Demand A Tip !

actiondell4

Actually I dont care much about poor service depending on what it is.

However the Ladyboy waiter in that German restaurant was jusat plain abrupt.

There is a difference between poor service and being bad mannered.

I dont mind poor service if it cant be helped but this waiter was bad mannered.

"Give me 50 baht now' ! 50 baht tip please "!shouting it out loudly.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For those who choose not to tip, or choose to leave a miserly 1 bt.

1) Pretty dang stingy in my opinion.

2) Consider the exceedingly low wage of service staff (200-250 bt per day)

3) If a mistake is made and an order needs replacement the full cost comes directly from the server's paycheck.

4) Taking a day off of work may result in a 3-day deduction in server wages

5) Restaurant food costs are normally, but not always, much lower than back home - so you're already getting good value for the money.

6) Server's work something like 60 hours per week - I'd be surly too

7) Server's don't have proper training and can't be expected to perform as you are accustomed.

8) What is 20 baht to you anyway? Will it break your bank?

9) Server's often deal with Westerners whose manners and behaviors aren't appropriate according to Thai culture and expectations.

10) Thai people tip as well - it's not just some hairbrained American thing.

Most of the above is irrelivant as I do tip When;

A) They don't steal my tip ahead of time with a "service charge"

B ) The food and service is good or at least not horrible..

I think its really ignorant to go out to eat if you can't afford to tip, however the tip should be earned not taken and definetly not taken for granted.

Edited by Huey

Pattaya and other tourist resorts might be an anomaly with respect to the entitlement that Thais working there might feel towards your money for average / crappy service. Whatever. If service is poor, I don't tip.

Places like Patong in Phuket however seem to have an inclusive 10% service charge mandatory in every restaurant, bar, hotel, etc. You have to pay however indifferently awful the food or service. Which is worse? :o

If, as you say, most restaurants in the area adopt this policy it seems you have little choice. In Pattaya only a few restaurants seem to do this and they are places where I only eat ONCE!

A tip is for exceptional service not a right, which, in the case of the added service charge probably goes to the restaurant rather than to the service staff any way!

Yes, it is making a point. It is saying I'm a cheap charlie. I don't have sympathy for the server, and I haven't yet figured out that the service was probably poor because the server had no training.

It's a pity the business owners driving their Mercedes are such Cheap Charlie's paying the low wages, which make it necessary for customers to feel shamed into leaving large tips because the poor servers don't get paid much.

Pattaya and other tourist resorts might be an anomaly with respect to the entitlement that Thais working there might feel towards your money for average / crappy service. Whatever. If service is poor, I don't tip.

Places like Patong in Phuket however seem to have an inclusive 10% service charge mandatory in every restaurant, bar, hotel, etc. You have to pay however indifferently awful the food or service. Which is worse? :o

If, as you say, most restaurants in the area adopt this policy it seems you have little choice. In Pattaya only a few restaurants seem to do this and they are places where I only eat ONCE!

A tip is for exceptional service not a right, which, in the case of the added service charge probably goes to the restaurant rather than to the service staff any way!

A moderate tip is a cultural expectation. It is not for exceptional service. A somewhat larger tip is for exceptional service. If there is an added service charge there is no need to tip, unless the service is exceptional, then feel free to give a tip directly into the hand of the server.

I would agree that wages should be much higher than they presently are here. I would also agree that it is somewhat rude to ask for a tip.

Edited by way2muchcoffee

I had my hair done the other day and was wondering how much to tip a beauty shop.I usually have it done back in the UK and this was just maintenence cut.MIL was with me,we tipped 200 baht,is this fine or should we have tipped more?

2000 baht is standard for hairdressers I think, or 5000 baht if they do a very good job.

Just arrrive recently did you?

Hairdressers do not get tips in Thailand

You'd get a similar reaction of shock/embarrassment/insult if you tipped the dentist.

If you want to bring your culture here it's up to you, but if you don't want people laughing at you learn the local customs.

That's not necessarily true. My former barber in Jomtien always charged me the Thai price and I always gave her a 20 baht tip. To my embarrassment, she sometime took me before Thai customers who were waiting.

You are quite right Gary. My wife has been a hairdresser for 20+ years and gratefully and graciously accepts any offered tips. She does however "chide" me on occasion if she thinks I've over tipped.

Where - Pattaya, Samui?

The trick with motorcycle taxis is to know what the rate is supposed to be. Do not discuss the rate before the trip. When you get to the destination give him what you know is the correct price and walk away. Nine times out of ten nothing will be said, just a fair exchange.

I've found that as well. One of the few times not to ask the price beforehand. :o

As for tips, I've never really understood them. People should be paid enough so they don't require tips.

Edited by katana

The trick with motorcycle taxis is to know what the rate is supposed to be. Do not discuss the rate before the trip. When you get to the destination give him what you know is the correct price and walk away. Nine times out of ten nothing will be said, just a fair exchange.

I've found that as well. One of the few times not to ask the price beforehand. :D

As for tips, I've never really understood them. People should be paid enough so they don't require tips.

Maybe, but they are often NOT! :o

@ the OP

:o OMG

You go to the wrong places (mind you your in PATTAYA)

I never get asked for a tip, the only time I do leave a tip (my choice) is when the food and/or srevice is good, normally I just leave the coins for the establishment, and twenty baht to my waitress/waiter, but when the service is fantastic, I give fifty or one hundred baht to the person looking after our table, when ever I/we go back, the service remains fantastic.

Stop being a tourist. Get out and about, the food is much better.

How do you like this story endings ?

In 2001, my sis ( we're all from BKK, except at that time I was living in NYC) just moves to Guanzhou, China to set up a family business. So I flew to China and spent sometimes with her. I got a multiple visa ( paid$65 ) in which enables me to stay up to 60 days.

Into second week of arriving Guangzhou, I got a terible news: my brother is in hospital for brain cancer, so I hastily arranged to fly to see him in BKK.

That evening, my Thai friends ( 8 of us) took me to one of the lovely Thai restaurant (formerly was a big nice house converted into a restaurant). It has a piano bar playing soft music in the background, the dining room light was dim, quite dark, hardly could see the menu, so we asked the chef to prepare several dishes for us.

The food was fantastic, we even asked the chef prepared two dishes twice. We were very happy with the whole things: food, service, atmosphere.

We paid our bill plus 18% tip.

I asked to see the chef, when she came to the table, I opend my purse and pulled out 3X100 RED bills and placed neatly in her palm, got up and ready to leave. The chef came running after us, caught us at the front door, kept saying 'kob-kuun ka' with wai. At that moment I felt a little embarrased seeing how happy she was, I felt I should gave her more, not the 300THB I just gave her.

Anyway, the next morning, after going through all my cash in the purse ( I always carry USD,THB, Chiness yuan whenever I'm travelling in S.E Asia) now that explains why the chef acting ecsatic uppon receiving my personel tip. My mistook , I gave her 3x100 Chinese yuan. That mean I gave her almost $50 ( 1USD= 8+...yuan)....ha..ha..ha. :o:D

I have never been asked for a tip, but if I was they wouldn't get one. If I get good service then 20Baht plus the spare coins in the change, if I get poor service then I leave nothing. Isn't tipping supposed to be in recognition of good ?service.

Yes bouncing boobs (and great boobs they are) your right, I for one though prefer to dine at places that don't charge the 10%, if its your first time there, how do you know what the food/service is like? If it's no good you have no option than pay the 10% or complain bitterly and try to get a reduction for the said 10%.

I much rather give credit where credit is due (with my own judgement) and leave or not leave a tip as I see fit.

Great boobs by the way, did I say that already?

Isn't tipping supposed to be in recognition of good ?service.

I suppose it depends on where you are.

If you don't tip in the U.S. you are stealing money directly from the pocket of the server as he/she must pay taxes on 10% of the food and beverage bill. 10% of the bill is taxable income for the server.

So if you have a bill of $20 and tip nothing, assuming a 15% income tax rate, you have just stolen $0.30 from the waiter. Anything you tip over $0.30 goes to the waiter/waitress and is the actual tip they receive.

Here in Thailand the rules are different. Here the tip is an expectation, regardless of the quality of service, but it depends on the category of restaurant you go to.

Street vendors = no tip.

Outdoor Low-End Thai restaurants = the change leftover or maybe 20 bt

Outdoor or Indoor Medium Quality = 20 bt, and maybe the change too if it is nice place

Higher Quality = 20 bt minimum, more for very good service

Highest Quality = It's part of the bill, but you can feel free to tip more if service was excellent

There are minimum tips that are culturally acceptable. It's up to you whether to impose your values or not, but in my experience living in foreign countries it is best to follow cultural norms and expectations.

Edited by way2muchcoffee

The one and only time I have ever been asked for a tip here in Laos was at a bowling alley which also has a nightclub at the back. The place is pretty much inhabited by either middle aged well off Lao men with their 'mia noi' or the early 20 folks on a night out.

Me and my friend went bowl while our wifes went to the nightclub obviously we stood out like sore thumbs and were probably clocked as tourists since there was no Lao women with us. Anyway after a few games and drinks where there service was pretty dire also we decided we'd had enough and go see the wifes.

I paid the bill and as I was walking out the guy who had got our shoes put out his hand and said 'tip . .' I just looked at him and laughed and walk off.

I only tip if I've recieved good service - it ain't a default thing - if you want a tip then take good care of people and tips will come.

Here in Thailand the rules are different. Here the tip is an expectation, regardless of the quality of service, but it depends on the category of restaurant you go to.

Street vendors = no tip.

Outdoor or Indoor Medium Quality = 20 bt, and maybe the change too if it is nice place

Highest Quality = It's part of the bill, but you can feel free to tip more if service was excellent

There are minimum tips that are culturally acceptable. It's up to you whether to impose your values or not, but in my experience living in foreign countries it is best to follow cultural norms and expectations.

The tip is not an expectation in Thailand, it is a reward. Establishments that impose 10% service charge are simply making you pay for the cost of the wait staff. Establishments that don't pay out of the total income.

The minimum tip culturally acceptable in Thailand is zero. However, in Bangkok and other cities, a tip (the coins or a 20) is given more often than not because the customers don't want the change. Educated Thais will usually round up the tip to 10% in a decent restaurant without the service charge imposed.

Any time you are asked for a tip, it is extremely rude, as they would dare not ask a Thai for a tip. I repeat, a tip is *not* an expectation in Thailand.

Now that we've gotten that out of the way - in my opinion not tipping wait staff is also rude unless you have been treated quite badly. Not tipping when you've been treated well is not only cheap charlie, it is sheer arrogance.

With regards to other service industries, there is absolutely no reason why you shouldn't tip if you feel like it, as long as you keep it under 10-20% of the cost of the service. Anything more is definitely embarrassing but some people don't care, they'll take any amount you give them :o

Edited by onethailand

The best part of living in Isan is that I never get charged Farang prices, and tips are never expected, but even a few baht are graciously received.

In the UK I was always led to believe that only employees were tipped, but the bosses or self employed were not. Why is it that bar girls, massage girls etc expect a tip. They name their fee, and that should be it!

• 2 weeks later...

If you don't tip in the U.S. you are stealing money directly from the pocket of the server as he/she must pay taxes on 10% of the food and beverage bill. 10% of the bill is taxable income for the server.

So if you have a bill of $20 and tip nothing, assuming a 15% income tax rate, you have just stolen $0.30 from the waiter. Anything you tip over $0.30 goes to the waiter/waitress and is the actual tip they receive.

Street vendors = no tip.

The waiters have to pay income tax on the meals they serve? How very strange, only in the US!

As for tipping in Thailand, I agree with above, but I often give more, directly to the poor guys who are serving me, the cashier in 7-11 always has a smile and a friendly word for me.

• 2 weeks later...

Street vendors = no tip.

Nails it better than any other post in this thread. It is rare for Thais to tip more than a bit of loose change, as most Thais eating out fall in the first two categories, ie, 20 baht or less is the overall norm outside of restaurants where a service charge is added to the bill. Exceptions would be for large groups, where the tip might amount to 10 baht per person.

Somebody must be tipping on 'demand', otherwise the practice would not continue.

I've never been asked for a tip in Thailand and wouldn't return to any place where this was done.

For me, the biggest influence on the amount of the tip is whether the service came with a smile. It's nice to believe that people are enjoying looking after you (even if it's really just a job - which, of course, it is).

If I feel we have been looked after 'above and beyond the call...' I overtip.

One restaurant we use regularly will prepare Thai food to my taste - I can't bear fat, skin or bones, so they will take the time to remove all the above (some places say they will but then I find myself crunching on a lump of grissle). They do this with a smile, and not a hint of "stupid farang, why not go to Mc Donalds". And this is a really inexpensive place.

I think this sort of service deserves a reward and always tip 100 b, even though the check bin is rarely more than 450 b for the two of us.

I'm going to get pulled through the Coals for this but isn't tipping a USA thing because of some bizzare thing about the tips being deducted from their wages ? I dunno.

Anyway, Being asked for a tip ? No f'ing way lol, Thats just rude, I have never been asked for a tip anywhere ever and would probably just laugh if asked to leave one.

Leave a tip for someone doing what they are paid to do ? No, Where is the sense in that ?

Giving a tip where the tips end up in a big pot and get split up, NO - I'm not sharing my thanks with anyone that didnt serve me or help me.

Giving tips to an individual doing a mundane job day after day and still being able to smile and be polite, then yes (probably)

Giving tips to someone who has gone out of their way to help you, Yes.

Giving a tip to someone who had the patience to listen and help me because I'm in their Country and I'm too ignorant to learn their language, Big Yes.

Giving a tip because it's the cool thing to do ? NO, Some people in the wrong situation are offended if you offer them cash. A smile and a Thank-You is 1000% better.

Conclusion - If Asked, That's just rude, Tips should only be given in the right circumstances.

(I feel an edit coming on, I must have spelt something wrong)