Ubc Pvr

bluweyze

In case anyone is interested the UBC PVR recording machine is excellent.It is not cheap but has simular functions to Sky+ in UK or Tivo in USA. It is so simple to use and can record full series and also allow recording of one programme while you watch another ( excellent if you are football crazy ) It also replaces the unreliable UBC box and gives much more stability to the TV picture, in fact I have had no problems with the TV since I changed. ( I had to wait a week because UBC Bkk forgot to turn on the signal to Chiang Mai and of course UBC said it was because I could not read the instructions, their service really is the pits)

I just had a lengthly conversation with TrueVisions on their PVR. Finally, after downloading the manual myself off of their site, I was able to determine that the only video out options are RCA and RF out.

In other words, there is no HDMI nor even so much as an S-Video out. My concern is that the picture quality will be no better than what I have now. I'm desperate for a fully functional PVR (or DVR), but don't think I want to spend an expensive 15,000 THB on a video device that doesn't even have a single HDMI output (or S-Video for that matter)? I guess I'll go back to watching things in the middle of the night...or get a bastardized non-TrueVision DVR and hook it up.

Why would True come out with a product that was not updated with the latest video out options??? Wait...I think I know the answer to that.

I just had a lengthly conversation with TrueVisions on their PVR. Finally, after downloading the manual myself off of their site, I was able to determine that the only video out options are RCA and RF out.

In other words, there is no HDMI nor even so much as an S-Video out. My concern is that the picture quality will be no better than what I have now. I'm desperate for a fully functional PVR (or DVR), but don't think I want to spend an expensive 15,000 THB on a video device that doesn't even have a single HDMI output (or S-Video for that matter)? I guess I'll go back to watching things in the middle of the night...or get a bastardized non-TrueVision DVR and hook it up.

Why would True come out with a product that was not updated with the latest video out options??? Wait...I think I know the answer to that.

I've just had a new receiver installed by UBC as my old one was not displaying all the channels since UBC has gone digital. Surprise, surprise the new receiver only has one audio in/out socket so now I can't record anything on my DVD recorder. True Visions are such a bunch of "cheap charlies". Typical ThaiChinese mentality, overcharge the customer by as much as you can get away with, and keep the expenses to a minimum. As long as UBC has a monopoly things won't change soon.

I've just had a new receiver installed by UBC as my old one was not displaying all the channels since UBC has gone digital. Surprise, surprise the new receiver only has one audio in/out socket so now I can't record anything on my DVD recorder. True Visions are such a bunch of "cheap charlies". Typical ThaiChinese mentality, overcharge the customer by as much as you can get away with, and keep the expenses to a minimum. As long as UBC has a monopoly things won't change soon.

As long as UBC has a monopoly things won't change soon. First rule in Thai business practice.

The manager at True Visions told me that with the new receiver and digital card that the channels wouldn't cut out during rain storms. So much for that bullshit story as the signal has just cut out in the middle of the Sorpranos and has been out for the last 10 mins. TIT.

As long as UBC has a monopoly things won't change soon. First rule in Thai business practice.

First rule of business in ANY country

What is WETV?

Have any of you heard of DSTV? Apparantly the installation charge is 18900 and then you pay 300/month and they work with IP address' - I use to have DSTV in SA and if this is a reliable way of getting it then I wouldnt mind the upfront payment being so high.

• 2 weeks later...

I had the initial problem with PVR in that it didn't record but they finally found out Bangkok had to turn something on.Since then , and I can only talk from my experience it works great, no cut-out in rain, no problems, unlike my second tv which is normal UBC and cuts out all the time. Yes UBC is expensive but if Man U win the double it is worth every baht!

• 9 months later...

Many of the shows I set to record on the Truevisions PVR came out "unrecordable." I found a solution. Go to My Schedules. Delete the shows that are in red font. Then go back to the TV guide and set them to record again. Hope this helps! I like the PVR for ease of recording. We record a lot!

I had a new receiver installed by UBC last year and found the same thing (only has one audio in/out socket) and as I have a home theatre the audio is fed to that and the TV's speakers are not used.

UBC would have to be the biggest bunch of "ass'holes" that you could ever have the misfortune to meet. :o

Edited by john b good

Did you already try to record anything? I had mine installed April 9 and sofar I havn't been able to record any program, only the delay function works.

No help from Truevisions yet....

I have been recording for many months now with no problems and hardly any problems with UBC loss of feed. When I bought it there was a week it didn't work because they forgot to get Bangkok to send the feed but the oldish guy in the UBC shop behind Siam TV understands it but the rest of the staff are a waste of time.

^^ Yes. The problem you have is because you need to get the schedule feed from Bangkok first. Amazingly it's quite common that they forget to send the feed to the PVR (from what I know, a lot of my friends are having this problem the first week of use).

I have applied for the HDTV receiver open beta though. Just like with PVR at the beginning of last year. This thing has 3 HDMI outs but it cannot record anything ... bugger

Many of the shows I set to record on the Truevisions PVR came out "unrecordable." I found a solution. Go to My Schedules. Delete the shows that are in red font. Then go back to the TV guide and set them to record again. Hope this helps! I like the PVR for ease of recording. We record a lot!
Well I have to revise this. The PVR was still recording many programs that were just a black screen or a still picture and the words "unrecordable press stop to return to my programs." So I called Truevisions and they reset my profile. Now it's better. In addition I asked what the red font meant in My Schedules. She tried to research it but could not find the answer. So I still don't know what it means when some of the programs I have scheduled to record turn to red font in the list.

I gave up on UBC/True 2 years ago as they only showed what I wanted to see at odd hours and gave me 10 channels I didn't want every time I had to upgrade just for 1 channel. I doubt I can post it on here (so I won't) but I watch anything I want when I want from the US, UK or Canada for free on the internet (yes it's legal it is directly from the networks for people overseas). I have done away with my TV and replaced it with an HD PC flat screen for 25% of the cost of a plasma TV and connected everything to my PC. I can record to PC or watch live as well as on demand. Also using a PC means eliminating DVD players which seem to change format or features every 6 months or so anyway. The only real draw back is that you need minimum 2Mbit internet and some times (as I'm sure you know) the connection in Chiang Mai is not constant thus I have taken to downloading the shows I want to see for the week which takes about 3 hours for 15, 1 hour shows.