Top Cardiologist In Bkk And Other Heart Related Queries

duan

I had a stent put in my circumflex heart artery last week in the UK fortunately under my private BUPA policy. I was previously planning on retiring next year and spending three separate three month periods each year primarily in Hua Hin. Subject to advice from my UK cardiologist I hope to continue with this plan hot footing it back to bkk/UK at the first sign of trouble in the future. I have done searches on this site and have noted Sheryl's advice on living no more than 2/3 hours travel time from bkk which is just about within the time it would take from Hua Hin to Bumrungrad on a good day and I have seen several references to Dr Visuit at Bumrungrad as a good cardiologist.

I would very much welcome any endorsements of Dr Visuit or recommendations for any other top cardiologists/surgeons in Bangkok hospitals fully equipped for dealing with angioplasty/bypasses.

Do people think I am mad to be considering Hua Hin as my base and that I would be safer in bkk or would that be taking unneccesary over the top precautions?

I will post for the benefit of the OP of the recent cost of stent thread the cost of my angioplasty with stent in the UK as soon as I am advised of it by BUPA.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

There's nothing wrong with wanting to be in Hua Hin, it's a lovely and peaceful city except it doesn't offer professionals be it device or personnels to deal with your condition. So, Hua Hin is a no. The traffic can be really bad even if you think it's only 2.5 or 3 hours from HH to BKK. In BKK, try Bangkok Hospital. They're the most equipped hospital to deal with cardiology, in my opinion.

Yes, I like Dr. Visuit at Bumrungrad but as Jayheck says you perhaps should check out Bangkok Hospital too. I love Bangkok but wouldn't want to live there - far too much air pollution. Why not try Pattaya instead of Hua Hin? BPH does major cardiac surgery. Many people are happy with the hospital services and many are not. I like the nursing at BPH more than at Bumrungrad. BPH have helicopter service to Bangkok Hospital if need be.

Edited by Tammi

As a previous patient seven years ago of having a stent put in, I was advised by the then cardiologist of the risk of a collapse of the artery, called “restenosis”(?), within a period of six months (or three months?). But thereafter, you can take it as a relative safe period. Todate, I have been lucky and seeing this doctor every three months without much sign of baddies. The prescribed medicines are concor, corzar, asprint and lipitor and daily exercises of one hour, (almost without fail). Based on this knowledge, I would not like to be away from bkk during that preliminary period. Time taken to Pataya and Hua Hin is almost the same, one and a half hours for Pataya and two hours for Hua Hin.

The quality of cardiologists at Bumrungrad and Bangkok Hospital is comparable to world standard. The best are normally lured to these two hospitals. Dr. Visut was lured back to Bumrungrad, after practicing in the States for a decade, to pioneer this cardiac centre at Bumrungrad. I had mine done (angiogram and angioplasty) at Bumrung rad with Dr.Chumpol who has now moved to Bangkok Hospital. My relative recently had the same things done with Dr. Pisanu at Bumrungrad and happy with the outcome. Mine cost Baht 500,000 with one stent and my relatives with two stents amounted to Baht600,000.. (By coincidence, both doctors were in Belgium for two years). The beauty of these two hospitals is that they are doing heart intervention everyday with huge number of patients. It is like a factory to them. Just like a restaurant, with two restaurants side by side, you would pick the one with a big crowd of customers in which they have more experience than the half-empty establishment.

In sum, conservatively, you should not take risk in staying at Hua Hin or Pataya for the “honeymoon” period.

As a previous patient seven years ago of having a stent put in, I was advised by the then cardiologist of the risk of a collapse of the artery, called “restenosis”(?), within a period of six months (or three months?). But thereafter, you can take it as a relative safe period. Todate, I have been lucky and seeing this doctor every three months without much sign of baddies. The prescribed medicines are concor, corzar, asprint and lipitor and daily exercises of one hour, (almost without fail). Based on this knowledge, I would not like to be away from bkk during that preliminary period. Time taken to Pataya and Hua Hin is almost the same, one and a half hours for Pataya and two hours for Hua Hin.

The quality of cardiologists at Bumrungrad and Bangkok Hospital is comparable to world standard. The best are normally lured to these two hospitals. Dr. Visut was lured back to Bumrungrad, after practicing in the States for a decade, to pioneer this cardiac centre at Bumrungrad. I had mine done (angiogram and angioplasty) at Bumrung rad with Dr.Chumpol who has now moved to Bangkok Hospital. My relative recently had the same things done with Dr. Pisanu at Bumrungrad and happy with the outcome. Mine cost Baht 500,000 with one stent and my relatives with two stents amounted to Baht600,000.. (By coincidence, both doctors were in Belgium for two years). The beauty of these two hospitals is that they are doing heart intervention everyday with huge number of patients. It is like a factory to them. Just like a restaurant, with two restaurants side by side, you would pick the one with a big crowd of customers in which they have more experience than the half-empty establishment.

In sum, conservatively, you should not take risk in staying at Hua Hin or Pataya for the “honeymoon” period.

Irene, my understanding is that the risk of restenosis is reduced significantly if drug eluding stents are used and judging from the cost and timing of your angioplasty I would guess they were not used in your case, is that correct?

I had a stent put in my circumflex heart artery last week in the UK fortunately under my private BUPA policy. I was previously planning on retiring next year and spending three separate three month periods each year primarily in Hua Hin. Subject to advice from my UK cardiologist I hope to continue with this plan hot footing it back to bkk/UK at the first sign of trouble in the future. I have done searches on this site and have noted Sheryl's advice on living no more than 2/3 hours travel time from bkk which is just about within the time it would take from Hua Hin to Bumrungrad on a good day and I have seen several references to Dr Visuit at Bumrungrad as a good cardiologist.

I would very much welcome any endorsements of Dr Visuit or recommendations for any other top cardiologists/surgeons in Bangkok hospitals fully equipped for dealing with angioplasty/bypasses.

Do people think I am mad to be considering Hua Hin as my base and that I would be safer in bkk or would that be taking unneccesary over the top precautions?

I will post for the benefit of the OP of the recent cost of stent thread the cost of my angioplasty with stent in the UK as soon as I am advised of it by BUPA.

I'll be grateful for any costs you wish to share on this subject, when they are known. I'll also be interested to learn which Spire hospital you used and which Consultant you chose. Thanks. I don't know if it helps but Bangkok/Phuket hospital here in Phuket has a fairly new cath lab and claims to specialize in coronary care. I have one near neighbor who has used the service when he had a heart attack and subsequent angioplasty and he speaks well of the hospital and the care he received. I've met the head of cardio at the hospital and his English is excellent, a tad swishy for my liking but apparently he knows his field well. So, maybe Phuket is an option for you?

Irene, my understanding is that the risk of restenosis is reduced significantly if drug eluding stents are used and judging from the cost and timing of your angioplasty I would guess they were not used in your case, is that correct?

If my memory serves me correctly, it was a drug coated stent that was used. As to my relative, the two stents were definitely drug coated. I remember this well because after his operation, there was a controversy of the pros and cons of the coated and non-coated and surprisingly the conclusion favoured non-coated.

Agree with Tammi that it would not be wise in the immediate post-stent period but as I read your post, you weren't thinking of so soon anyway.

Assuming all goes well between now and then I see no reason why you couldn't relocate to Hua Hin next year, provided you arrange to be under a good cardiologist's care in Bangkok and come up periodically for check-ups.

It would also be wise once here to get your medical history tranlated into Thai along with name and phone number of your Cardiologist in big letters on the top, and have a plan worked out for medical emergencies (actually, this is wise for anyone living outside Bkk or other major city). The plan should be to go to the ER of the nearest provincial hospital (that's Provincial Hospital, not district!) and call for an ambulance from whichever hospital your Cardiologist is at in BKK to pick you up from there. This way you can recieve immediate help/be stabilized while awaiting transfer to Bkk. Show the medical history to the Provincial Hosp staff, and ask them to call your doctor if possible for instructions.

The Provincial Hospitals in Thailand are usually adequate for immediate emergency care, but this is definitely not true for the district hospitals not for small private hospitals in the provinces.

I'll be grateful for any costs you wish to share on this subject, when they are known. I'll also be interested to learn which Spire hospital you used and which Consultant you chose. Thanks. I don't know if it helps but Bangkok/Phuket hospital here in Phuket has a fairly new cath lab and claims to specialize in coronary care. I have one near neighbor who has used the service when he had a heart attack and subsequent angioplasty and he speaks well of the hospital and the care he received. I've met the head of cardio at the hospital and his English is excellent, a tad swishy for my liking but apparently he knows his field well. So, maybe Phuket is an option for you?

And you, Chiang Mai, are bit homophobic for my tastes. SWISHY: informal offensive effeminate. Hard to believe you are writing this while in LOS.

And you, Chiang Mai, are bit homophobic for my tastes. SWISHY: informal offensive effeminate. Hard to believe you are writing this while in LOS.

The intent was to describe, not offend and no malice or slight was intended. One hopes however that the Politically Correct brigade are not now allowed to influence postings here else we're all bug*ered.

The intent was to describe, not offend and no malice or slight was intended. One hopes however that the Politically Correct brigade are not now allowed to influence postings here else we're all bug*ered.

I am pleased to know no malice was intended. I was offended, yet no apology was offered. I only wonder if you would choose an inexperienced doctor who was a "manly man" over an experienced physician who was "a tad swishy for your liking." I would choose a doctor based on his ability, skill, and recommendations.

I am pleased to know no malice was intended. I was offended, yet no apology was offered. I only wonder if you would choose an inexperienced doctor who was a "manly man" over an experienced physician who was "a tad swishy for your liking." I would choose a doctor based on his ability, skill, and recommendations.

Agreed.

If my memory serves me correctly, it was a drug coated stent that was used. As to my relative, the two stents were definitely drug coated. I remember this well because after his operation, there was a controversy of the pros and cons of the coated and non-coated and surprisingly the conclusion favoured non-coated.

Thanks Irene. That's an odd conclusion to arrive at especially since drug coated stents were used. Would you care to highlight the issues of that debate? From all I have read on the subject it seems that drug coated stents are preferable since they are capable of influencing the inflammation in the artery wall caused by the crushing effect of the balloon. It therefore seems somewhat illogical not to use them in favor of non-coated stents - or am I missing something in the argument?

Thanks Irene. That's an odd conclusion to arrive at especially since drug coated stents were used. Would you care to highlight the issues of that debate? From all I have read on the subject it seems that drug coated stents are preferable since they are capable of influencing the inflammation in the artery wall caused by the crushing effect of the balloon. It therefore seems somewhat illogical not to use them in favor of non-coated stents - or am I missing something in the argument?

It was a long article in Business Week. Unfortunately, I did not keep the record. It was something like a survey made and not based on scientific reasons. The manufacturers did dispute the contention and questioned the sampling method.

Thank you all for all your kind help.

Chiang Mai- I will post costs once I receive the BUPA paperwork. I used Dr H S Lee at Alexandra Hospital Cheadle Cheshire an English Chinese doctor recommended by my GP several years ago and endorsed by a my general surgeon who has been treating my Crohns Disease for years.

Sheryl- Thanks for all the practical advice which I have carefully noted but I would be very grateful if you could advise how I can identify the provincial hospital nearest to Hua Hin.

Irene- I shall file the names you gave me for when I make the move but is there a reason why neither of you used Dr Visuit or was he simply not available at the time?

Many thanks

Thank you all for all your kind help.

Chiang Mai- I will post costs once I receive the BUPA paperwork. I used Dr H S Lee at Alexandra Hospital Cheadle Cheshire an English Chinese doctor recommended by my GP several years ago and endorsed by a my general surgeon who has been treating my Crohns Disease for years.

Sheryl- Thanks for all the practical advice which I have carefully noted but I would be very grateful if you could advise how I can identify the provincial hospital nearest to Hua Hin.

Irene- I shall file the names you gave me for when I make the move but is there a reason why neither of you used Dr Visuit or was he simply not available at the time?

Many thanks

I know both Dr. Pisanu and Dr Visuit. I myself prefer Dr. Visuit who was recommended to me by a western doctor who had been treated by him. The western doctor had got the recommendation from another doctor. I usually look for doctors with overseas training and I think Dr Pisanu's C.V. on the Bumrungrad website doesn't show overseas experience. (???) But that doesn't mean that Dr. Pisanu hasn't had that experience or is not a very capable doctor.

duan- I had no choice. I had my scare on the flight from HK to Bkk and went to see Dr. Chumpol at the recommendation of my GP. Dr. Chumpol noted my blockage immediately after the treadmill and angiogram and angioplasty were immediately followed. (He persuaded me to have it done quickly as it was at a dangerous stage. Hence, I found this as impressive and responsible on his part). In the case of my relative, he had the scare in the class-room

and also was sent to see an available doctor who turned out to be Dr. Pisanu. Both of us had no chance of selection. (I got it from Dr. Chumpol that Dr. Pisanu was with him in Belgium for the training of two years).

If you wish to use the services of Dr. Visut, it is best to see him before any attack in order to get acquainted and once there is a problem, you then would know who to turn to.

• 2 weeks later...

For those interested I have just been advised of the costs of my UK treatment paid fortunately by BUPA as follows:-

£1364 for exercise ECG angiogram and two consultations

£6254 for wire pressure measurement test which ascertained that a stent was necessary in my case followed by angioplasty with drug alluding stent and overnight intensive care

Sheryl- I still have not worked out how I can identify the nearest provincial hospital to central Hua Hin and would be very grateful for any help you can give me on that one,

• 2 weeks later...

Provincial Hospitals are located in the provincial capital town. For Hua hin I think that is Petchaburi, or else it is Prachub Kiri Khan, whichever is the province that Hua Hin is in. In any case Petchaburi is probably the better bet since it is en route to Bangkok.

There is a 150 bed private hospital (Petcharat Hospital) on the Petchaburi bypass that you normally pass en route from Bangkok and that should only be 45 minutes or so from Hua Hin (and they have clinic in Hua Hin). Web site is http://www.petcharat-hospital.com

Have no idea of treatment quality or costs but seems to be listed on many sites.

map_petcharat.gif

Thanks for the info on the Petchaburi hospital.

For those interested I have had some additional bill information from BUPA adding £1500 to the cost of the angioplasty making a total of £7724.

There is a 150 bed private hospital (Petcharat Hospital) on the Petchaburi bypass that you normally pass en route from Bangkok and that should only be 45 minutes or so from Hua Hin (and they have clinic in Hua Hin). Web site is http://www.petcharat-hospital.com

Have no idea of treatment quality or costs but seems to be listed on many sites.

map_petcharat.gif

I have no knowledge of this specific hospital. But generally speaking the quality of care in private hospitals in the provinces is poor and one is better off at the government provincial hospital, most of which are actually pretty good altho admittedly niot "farang-friendly"i.e. bring along a Thai speaker and be prepared for bureacratic delays if it is not an emergency.

• 2 weeks later...

map_petcharat.gif

I have no knowledge of this specific hospital. But generally speaking the quality of care in private hospitals in the provinces is poor and one is better off at the government provincial hospital, most of which are actually pretty good altho admittedly niot "farang-friendly"i.e. bring along a Thai speaker and be prepared for bureacratic delays if it is not an emergency.

Quality of medical care at Petcharat Hospital is ok, this and the other private hospital in Petchburi are definitely your best option if you are sick in Hua Hin. And they both know their limits. Of course, Bangkok is much better (eg there is no cath lab in Petchaburi).

Hua Hin itself has the worst hospital in Thailand. Hopefully things will change when the new government hospital in Hua Hin will be up and running, around 2009.

• 1 year later...
It would also be wise once here to get your medical history tranlated into Thai along with name and phone number of your Cardiologist in big letters on the top, and have a plan worked out for medical emergencies (actually, this is wise for anyone living outside Bkk or other major city). The plan should be to go to the ER of the nearest provincial hospital (that's Provincial Hospital, not district!) and call for an ambulance from whichever hospital your Cardiologist is at in BKK to pick you up from there. This way you can recieve immediate help/be stabilized while awaiting transfer to Bkk. Show the medical history to the Provincial Hosp staff, and ask them to call your doctor if possible for instructions.

The Provincial Hospitals in Thailand are usually adequate for immediate emergency care, but this is definitely not true for the district hospitals not for small private hospitals in the provinces.

Very wise advise indeed. The attending cardiologist will have some history to work with that he may not be able to learn otherwise. List your cardiac events, dates, etc. If you can have cathlab images or video it will also give them a quick idea of what is going on with you. If you have had angioplasty of any kind it is most often possible to obtain a dvd from the cardiologist showing the lab video xrays with contrast showing exactly where any problems are so in seconds the new cardiologist really is looking inside your heart and seeing what has been done and understand much immediatly. If you ask, a player program can be put on the cd too and this can be played back on any pc in seconds. Now this info can be put on a 32Gig usb drive too and carried on a necklace.