Demand A Tip !

actiondell4

I have now started a policy of not tipping if a person asks.

I always use to go to a well known fish cafe in Jomtien until the waitress during my meal announced she wanted a tip after i finsh.

I was embarrassed so i just smiled,until she came over half way thru my meal,"you leave 100 baht ok",i live Naklua i rent to pay".

I left her 40 baht.

Yes i tipped her but i have not bothered to go back.

Today i went past a German Cafe i use to eat at who was owned by a very nice old german guy,only to find it now owned by a Thai Guy and his farang boyfriend overseas.

The service was not good and the Frankfurt and bread was not cooked.It was still frozen even though i told the Thai boy owner he snatched it out of my hand and again microwaved it .

Why he was such bad mannered i dont know

The place seemed to have changed,it use to be busy but only i was seated.

Anyway the checkbin came to 130 baht so i left 150 b,leaving a 20 b tip.

The feminine waiter/part Thai owner announced he wanted 50 baht.

I didnt want to be rude so i smiled thinking he was joking,but he wasnt and snapped at me 50 baht,so i took the 20 baht back and walked out.

I was going to say to him,you ungrateful pig,but i held myself back.

Do you tip if they demand it beforehand?

Edited by actiondell4

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it's just another example that the Pattaya between Beach Road and Sukhumvit is not really part of true Thailand.

And that goes for farangs as well as Thais.

There are of course, many exceptions.... but the general thrust..... :o

Wow, that would pretty much put me over the edge. I think I would leave nothing and I would never return--at least as long as that waiter/waitress was there.

I usually tip quite well, especially if I am sitting some place drinking. There really aren't any clubs in the area where I live, so when I stay at these places, it is rather unusual for them. I usually ask for a specific waiter/waitress and send the rest away. I don't like them hoovering over the table etc. I usually find someone who figures out what I want and stick with that one. They are then generously reward for their tolerance (although not over the top).

If it's a place I frequent and the waiter/waitress is a problem, I would let the manager know--discreetly. This is easier for me because I am not in a tourist area and the places I frequent aren't very busy and most of us are from the area.

A true peeve of mine. I tip OK in general but if a tip is demanded, no tip. Do not reward rudeness.

Don't get me wrong, I don't expect these rude people to "learn" anything or change their behavior. I imagine they imagine I wouldn't have tipped anyway.

Edited by Jingthing

I was in a nightclub in Bangkok with my girlfriend and a group of mutual friends. Throughout the evening we were each asked for a Tip from the waiter who was doing an excellent job of taking care of our table.

We each had no idea that the other had been asked for a tip. When I was asked I thought, OK, he’s doing a great job, 100B will keep him happy for now and I’ll drop him another 100B at the end (not excessive tipping for taking care of a table of about 8 for 4 hours or so).

However, at some point in the evening the ‘did you Tip the waiter yet’ conversation started… it turned out that about 5 of us had already tipped him thinking that the others had simply forgot to look after the one who was looking after us,…. But…he was really trying it on !!!

When questioned about his ‘cheeky requests’ for excessive tipping, he claimed we had not tipped him.

This was rather daft as both my friend and I tipped him 100B each, his wife and my GF also tipped him, so did another friend, He’d made 500B in tips from our table inside an hour.

He was rather indignant and was annoyed that we had caught him out.

He was very apologetic when he found out my friend and I are two of the partners in a small consortium of partners of the club.

He offered to return the tip’s he had gained from us.

He lost his job as when it was explained to the senior partners. They had no desire to have him annoying other customers for a tip in such an excessive manner.

Another occasion –

I was returning from Kho Samet. After leaving my car at the ferry port for the weekend the parking guys brushed it off, pushed a couple of other cars out of the way before I could drive out. I had 100B ready for a tip.

However as I was maneuvering one of the guys tapped on my bonnet and said “tip for me”… I ignored him, moved on and gave one of the other guys 50B, his share of the tip !

Normally, when asked for a tip most of the time it halves….. or they just end up with the coins !

We can’t re-educate the world. I tip reasonably well for good service. I never want to tip too much as it may have impact on the attitude of a place (some places can become too complacent and expectant).

I will never get rich by not tipping or tipping less. However, I have no desire to feed the demands of those cheeky enough to request a tip.

I normally tip 20 baht plus any coins in the change when eating or drinking out, I have been told by 2 girlfriends that that is plently regardless of the size of the check bin, I even had one thai girl tell me that I'm too generous and should just leave the coins.

Unfortunately this asking for a tip is getting more and more prevelant in Pattaya, it has also happened to me on the Dark side at one of the restaurants around the lake and even one of the delivery guys for nick the pizza asked my girlfriend for a bigger tip. In the restaurant by the lake my gf had asked for the check bin and I just handed the cash to my gf who knows that generally I tip 20 baht plus coins which my gf gave the waitress and the waitress said to her in Thai something along the lines off is that all the tip your giving me, my gf was absolutely furious and said something back along the lines of how a Thai person could act so disrespectful and that she should count herself lucky that she was getting a tip.

I make a point now of if there is any mention of a tip then they will not get it.

I think unfortunately that a lot of it may be down to the unwary American tourist who are doing as they do at home and tipping the 10 or 15% of the check bin as is expected in the US, the problem is if you have a meal of 1000 baht and tip 15% you have just actually tipped them a days pay, you can just imagine the baht signs rolling in front of their eyes.

Crikey, that's the first time I've heard of this; perhaps it's mostly a Pattaya/Bangkok thing. However, I know that if anyone asked me for a tip, even if they had done a good job and I had been intending to tip them anyway, their tip would be history.

I had my hair done the other day and was wondering how much to tip a beauty shop.I usually have it done back in the UK and this was just maintenence cut.MIL was with me,we tipped 200 baht,is this fine or should we have tipped more?

I had my hair done the other day and was wondering how much to tip a beauty shop.I usually have it done back in the UK and this was just maintenence cut.MIL was with me,we tipped 200 baht,is this fine or should we have tipped more?

Shave and a haircut costs me 50 baht. I usually tip 20 baht which earns me a "tip too much speech" from the gf. I note Thais tip zero.

I think unfortunately that a lot of it may be down to the unwary American tourist who are doing as they do at home and tipping the 10 or 15% of the check bin as is expected in the US, the problem is if you have a meal of 1000 baht and tip 15% you have just actually tipped them a days pay, you can just imagine the baht signs rolling in front of their eyes

What is the percentage Americans make up of the whole Thai tourist industry? 3%-5% is my guess. Maybe a little more in "certain parts" of Pattaya, but not much. I doubt this tiny sliver is ruining it for everyone else.

Shave and a haircut costs me 50 baht. I usually tip 20 baht which earns me a "tip too much speech" from the gf. I note Thais tip zero.

You tip almost half the price of the service. Which can only tell the staff/owner one thing: You feel the value of the service is worth quite a bit more to you than the stated price. So do not be surpriced when your shave/haircut is priced at 80 Baht next time...

I might come through as a Cheap Charlie, but I think tipping in general is a bad idea. Do you tip the checkout girls at the grocery store? Do you tip the store staff at the shopping mall? If not, why not?

If you buy a service, why is that different from a product? Unless of course a level of service unexpected was provided.

It's not too much, it's the fact that you tip at all. These people have pride and you are insulting them by tipping inappropriately.

When the service is good, I always tip. Many of thse girls are on such low wages it is ridiculous.

However, I have had one girl demand a tip and another demand the vodka left in the bottle (abt a third of a bottle). I refused and made sure they saw I tipped one of the other girls.

Tip on demand? No way.

20 baht is not seen as stingy. I used to be berated for tipping 100 Baht and have been known to tip 1,000 baht in my early days here.

Had one or two of the girls who serve me tell me off for tipping 50 Baht for maybe four hours faultless service, but that is less than £1 and when everything runs so smoothly I do not feel it is overgenerous. On the other hand, with wages at 5,000 baht a month, I can see why 50 baht tip is seen as a lot.

My wife constantly hounds me about not tipping here. I try to explain it isn't like the US or even her homeland of the Philippines. Most Thais in my experience refuse tips when offered. On the occasions that they have done an exceptional job and I do offer, I end up basically forcing on them.

I say to people, read a travel guide, tipping is not the norm in LOS.

..The feminine waiter/part Thai owner announced he wanted 50 baht.

I didnt want to be rude so i smiled thinking he was joking,but he wasnt and snapped at me 50 baht,so i took the 20 baht back and walked out...

Dead right. Well done! :o

I always use to go to a well known fish cafe in Jomtien until the waitress during my meal announced she wanted a tip after i finsh.

I was embarrassed so i just smiled,until she came over half way thru my meal,"you leave 100 baht ok",i live Naklua i rent to pay".

I left her 40 baht.

Today i went past a German Cafe i use to eat at who was owned by a very nice old german guy,only to find it now owned by a Thai Guy and his farang boyfriend overseas.

The service was not good and the Frankfurt and bread was not cooked.It was still frozen even though i told the Thai boy owner he snatched it out of my hand and again microwaved it .

I didnt want to be rude so i smiled thinking he was joking,but he wasnt and snapped at me 50 baht,so i took the 20 baht back and walked out.

never ,and the only tip would be dont eat currants near a rabbit hutch

i give 20baht everywhere unless they ask for it or if its included in the bill(some places do that, which means i never go back)

only time i gave more was in a club in bangkok when i was new there and some waiters were standing next to our table and pouring drinks and mixers for the whole night.. we ended up tipping them over 1000 baht over the night

that night i went to the toilet and the guy washing hands looking like a very very good person with a family trying to provide.. i had no 20baht so i gave him 1thousand

outside of that its always 20baht cause i hate having 20bahts in my wallet... my coins go 100% in gf purse for future savings.

I left her 40 baht.

A tip is a tip is a tip, not expected wage earning. They ask all they get is the tipof my middle finger.

I took the missus to a great Thai restaurant in Central Road, Pattaya. It was crowded but the waitresses made up a table for us. The service was fantastic as was the food.

As we finished and were preparing to leave, I asked for the bill and a young Thai guy brought it to the table. I handed over a large note and he went off to the cashier, returning with my change.

Out of the change I placed 50 baht tip on top of the table and stood up to leave. In a split second, he reached across in front of me, knocking me back down onto my chair, scooped up the tip, pocketed it and walked away. No word of 'Korp Koon Krap', no smile, no apology for knocking me over, no nothing.

The missus and I were both shocked. Another male waiter saw the incident and said something to the guy but he just kept walking away. The waitresses, for whom the tip was intended, came to the table to say 'goodnight' and looked to see whether I had left a tip for them. I felt most embarrassed and sorry for them. They must have thought that I was a Cheap Charlie and/or didn't appreciate their excellent service.

Next time I'll make sure that any tip I leave goes to the people for whom it is intended.

Like many of the others, I always considered the Pattaya/Jomtien area to be a bit of an anomaly.

I used to almost always tip at restaurants but frequently, the service and food is so substandard

there's no reason to go back. I think the important difference seems to be if it is an small

business owner and they seem to have some interest in retaining customers? Many of the larger

places the staff is just surly? Was it too many obnoxious tourists or did they just decide there was

no point in working hard I don't know? But the typically baby-sized portions that most Thais would

laugh at and the inability of so many to even have a pleasant expression on their face makes

eating out a real hit-and-miss affair. Needless to say a good thing nobodys demanded a tip from me. :o

This has been said many times before, but here, if you find the service exceptional and you wish to

show your gratitude you almost have to place the tip in the hand of the waitress, this seems to

exclude it from the general pool. I often give 100b at clubs is someone is concientious.

Edited by cali4995

Pattaya and other tourist resorts might be an anomaly with respect to the entitlement that Thais working there might feel towards your money for average / crappy service. Whatever. If service is poor, I don't tip.

Places like Patong in Phuket however seem to have an inclusive 10% service charge mandatory in every restaurant, bar, hotel, etc. You have to pay however indifferently awful the food or service. Which is worse? :o

Pattaya and other tourist resorts might be an anomaly with respect to the entitlement that Thais working there might feel towards your money for average / crappy service. Whatever. If service is poor, I don't tip.

Places like Patong in Phuket however seem to have an inclusive 10% service charge mandatory in every restaurant, bar, hotel, etc. You have to pay however indifferently awful the food or service. Which is worse? :o

...just another good reason to avoid these places...when will they learn I wonder?