick the Thai insurance CO's ass and get you your out of pocket expenses or you will sue AXA in France and cost them big bucks ?

This "its the way things are here" is total crap and just a kop out

• 1 month later...