I Found A Rusty 10 Baht Coin In My Garden

traveller5000

The 10-Baht coin has some history, introduced about 10 years ago, the coin was in circulation well in advance of Europe 's launch of its single currency, the Euro. For some strange reason, they brought out a 2-Euro coin which had exactly the same design as the 10-Baht coin. Holiday makers returning to Europe had a bonanza buying cigarettes and other items from vending machines which couldn't determine the difference between the coins. The machines have been recalibrated and the bonanza is now over. However, the incident is a testimony to the need for good planning!

Value: 10 baht

:o

Edited by ilyushin

Here are the verses from Matthew 19 vv 24-26 "And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God

Suegha, who translated Matthew? from what language into what language? Matthew wrote in Aramaeic. his scripts do not exist anymore. how many translations into different languages (from one to the other and with all the resulting mistakes and misinterpretations) where done? the difference is just one single word "A needle eye" or "THE needle eye" or a different alignment of words "through the needle eye" or "through the eye of a needle". for what it's worth... the official opinion of the catholic church is that Jesus was referring to the gate in Jerusalem.

it would be interesting to discuss this topic over a bottle of good wine but i don't think it's an interesting topic for ThaiVisa :o

With all respect to the differing translations (and I'm sure there are many), it seems the message is the same whether we're taking about the eye of a needle or an existing gate.

But where is the relevance to Buddhism?

With all respect to the differing translations (and I'm sure there are many), it seems the message is the same whether we're taking about the eye of a needle or an existing gate.

Is it easy for a rich man to gain enlightenment? I'd say it isn't which is why the Buddha asked his monks to give up worldly possessions. You could say it's easier for a water buffalo to pass through the buttonhole of a blouse than it is for a rich man to realise enlightenment.

Here are the verses from Matthew 19 vv 24-26 "And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God

Suegha, who translated Matthew? from what language into what language? Matthew wrote in Aramaeic. his scripts do not exist anymore. how many translations into different languages (from one to the other and with all the resulting mistakes and misinterpretations) where done? the difference is just one single word "A needle eye" or "THE needle eye" or a different alignment of words "through the needle eye" or "through the eye of a needle". for what it's worth... the official opinion of the catholic church is that Jesus was referring to the gate in Jerusalem.

it would be interesting to discuss this topic over a bottle of good wine but i don't think it's an interesting topic for ThaiVisa :o

True Naam, and I too would love to discuss it over a bottle of vino. That said, the learning point is the same for Christianity or Buddhism, Riches can be a hindrance to our spiritual growth. If you note the context of the verses they come just after the rich young man came to Jesus asking what he could do to obtain eternal life. Jesus referred to his riches because they were his downfall - not riches per se. "If thou wilt be perfect, go and sell that thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come and follow me. But when the young man heard that saying, he went away sorrowful: for he had great possessions."

Nuff said, let's discuss it elsewhere.

ps Matthew was written in Greek with a smattering of Aramaic.

There is never a more sure fire sign that it is time to close a thread.... than when people starting quoting Biblical verses.

It's practically obligatory in the history of thaivisa that it causes it to be :o

But what a shame it is. Wouldn't it be nice if we could al learn from each other?

There is never a more sure fire sign that it is time to close a thread.... than when people starting quoting Biblical verses.

It's practically obligatory in the history of thaivisa that it causes it to be :o

But what a shame it is. Wouldn't it be nice if we could al learn from each other?

Perhaps starting a new thread on www.heavenvisa.com/forum is the solution? :D

Sriracha john: Objection overruled :o But both the defense and the plaintiffs will please refrain from debating Biblical verse in the Buddhism subforum. Thank you.

True SJ, I'm going to make a request for another forum called something like 'other spiritual views' or something similar.

Sriracha john: Objection overruled :o But both the defense and the plaintiffs will please refrain from debating Biblical verse in the Buddhism subforum. Thank you.

True SJ, I'm going to make a request for another forum called something like 'other spiritual views' or something similar.

The pattern appears to go something like this... Somebody makes a generalised statement referring to Christianity that you either feel misrepresents your interpretation of Christianity, or your interpretation of the Bible, or Christianity as a whole. So you take the opportunity to correct them as anyone would but then things get into too much detail and off the topic of this forum.

Surely a better approach is to say something like; "While I know your statement is true of some Christians I don't think it's true of the majority or a correct interpretation of the Bible, I'd be happy to discuss it in more detail by PM".

I think you are under no obligation to prove here that you are in the right.

I'm sure Buddhism is misrepresented on many Christian forums out there, but I feel no compulsion to go out and try to correct that.

Of course your insights into Buddhism that you gain from drawing on your own faith are very welcome.

Is it easy for a rich man to gain enlightenment? I'd say it isn't which is why the Buddha asked his monks to give up worldly possessions. You could say it's easier for a water buffalo to pass through the buttonhole of a blouse than it is for a rich man to realise enlightenment.

In Dharma it is irrelevant whether rich or poor. The question is how did one become rich (by harming others or by positive actions?) and how attached is the rich person to the wealth and accoutrement? The likelihood is that a rich person striving for enlightenment would at some point give away all that can be considered wealth since s/he would have no need for it, and would be motivated to use it to help alleviate the suffering of others.

You serious?

I think its good advice about putting it back. I might try and think of it as a blessing, to counter the feeling of lost fortune.

Unless you found it on the lawn, you don't want your gardener billing you for a damaged lawnmower.

It was in the pot plant.

If You grow pot, maybe somebody harvested a little and payed You off this way?

The pattern appears to go something like this... Somebody makes a generalised statement referring to Christianity that you either feel misrepresents your interpretation of Christianity, or your interpretation of the Bible, or Christianity as a whole. So you take the opportunity to correct them as anyone would but then things get into too much detail and off the topic of this forum.

Surely a better approach is to say something like; "While I know your statement is true of some Christians I don't think it's true of the majority or a correct interpretation of the Bible, I'd be happy to discuss it in more detail by PM".

I think you are under no obligation to prove here that you are in the right.

I'm sure Buddhism is misrepresented on many Christian forums out there, but I feel no compulsion to go out and try to correct that.

Of course your insights into Buddhism that you gain from drawing on your own faith are very welcome.

True Brucenkhamen, I do have a deep dislike of people making sweeping statements about Christianity. I would never make a sweeping statement about any faith including Buddhism. I also correct Christians who make sweeping statements about other faiths. I am in pursuit of 'truth' not myth and fable. That's why I defend the way I do.

I have visited this forum for all the time I have been a member of tv and the majority of members are intelligent and respectful. Because of the few who are not I will no longer visit this forum.

Thanks for your input.

Grace & Peace to all of you.

Try engaging in a bit of on topic discussion for a change instead of adopting the role of a "defender" of the christian truth, which invariably puts you in the position of a hijacking participant. As this thread demonstrates.

just my 10 baht worth.

back on topic. I spoke to a senior monk about this problem. He says "oh don't worry about it, just keep it, its your place. no problem". So after considering the excellent advice on this thread and the advice of the monk i've decided to keep it.