Farang, Down On His Luck, Skvt Soi 5

tourleadersi

I am currently staying in a hotel on Sukumivit Soi 5 whilst some family are in town. Yesterday I headed up the road to get some lunch and noticed a western guy lying fast asleep in a crumpled heap in some derelict land just opposite the Bel Air Princess Hotel. On the way back an hour later he was sat on the pavement, with the thousand yard stare in a really sorry state. Some cabbies came up to me and asked me to give him some money, saying 'He got no money'.

He looks to be in his late 30's, unshaven, unwashed and wears loud clothing, lots of bright stripy stuff. Carries a stick with him. I didnt speak to him to see if he was ok or not as I had my baby in a pram with me. Not overly concerned but dont tend to make a habit of chatting to guys who appear to be wasted and are carrying big sticks when I have my baby with me. Just wanted to know if anyone out there is familiar with this guy and know his story?

He's seems like a very unfortunate sole and whilst I dont think I am in a position to help, one never knows.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If he's that hard up, wouldn't he be tossed out of Thailand? After all there are the visa and income requirements. If he can scrounge up enough money to stay instead of returning to his western country where there are health and welfare benefits, then let him lie about. If he was mentally ill or otherwise impaired, the locals would have killed him by now once he upset or insulted someone. Methinks this is a scam.

I was shopping near the Siam BTS the other day and they had one of those beggers that was crawling on the ground. The Thais just walked around him. Follow the cue with this farang.

I appreciate the advice, and having lived here for a number of years I am not easily fooled or drawn into scams (none of us are 100% bulletproof though). This one seemed different though hence the fact that I posted up a question. The taxi drivers seemed concerned that I help him financially so that perhaps he would clear off. They seemed very uncomfortable by his prescence and their motives seemed more based on the idea of 'He is one of yours, sort him out' as opposed to them exploiting him or running a scam.

I was just wondering if anyone was familiar with this guy? At no time did he appear to beg, he was far too gone to even look up at people walking past. My wife said that he looked like a crushed man, one who had lost everything. She was pretty disturbed by him, filled with worry. Whilst this country is filled with lost souls, shattered people and others just down on their luck, I hope that the day never comes where I can walk past one of them without feeling sympathy and compassion.

He's seems like a very unfortunate sole and whilst I dont think I am in a position to help, one never knows.

If you are interested go chat with him when you do not have your baby pram with you? Seems easier to get a first-hand impression, and likely take less time, than posting on the internet?

I am not familiar with his back-story. One local merchant says he is OK. He buys Thai Whiskey from her shop occasionally, and sometimes sleeps overnight outside her shop. When she opens at 07:00 he wakes up and moves on without causing any problems.

If he were a problem I am certain the Police would have arrested him.

so are you just going to blabber on and on about compassion or are you actually going to give him money, buy him a round, or take him home and bath him? this will make an interesting trip report.

Nah, I think I will just blabber on and on mate. Just re read my previous post and became so weighed down with my own piety and pseudo kindness that I wanted to jump out of the window. Thanks for taking the time to try and ridicule someone who actually cares.

Basically I am at work now and walked down Soi 5 this morning looking for him to see if he needed anything as I was on my own but he was no where to be seen. I checked the derelict area but that was locked up, and he wasnt on the paving area where I had seen him before. So I got in to work and posted something here to see if anyone knew the score as I will be passing by this evening. Now I know that he is a regular there I will take him some food.

Thanks to the poster who knows about him and took the time to answer my question.

the guy probably just needs a place to stay and someone who can get him a job teaching english (Stickman are you there?). if we can start a collection pool, put me down for 100 baht. for all we know, he probably has a book of poems or songs in his back pocket. who knows what magical things he has seen during his journey.

I have come to the conclusion that farangs with no money are of no interest to the police. I know one useless farang who lies, cheats, scams and steals to be able to afford to drink. He then frequently gets into bar room fights and has been in jail several times. The police let him sober up and turn him loose. He has no visa and no income. The police cannot extort any money out of him so they leave him alone.

I hear you Gary A. Many years ago in Jerusalem I used to hang out with a guy who had a similar problem. He had overstayed by a couple of years and was broke. His family kept sending him money to get a ticket home and he would shout everyone drinks in the bar with it until it was all gone. The cycle would then start again. For that week that he was flush he was king of the world. The police never did anything to evict him. I went back 3 years later and he was still there, but looking like he had aged in dog years. I shudder to think how close I came to joining him. Luckily for me a good friend dragged me kicking and screaming out of the country. It was so easy to slide into the malaise. You dont stare over a precipice, it is more a gentle, easy slope. All you have to do is relax and let gravity do its work. I wasnt running from anything, I wasnt angry or a heavy drinker before that time. It just seemed to be the easiest thing in the world to do. I tried to get this guy to come home, I spoke to the Embassy and attempted to contact his family. As soon as he got wind of what I was trying to do things changed. This was no 'Deer Hunter' ending where I brought him home in a box. I bought him some food, paid off some of his debts and then started to make my own life. At the end of the day people have to want to help themselves.

Well done to the OP for showing a bit of human compassion for a fellow Westerner obviously down on his luck.

But unfortunately, sometimes living a while here, you cannot be cynical enough regarding scams and such. :o

I am currently staying in a hotel on Sukumivit Soi 5 whilst some family are in town. Yesterday I headed up the road to get some lunch and noticed a western guy lying fast asleep in a crumpled heap in some derelict land just opposite the Bel Air Princess Hotel. On the way back an hour later he was sat on the pavement, with the thousand yard stare in a really sorry state. Some cabbies came up to me and asked me to give him some money, saying 'He got no money'.

He looks to be in his late 30's, unshaven, unwashed and wears loud clothing, lots of bright stripy stuff. Carries a stick with him. I didnt speak to him to see if he was ok or not as I had my baby in a pram with me. Not overly concerned but dont tend to make a habit of chatting to guys who appear to be wasted and are carrying big sticks when I have my baby with me. Just wanted to know if anyone out there is familiar with this guy and know his story?

Excelent reply, well said!!

The people I trust least in Thailand are other Farangs. Particularly the ones down on their luck. As for the Thai's (Those down on their luck) they typically have no choice but to stay in Thailand but every Farang you see made a choice to be here thus if their gamble didn't pay off I don't feel I need to rescue them. Quite honestly I don't feel any pity for them as chumps are a dime a dozen. A blind or deaf child in Thailand, a monk trying to save his temple from flooding, a girl who's parent's both died and is trying to find a decent job are the kind of people I would help. I don't know this guy and am not saying he's a bad guy but I'd rather err on the side of caution and be hard to a world that is ready to slit my throat for a few Baht. I think the only suitable reply to the taxi driver's is Kaw Toht pom mai mee ngen loei. Sorry I don't have any money.

Sorry but helping this guy more likely than not is a dead end.

I was previously homeless, and I compliment the OP on his compassion and concern for another human being. I think, as suggested already, the best thing to do would be to talk to the guy when you are without pram. I would imagine that homeless on the street of a foreign country, where you might not know the language, must be a scary place to be. Anybody can end up in this position.

I was staying in Suk, a month ago and saw the same guy I would not have approached him, he had a nasty look in his eyes, the one that states " I am on the edge give me a reason to stab you" just my humble opinion, but its nice that you are willing to tempt fate.

I have come to the conclusion that farangs with no money are of no interest to the police. I know one useless farang who lies, cheats, scams and steals to be able to afford to drink. He then frequently gets into bar room fights and has been in jail several times. The police let him sober up and turn him loose. He has no visa and no income. The police cannot extort any money out of him so they leave him alone.
:o

This is true.

Also, there's a lot of paper work involved in arresting an individual and holding them at the immigration jail. And three meals a day have to be provided.

Basically - the police will turn a blind eye - everywhere - unless the individual becomes a social nuisance or commits a criminal offence - and then again - only a warning may be issued.

In short - no money - no interest by the police - when often arrest and eventual deportation would probably be in the best long term interests for that individual - particularly when there is no-one left to help them - friends and family - and they are no longer able to help themselves.

Does he look like this?

That fish species is a plaice not a sole............ Inhabits N. Atlantic waters and British Channel.

There are a few around there. There is one female as well who gets plastered and lies on the street near Tony Roma. I have seen at least 3 westerners around that area of recent, most look like complete alcoholics. ( unlike the one which scams 30k baht a month on the over passes at the train stations )

the guy probably just needs a place to stay and someone who can get him a job teaching english (Stickman are you there?). if we can start a collection pool, put me down for 100 baht. for all we know, he probably has a book of poems or songs in his back pocket. who knows what magical things he has seen during his journey.

He'll need at least one fresh set of clothes, a haircut, a shave and no doubt a real good shower if he wants to get a teaching job... When you are down on our luck, teaching is the easiest option.

There was a farang outside ASOKE also but this guy looked 55 up begging

I know a couple of people who have talked to him. I don't think he is begging as he doesn't ask for money. All he wants is a job.

Great.... Beggar Bashing... TV's "finest(?)" on a topic that makes them feel good about themselves.

I don't see many posters bashing the man here, and from people's experiences of this man it doesn't seem like he is begging either. Perhaps it's time you changed the record in accordance to the topic and the responses GH.

He'll need at least one fresh set of clothes, a haircut, a shave and no doubt a real good shower if he wants to get a teaching job... When you are down on our luck, teaching is the easiest option.

An education would come in handy too :o

Naka.

I appreciate the advice, and having lived here for a number of years I am not easily fooled or drawn into scams (none of us are 100% bulletproof though). This one seemed different though hence the fact that I posted up a question. The taxi drivers seemed concerned that I help him financially so that perhaps he would clear off. They seemed very uncomfortable by his prescence and their motives seemed more based on the idea of 'He is one of yours, sort him out' as opposed to them exploiting him or running a scam.

I was just wondering if anyone was familiar with this guy? At no time did he appear to beg, he was far too gone to even look up at people walking past. My wife said that he looked like a crushed man, one who had lost everything. She was pretty disturbed by him, filled with worry. Whilst this country is filled with lost souls, shattered people and others just down on their luck, I hope that the day never comes where I can walk past one of them without feeling sympathy and compassion.

"I was just wondering if anyone was familiar with this guy? At no time did he appear to beg, he was far too gone to even look up at people walking past. My wife said that he looked like a crushed man, one who had lost everything."

Hmmm. Sounds a little like George W. Bush to me. :o