Move To Thailand

Thaicoon

Hi Guy's, moving to Thailand once i have sold my Business, got the house all built and also got other properties and a 4x4, so once i move do not have to worry about building etc, i am forty and fed up with all the hassle in the UK, high taxes, tosser tony, etc and all the red tape and hassle in running your own Business, how much cash do you think i will need to live a comfortable life, i will be living in Buriram, with my Mrs and the one kid, the other will stay in boarding school in the UK, I will appreciate your comments. :o

how much cash u need depends how & where u live. average salary in isaan i.e. buriram, is around 2000 baht a month (30 quid). i reckon a few hundreds of thousands of pounds should buy u quite a comfortable & luxurious life in isaan.

how much would u pay me for such advice ? :o

This topic has been extensively investigated in the Thai Visa & Immigration thread. Check out some of the posts going back a couple months. Just about every aspect of "Moving & Expense" has been discussed.

Good luck with the move!

Hi Guy's, moving to Thailand once i have sold my Business, got the house all built and also got other properties and a 4x4, so once i move do not have to worry about building etc, i am forty and fed up with all the hassle in the UK, high taxes, tosser tony, etc and all the red tape and hassle in running your own Business, how much cash do you think i will need to live a comfortable life, i will be living in Buriram, with my Mrs and the one kid, the other will stay in boarding school in the UK, I will appreciate your comments. 

Are stupid or an just showing off?

You have a house(and other properties), car. You can afford to put your kid in boarding school in the UK.

Ain't going to even bother answering your question, just think again :o

You already have a comfortable life. Interesting to seee if you survive in Buriram.

good luck, you will need it, but not financially.

Hi Guy's, moving to Thailand once i have sold my Business, got the house all built and also got other properties and a 4x4, so once i move do not have to worry about building etc, i am forty and fed up with all the hassle in the UK, high taxes, tosser tony, etc and all the red tape and hassle in running your own Business, how much cash do you think i will need to live a comfortable life, i will be living in Buriram, with my Mrs and the one kid, the other will stay in boarding school in the UK, I will appreciate your comments. 

Are stupid or an just showing off?

You have a house(and other properties), car. You can afford to put your kid in boarding school in the UK.

Ain't going to even bother answering your question, just think again :D

You already have a comfortable life. Interesting to seee if you survive in Buriram.

good luck, you will need it, but not financially.

Think about this one mate, it may hurt, :D , When i move to Thailand i will be 40, if i live to 90 that is another 50 years, i will not be working, i will have to make cuts in my spending etc, also have you read about the pension fiasco in the UK, you now will have to work untill you drop, Mr Blairs idea, you have to work and pay taxes in the UK for 44 years before you get a full state pension, now this will increase, if you were a dosser, never done a stroke, never paid into the system this will not afect you as the government keep dossers and all the shit in this country (UK), they do not worry, are you one of them, have i pissed you off, i bet i have now :D , i appriciate the comments on this forum of the other couple of guys, thanks guys, if you are in Buriram i will buy you a beer, and if you are ever there Neeraman, i will but you a tapwater, sorry thats all i can afford :D

You have got to look into the future.

Neeraman, wish you good luck you may need it more than me....... :o

if you are in Buriram i will buy you a beer

OK - I'll give some advice.

I reckon in your circumstances (house/car paid for) you need 40,000 baht/month. To get this income from investments without depleting the capital sum you should have Baht12,000,000 wisely invested, i.e. a 4% drawdown.

This excludes your kids school fees in UK and could increase if the kid with you in LOS needs expensive education.

Think about this one mate, it may hurt,  , When i move to Thailand i will be 40, if i live to 90 that is another 50 years, i will not be working, i will have to make cuts in my spending etc, also have you read about the pension fiasco in the UK, you now will have to work untill you drop, Mr Blairs idea, you have to work and pay taxes in the UK for 44 years before you get a full state pension, now this will increase, if you were a dosser, never done a stroke, never paid into the system this will not afect you as the government keep dossers and all the shit in this country (UK), they do not worry, are you one of them, have i pissed you off, i bet i have now  , i appriciate the comments on this forum of the other couple of guys, thanks guys, if you are in Buriram i will buy you a beer, and if you are ever there Neeraman, i will but you a tapwater, sorry thats all i can afford 

Neeraman, wish you good luck you may need it more than me....... 

Thaicoon

Why do you think I am a dosser? Why do you think you have pissed me off? Are you trying to piss me off?

You haven't, but I think I may have you. If I have, I must apologise, I read your note at a bad time.

I left the UK when I was in my mid 20's after a couple of years in the oil business after Uni. Many people thought I was crazy leaving that very well paid work, maybe I am. I came her relatively young, I am still in my 30's. That doesn't make me a dosser, does it? I don't like the UK, similar to you. I got out before you, and for that I am grateful.

I have worked here for 12 years sometimes 7 days a week, 6 days at least for most of those years. I know many guys who have worked in the UK, especially in the oil industry who can retire now. All they have to do is rent out their house and they can live comfortably in Thailand.

I am jealous that I don't have a house back "home". I didn't choose that conventional way of job,motgage,fancy car. I have had a great time and glad I haven't wasted the last 12 years. I may die tomorrow, and believe me, I will be content. 12 years ago, I used to get paid 20 quid an hour or 1400 baht/hour. More in a week than I get in a month here! I was not happy though driving around in my flash car etc etc.

I don't understand guys like you worrying about money, are you better than the rice farmer living next to you in Buriram? Let's just leave it there.

To answer your original question - I think you will need about 60,000 baht a month to be comfortable. I need about 30,000 , also in Isaarn. I have earned a lot more, and needed a lot more but have gradually felt more comfortable on less, and learned how to control my money. You will probably need more when you come than after a few years living here.

Don't worry about the future, in 20 years or so, you will be an old age pensioner and might get a pension from the Govt(something I won't-least of my worries), you could even think of selling one of your properties to get by in Isarn. A few million baht can go very very very far. Don't worry, after 20 years in Isarn most people get to know how to make that much money work :o

Good luck.

ps. why not start a business here.

To answer your original question - I think you will need about 60,000 baht a month to be comfortable. I need about 30,000 , also in Isaarn. I have earned a lot more, and needed a lot more but have gradually felt more comfortable on less, and learned how to control my money. You will probably need more when you come than after a few years living here.

I should add that 30,000 looks after myself, my wife and young daughter. School fees, babysitter fees,house rental, saving 5,000 a month for my kid, and transport.

Anyone retiring at your age needs some growth assets.....maybe a business would be a possibility. I invested in Australian shares about 10 years ago (it helps that I am an Australian, obviously) and now have a very comfortable, and growing, income from dividends.

Your comments blaming the UK Labour government for the problem with UK pensions is misplaced, I think....surely people should not expect more back than they contribute?????

From what you have already told us, I dont think the financial side of things will be anything to worry about, however if you are not working what will you be doing with yourself? Sure your "honeymoon" period may last a few months - but then what? Buriram is not exactly the most exciting place in the world! If you get p*ssed off with the way things are in the UK you will get even more p*ssed off with the way things work in Thailand. I think it is pure folly to completely sever all ties with your home country, and once you do, you will end up regretting it.

From what you have already told us, I dont think the financial side of things will be anything to worry about, however if you are not working what will you be doing with yourself? Sure your "honeymoon" period may last a few months - but then what? Buriram is not exactly the most exciting place in the world! If you get p*ssed off with the way things are in the UK you will get even more p*ssed off with the way things work in Thailand. I think it is pure folly to completely sever all ties with your home country, and once you do, you will end up regretting it.

Jimbo, I think Thailand either cures you, or kills you...Seriously.

For me, it became crystal clear that to drive myself nuts over shit here was a total waste of time and energy, and could only come out bad for me, as it has for the hundreds of aquaintances I've had who've left here hating Thailand, dreams shattered.... The 'Mai pen Rai' thing has helped me maintain what sanity I have. Learning how to let go when appropriate has been one of the best lessons in my life, and I'm grateful to Thailand for teaching that to me.....But don't mistake me for someone with their head in the sand! I deal with everything head-on :o

For me, I feel I have sooo much more freedom here to create the life I want. It's like a big candy store in some ways, and like a candy store, too much will make you sick. Balance in everything is a key...

In fact, I am Thai, whether anyone else agrees with me or not. Nobody can deny me what's been in my heart for the last almost 20 years. I love my country very much, and frankly, it has always been much kinder to me than my birthplace.

Life here is what you make it, I believe :D

Your comments blaming the UK Labour government for the problem with UK pensions is misplaced, I think....surely people should not expect more back than they contribute?????

That's the point. Pensions in the UK do not work in the same way as Australia. How much you get at the end of it bears no relation whatsoever to how much you put in...

They've continued the, admittedly Conservative, option of increasing state pensions in line with the standard inflation figures, rather than in line with average wages. (So - although you should still be able to buy the same amount of food, it won't take into account increases in things not covered by the inflation figures, and as the difference between what pensioners get, and what people earn increases, they will have a comparatively worse standard of living.)

As a sop to this, they are increasing means-testing for additional payments. - so that literally, those who have never saved a penny in their lives (regardless of how much they earned) will get a bigger pension than those who saved (whether they earned less/more, regardless of how much tax they paid, etc.). i.e. The government is literally telling people that if they save for the future, they will get less money than if they don't. (and they are then shocked when the personal pension savings scheme that they launch fails abysmally).

And, of course, if you move to Thailand, you don't even get the pension increases in line with inflation.... - your state pension is frozen at the level it was when you move here... (but if you move to the Phillipines, it's not???)

Finally, they've killed off company pension schemes (at least ones based on final salary), by taxing dividends where they were never taxed in the past. (Inland Revenue gets an extra £5bn a year out of that - but it's being paid for by stealing it from pensions...).

I'm still in my 30s, and as far as I'm concerned, I cannot rely on a UK state pension. - as by the time I would be eligible, 75% of people would supposedly qualify for the means-tested extras. - and there's no way that the country could actually afford to pay that given that there would, by then, be more pensioners than people actually working and paying tax.

State pension schemes are something that was thought up in the wake of the first world war, when people didn't live as long, and barring Sweden and Australia, have never been properly thought through as to where the money will come from when the baby boomers have all retired. In other countries (like US/UK etc.) - either the pensionable age will go up to about 70, or the amount paid out will be reduced to the bare minimum to live on (or less). Either way, I don't intend to rely on it for anything other than pocket money.

Think about this one mate, it may hurt,  , When i move to Thailand i will be 40, if i live to 90 that is another 50 years, i will not be working, i will have to make cuts in my spending etc, also have you read about the pension fiasco in the UK, you now will have to work untill you drop, Mr Blairs idea, you have to work and pay taxes in the UK for 44 years before you get a full state pension, now this will increase, if you were a dosser, never done a stroke, never paid into the system this will not afect you as the government keep dossers and all the shit in this country (UK), they do not worry, are you one of them, have i pissed you off, i bet i have now  , i appriciate the comments on this forum of the other couple of guys, thanks guys, if you are in Buriram i will buy you a beer, and if you are ever there Neeraman, i will but you a tapwater, sorry thats all i can afford 

Neeraman, wish you good luck you may need it more than me....... 

Thaicoon

Why do you think I am a dosser? Why do you think you have pissed me off? Are you trying to piss me off?

You haven't, but I think I may have you. If I have, I must apologise, I read your note at a bad time.

I left the UK when I was in my mid 20's after a couple of years in the oil business after Uni. Many people thought I was crazy leaving that very well paid work, maybe I am. I came her relatively young, I am still in my 30's. That doesn't make me a dosser, does it? I don't like the UK, similar to you. I got out before you, and for that I am grateful.

I have worked here for 12 years sometimes 7 days a week, 6 days at least for most of those years. I know many guys who have worked in the UK, especially in the oil industry who can retire now. All they have to do is rent out their house and they can live comfortably in Thailand.

I am jealous that I don't have a house back "home". I didn't choose that conventional way of job,motgage,fancy car. I have had a great time and glad I haven't wasted the last 12 years. I may die tomorrow, and believe me, I will be content. 12 years ago, I used to get paid 20 quid an hour or 1400 baht/hour. More in a week than I get in a month here! I was not happy though driving around in my flash car etc etc.

I don't understand guys like you worrying about money, are you better than the rice farmer living next to you in Buriram? Let's just leave it there.

Don't worry about the future, in 20 years or so, you will be an old age pensioner and might get a pension from the Govt(something I won't-least of my worries), you could even think of selling one of your properties to get by in Isarn. A few million baht can go very very very far. Don't worry, after 20 years in Isarn most people get to know how to make that much money work :o

Good luck.

ps. why not start a business here.

Thanks neeraman, thanks for the advise, it is good, i just like to get all my facts togeather before the big move, i also have a couple of kids, so got to send the one to school in thailand, she is only 2, anyhow if you get in the bamboo i will now buy you a beer, not a tapwater, all the best and thanks for the advice, it is appreciated.

I do get a bit of an income a year from the rice, about 120,000 baht, not bad, i am going to find something to do just to earn this 20 to 30,000 baht a month, i want to sit on my capital and get by on what i can get in Thailand, i have a bit of rent coming in from two condos, so i think i will get by if i am sensible, i wil also invest some of my cash, i must do something otherwise get bored and lead to drinking heavy, i have seen this with a few of my mates.

Thanks Guys, your comments have helped a lot and are sensible, and given me a few ideas, keep em coming, all the best

THAICOON

I do get a bit of an income a year from the rice, about 120,000 baht, not bad, i am going to find something to do just to earn this 20 to 30,000 baht a month, i want to sit on my capital and get by on what i can get in Thailand, i have a bit of rent coming in from two condos, so i think i will get by if i am sensible, i wil also invest some of my cash, i must do something otherwise get bored and lead to drinking heavy, i have seen this with a few of my mates.

Good idea to check out what you need before you settle. I think you are right that you need something to do - one thing to think about is work for the community. When you get involved with the community, then you start to feel as if you have been accepted by the local people, and believe me you will never starve. This keeps you busy and you meet people and it makes you, and others feel good. Maybe it is like anywhere, but I feel that it is who you know in this part of the world, rather than what you know/what you have.

One word of advice, you will be a target when you are new to the area and look as if you have money to throw around. There will, probably, be a few undesirables sniffing around. Don't let them scare you, tell them where to go from the start.

I live in Isarn and it is very sad to see those farang guys sitting by themselves in the restaurant with a table covered in empties. I have tried to speak to some of these guys but when I say that I have quit drinking due to a BIG problem, they get on the defensive and say they don't have a problem, even though they have been drinking there " gin dtang dtae chao....took wee wan" which means from the morning every day, which are lyrics from my favourite Carabao song - Lung Kee Mao(Alcoholic Uncle).

Try to keep a network of expat friends - we should be here to help each other.

Cheers

I may drop by for a soda water :o

Here's my take on the relative cost of living: The basic necessities of life - food (that is Thai food), public transportation, clothes, rent, etc... cost about 1/3 of what they do in London or the more expensive parts of the US (like California). Other things, like cars, non-Thai manufactured electronics, non-Thai foods, etc..., will cost as much or more than they do back home!

So, if you use public transportation, eat Thai food and generally "go native", you can live on about 1/3 of what you are used to living on. However, if you want the same lifestyle that you had back home, your costs will be much higher.

Good luck!

However, if you want the same lifestyle that you had back home, your costs will be much higher.

Same lifestyle as back home? Why on earth would you want to downgrade your lifestyle from Thai standards to miserable British standards?

:o

Same lifestyle as back home? Why on earth would you want to downgrade your lifestyle from Thai standards to miserable British standards?

Last time I looked Thailand had a national income per person of $2010 and the UK a figure of $23590.So to compare standards on an economic level is a no brainer.Perhaps you are referring to non-economic criteria such as culture,weather,spirituality,education,cuisine,health or literacy.But Thailand doesn't really score over the UK here either except of course for weather and cuisine.My take is that Thailand and the UK are both wonderful countries, but with different strengths and weaknesses.

I don't think it would occur to any well adjusted British expatriate to make such a bitter comparison.The sad fact is that unsuccessful disfunctional losers in the Uk are probably going to be unsuccessful disfunctional losers in Thailand.

Last time I looked Thailand had a national income per person of $2010 and the UK a figure of $23590.So to compare standards on an economic level is a no brainer.Perhaps you are referring to non-economic criteria such as culture,weather,spirituality,education,cuisine,health or literacy.But Thailand doesn't really score over the UK here either except of course for weather and cuisine.My take is that Thailand and the UK are both wonderful countries, but with different strengths and weaknesses.

I don't think it would occur to any well adjusted British expatriate to make such a bitter comparison.The sad fact is that unsuccessful disfunctional losers in the Uk are probably going to be unsuccessful disfunctional losers in Thailand.

It's not as out of proportion as it looks at first glance,

ever hear of purchasing power parity?

I feel a little sorry for you.

I used the word 'lifestyle' and you heard 'income'.

That's a bit sad.

I feel a little sorry for you.

I used the word 'lifestyle' and you heard 'income'.

That's a bit sad.

I touched firstly on income because it's a key ingredient, not necessarily the most important I agree, of any lifestyle.I mentioned a number of other criteria and fully conceded Thailand's superiority in cuisine and weather.So in a genuine spirit of enquiry, I would like to know exactly what you mean by miserable British standards.

I'm 46, been here for 6.5 yrs. Left a good job, family and friends behind in the UK. People, both here and back home, just couldn't understand what I was doing.

Have I had any regrets since being here - yes, of course I have. BUT, this country has made me grow up. Took a while though.

I have a property in London, which I rent out. This causes me regular headaches - ie boiler blows up, give us 1,600 pounds to install a new one etc. However, I agree with other posters on this thread. Namely

1. Don't cut all your ties with your home country.

2. You've got to save for the future.

3. For me, most importantly, DO something to keep yourself occupied - even teaching English on a voluntary basis, otherwise it's easy to drown.

Money here? No idea. Up to you.

I touched firstly on income because it's a key ingredient, not necessarily the most important I agree, of any lifestyle.I mentioned a number of other criteria and fully conceded Thailand's superiority in cuisine and weather.So in a genuine spirit of enquiry, I would like to know exactly what you mean by miserable British standards.

Why would you be interested in the views of a 'maladjusted Brit expat ' who is probably an 'unsuccessful disfunctional loser' ?

So in a genuine spirit of enquiry, I would like to know exactly what you mean by miserable British standards.

I would hazard a guess that the chap is referring to the boring Pub/TV/Footie outlook that is shared by 99% of Brits in 2004. Oh I forgot the 2 week holiday and Xmas.

Sanuk it ain't...... :o