About The Poll On Religion,...

rethaired

I apologize for not having followed and responded to the comments made about how the poll was done. I have been unexpectedly busy.

After reading all the comments, I realize now that there were indeed flaws in the poll. It was not meant to be a PhD thesis mind you, but ... I apologize for not including more religions and forgetting some. This was not intentional. I am not a religious expert. I tried to do my best to enlighten people as to what the religious composition of the population of Chiang Mai was. This was something that I wanted to find out. I did not include Hinduism, Sikhism, Judaism ... because I did not see them as major religions in Chiang Mai from my experience. In retrospect, I would have had room to include all of these and I should have. Mea culpa! I did include atheism to include people who do not believe in religion to see what was the ratio of believers of any faith or religion to non-believers. To me, non-religious and atheist are synonymous. Maybe the title (What is your religion?) was not well chosen. I think that I might have been able to find a better title had I had more time to think about this. Perhaps the people who were so critical could offer an alternative? And, as far as agnosticism, I did not include a non-practising option because there are no churches (that I know of) for agnostics (as I believe that agnostics believe in some entity or energy as a sort of God). I was not aware that there are agnostics that see themselves as practising or not-praticising. As far as the issue of the second section (If buddhists,...), I was not aware that one had to vote in every single category. So, again sorry!

I understand that many people had a say about the poll or the topic (and some on a deeper level that I intended). I thank the people who showed some sensitivity when dealing with how the post was put together and about people's beliefs. However, I would like to say that I was astounded by the utter negativity (dare I say rudeness) of a few people. ASTOUNDED! May I suggest that next time these people post a negative or critical comment about what a poster as done, these people learn to start by --at the very least-- (like you were hopefully told when you were a kid) expressing thanks and gratitude to whoever had the initiative to do something for you. BTW, a prerequisite for posting a negative comment on a post should be to have written one in the first place? :D I find it surprising that none of those negative people had the time to reproduce and (hopefully) better my effort (which is not difficult once it is done in the first place, mind you). I understand a few people thought that this was a futile effort. Many people thought this exercise was worthwhile, judging by the responses. Anyway, I challenge those very negative people to put their energy and superior intellect in constructing instead of destroying, and why not, write another poll on the same subject to get those numbers right ... if that is indeed important. I wonder how many people are intimidated by these people and how much better TV would be if people were to be more grateful and positive. May I suggest to those few people some light reading around the area of empathetic responses and conflict resolution! :D

In all fairness though this poll and the comments that it generated proved a universal truth ... that perfection is hard to attain. Errare humanum est! :D

PS: BTW, it was clearly stated that this poll was for Chiang Mai. I noticed that it was moved part way. :o

Yes. It is a shame how some trouble makers can ruin a thread. I have a stalker who runs about ruining my threads with antagonistic dribble, with several thousand posts under his name you think he would know better. :o

Apart from a few minor flaws, good poll and had a lot of responses.

Edited by traveller5000

It is probably not a good idea to take yourself or your posts too seriously on this forum.

Posters do get into heated debate, but at the end of the day it's all just crazy loons barking at the moon.

If you post a thread and then don't take part in the debate you can't really complain about the direction it takes. Can you?

Indeed I think it was wrong to move the post away from the Chiang Mai forum... I mean the OP makes a post about 'religion in Chiang Mai' and what happens, it gets trucked off to general so the results become meaningless.. duh.

And yes, I could probably do a good poll on this topic, but I just don't care enough about the subject to want to do the poll or even want to know the results, and I think this is true for quite a lot of forum members so better let it rest. Religion is a personal thing anyway. Masturbation of the mind.. So not something to bother others with. I think it's rude to bother people about religion.

Edited by Jefferson

Jefferson, great idea: start a new poll, Masturbation in Chiang Mai. Wow, Chuck!

...It might be less controversial. Did you ever w@ank at a wat? Are you a guy who chokes the chicken behind the food stall? Do you fly the kite at......

Better to choke the chicken behind the food stall than in the food stall. You never know where the conclusion may end up.

Do you spank the monkey at the zoo? Polish the rocket in public?

Jefferson, great idea: start a new poll, Masturbation in Chiang Mai. Wow, Chuck!

...It might be less controversial. Did you ever w@ank at a wat? Are you a guy who chokes the chicken behind the food stall? Do you fly the kite at......

Better to choke the chicken behind the food stall than in the food stall. You never know where the conclusion may end up.

Do you spank the monkey at the zoo? Polish the rocket in public?

Back on the topic of religion, surely one -- that is, one among those of us in Chiangmai, that being the focus of this thread -- would prefer instead the laying on of hands and the receiving of godhead?