Surge Protection

Sporting Dog

I am about to move to LOS and I have a Toshiba TE2100 laptop.

I plug it in to the mains with a 100-240V AC Adaptor. I think this should be OK to use in Thailand if I add a two pin plug adaptor.

But I was wondering - do I need a surge protector or UPS?? Is there anything else I need to know about using a computer in thailand??

Thanks

You might want to look at buying one of the power strips with a surge protector built in (you get them with phone sockets also, but oddly, not an extra phone cable).

If nothing else, if you get one of the ones that takes multiple plug styles, it would avoid you having to change your power lead.

If the building you're in has 3 pin sockets, try to ensure the power strip has a plug with the earth pin on it. (It's surprising how difficult that is to find outside of IT places like Pantip or the IT mall...)

You don't need to get a UPS for a laptop though - the battery is effectively it's own built-in UPS.

You might need one for the monitor though if you're outputting to an external screen. Personally, I have most electronics that are used frequently (esp. anything expensive), on a surge protection strip and/or a UPS. If only because, during rainy season, there are quite frequent power cuts and brown-outs, so running stuff off a UPS probably means it will last longer...