Isaan Strings

Robby nz

Like most things in Isaan - they bring you good luck and fortune.

Get married and they're tied to your wrists. Buy a new car and they're all over the wing mirrors, etc. They're usually the weak white ones.

You get more permanent ones from the abbot at monastries - I've been wearing one that I got from Thailand's top monk (can't remember his name) and I've had good financial luck since I got it - so I am not allowed to take it off - about 5 years old now and smells a bit! Everyone in the village seems jealous of it, I'm the only one that was picked out of the congreation to get one. :o

They are usually from family or loved ones. My gf brings me about 5 from her family when she visits me. I dig em, particularly with the excess strings.

She says its for good luck wishes from whoever gives it to you.

One time she didn't bring any over when she visited. That's when I knew I'd been a bad boy. :o

Like most things in Isaan - they bring you good luck and fortune.

Get married and they're tied to your wrists. Buy a new car and they're all over the wing mirrors, etc. They're usually the weak white ones.

You get more permanent ones from the abbot at monastries - I've been wearing one that I got from Thailand's top monk (can't remember his name) and I've had good financial luck since I got it - so I am not allowed to take it off - about 5 years old now and smells a bit! Everyone in the village seems jealous of it, I'm the only one that was picked out of the congreation to get one. :o

I was also given some by a monk its a blessing still waiting for the good fortune.

I have 15 on at present, as I quite often receive them and never take them off.

The weaker ones wear out and drop off after a while, but two strong ones (put on by monks) I recognise as having now been on for 4 years and two years.

I am not sure whether they reflect Buddhism or Animism, as I understand that one of their symbolisms is to represent the hopes of those you leave at home (when you go off as a migrant worker) that you will return with the good spirits that are part of you still with you and not lost on your journeyings.

Since you have to dry them every time you have a shower, they do act as a reminder that there are folk back home hoping you come back no worse than when you went away!