New Car

525iSE

I'm on my third new car in Thailand. THe most recent, of course, in red plate, came with absolutely nothing on the windshield. No insurance tag, nothing at all. The dealer said the new laws, don't require any of those third party insurance, and what not to be on the car windshield anymore. It'll all be in the insurance. With the few papers. Then after I get the white plates, I"ll get those tags, where I need to renew yearly (whatever those are). Can anyone confirm this? I can legally drive a red plate car with nothing on the windshield???

you need the road tax sticker , renewable every year , on the windshield.

you need compulsory third party insurance also , but dont need to show a sticker on the window any more.

you cant get the car taxed unless you have proof of third party insurance.

the insurance company that you use for your 'real insurance' will also provide the govt. third party insurance for you (about 700b) and you show that receipt ( along with the log book) when you get your car taxed.

Confirm on the insurance one. You don't need to put the small paper saying you paid tax. Though you still need to have insurance for your car. Did you buy the car with full payment or did you buy it with monthly payment terms? If for the latter case, you need to buy 1st class insurance. About the annual tax, even with the red plate I would imagine there's a red plate (new car) tax the company had to pay when they brought the car in, hence that small paper you should put on the windshield. I remember when we bought ours with red plates there was always at least a small paper on the windshield for the tax.

Another thing to remember which I'm sure you are familiar with, always fill in the red book with your daily trips. Traffic police like to spot red plate, the second thing they ask from you after the driver's license is that red book. If you don't fill it up you will be fined.

I'm on my third new car in Thailand. THe most recent, of course, in red plate, came with absolutely nothing on the windshield. No insurance tag, nothing at all. The dealer said the new laws, don't require any of those third party insurance, and what not to be on the car windshield anymore. It'll all be in the insurance. With the few papers. Then after I get the white plates, I"ll get those tags, where I need to renew yearly (whatever those are). Can anyone confirm this? I can legally drive a red plate car with nothing on the windshield???

Tax exile is correct.

I'm driving 2 red plates at the moment and neither of them have anything on the windscreen. The compulsory government insurance does not have a sticker anymore, it is included as part of your other policy. You will need to display road tax once you get your white plates.

I did get stopped and fined the other day because my temporary reg book didn't have written in it the time of day that I would use the car!!! These guys got more rules than algebra!

Edited by matter

Tax exile is correct.

I'm driving 2 red plates at the moment and neither of them have anything on the windscreen. The compulsory government insurance does not have a sticker anymore, it is included as part of your other policy. You will need to display road tax once you get your white plates.

I did get stopped and fined the other day because my temporary reg book didn't have written in it the time of day that I would use the car!!! These guys got more rules than algebra!

"it is included as part of your other policy"

Sorry, not quite correct. The CTPL (compulsory third party liability) is a separate insurance and is not ‘included’ with your voluntary insurance.

Please check your CTPL is up to date as if you get stopped, this is what the Police want to see – not your voluntary insurance.

Strange as it may seem, if your CTPL is not current you will be in trouble, even if you have full 1st Class voluntary insurance !