Demand A Tip !

actiondell4

I think unfortunately that a lot of it may be down to the unwary American tourist who are doing as they do at home and tipping the 10 or 15% of the check bin as is expected in the US

The tip rate in the US is 15-20% or more.

Can someone explain please why a tip is expected in the US.Don't the waiters over there get a salary paid?

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think unfortunately that a lot of it may be down to the unwary American tourist who are doing as they do at home and tipping the 10 or 15% of the check bin as is expected in the US

Can someone explain please why a tip is expected in the US.Don't the waiters over there get a salary paid?

Yes, they usually get paid minimum legal wage which is not enough for most people to prevent homelessness in the US. There are no 2000 baht per month rooms in the US. It's just the custom of passing on the wage paying to the customers.

Yes, they usually get paid minimum legal wage which is not enough for most people to prevent homelessness in the US. There are no 2000 baht per month rooms in the US. It's just the custom of passing on the wage paying to the customers.

Thank you for the explanation,so what's the difference with thailand.I know there are no 2000 baht rooms but the minimum wage in US will also be I guess 15 times the thai wage.

The current U.S. Federal minimum wage is $5.85. The minimum wage for waiters and waitresses is the current minimum wage less 29.3% for tips. So do the math and decide if you could live without tips.

Edited by twschw

The current U.S. Federal minimum wage is $5.85. The minimum wage for waiters and waitresses is the current minimum wage less 29.3% for tips. So do the math and decide if you could live without tips.

And I always tought america was the promised land.

And I always tought america was the promised land.

Well, elite waiters in "hot" restaurants can make excellent money, almost all of it tips. Imagine if every table is over 100 dollars and you get at least 15 dollars a table. A US waiter would never ask for a tip, but if you don't tip you might get assaulted, and being an Aussie is no excuse.

Edited by Jingthing

I never tip.... due to my budget constraints like constant visa runs every 3 months that i have to fork over to the thai government, although if it was easier to stay in thailand, I might......

Surprising you can't get a yearly visa ? you sound just like the high-roller the Thai Gov wants ? :o

It's even worse for than that for waiters in the U.S. The total sales are tallied for each waiter/waitress at the end of each shift. It is expected that the server has received a tip of a minimum of 10%. Tips are taxable income. Thus 10% of the daily sales of servers are counted as taxable income and must be reported to the IRS. It is up to the restaurant management to handle this bookkeeping. It's crazy, but true.

Edited by way2muchcoffee

I have found the motocy taxis that deal with falang ask for tips, after charging more than the going rate for the the trip.

I went to a hairdresser in Klang a few weeks ago, was charged way over the norm for the cut and the owner said I could tip the cutter (not a hairdresser the job was not hat good) if I wanted. :o

The trick with motorcycle taxis is to know what the rate is supposed to be. Do not discuss the rate before the trip. When you get to the destination give him what you know is the correct price and walk away. Nine times out of ten nothing will be said, just a fair exchange.

Edited by way2muchcoffee

In all my years working in the UK, dedicating my attention to giving the best service, I have only once ever been given a tip (maybe I'm just rubbish at my job :D ). Now living in Thailand it seems that I'm expected to tip the whole world and his dog. If I get given any excuse to withold a tip I find my miserable self taking it. Bahh, humbug!

May I rant?

I play golf and buy cold water etc. from the kiosks on the course every 3 or 4 holes. The obligation of tipping, as my playing partners seem to, at every drink stop is begining wind me up. A girl has reached over to the fridge, handed me a bottle of water, and expects a 20 baht tip for the "great service" because that's what all the fat bloated capitalist over-rich holidaying farang golfers give them. One time, a girl gave me four 20 baht notes change, I reached back into my wallet and pulled out 5 baht and gave it to her (I don't know why, guilt/concience/not wanting to look so miserable and tight in front of colleagues I suppose). Not a whimper of a korp kuhn ka was heard, all I got was a long "hard done by" face. :o

If I ever experience ill mannered service, and asking for a tip is ill mannered, I leave a Bht2 tip. They either get the message or they do not.

Overkill! You're ruining it for the rest of us by tipping 50% more :o

When that happens to me, I tip 1 baht. Not tipping just means you're a cheap Charlie. Tipping 1 baht tells them how much their service was worth.

If we go for a meal, and the same person is serving us all night, my wife will tip them personally. I asked why, and she said if you tip with the bill, they have to share. If you give them the money, it is theirs to keep.

Same for me - if I get exceptional service from one person (or if I've been overly hard on someone in particular) I always call them over and give them a tip and tell them to put it in their pocket and NOT to share it.

Edited by onethailand

If I ever experience ill mannered service, and asking for a tip is ill mannered, I leave a Bht2 tip. They either get the message or they do not.

----

Oh and a tip to everyone.. the time to get shirty with anyone who is preparing or handling your food is after you have finished eating!

Overkill! You're ruining it for the rest of us by tipping 50% more :o

When that happens to me, I tip 1 baht. Not tipping just means you're a cheap Charlie. Tipping 1 baht tells them how much their service was worth.

I try to keep some shinny 50 Stang coins with me just for the occasional (Very Rare) shitty service. I leave 50 or 25 Stang in the book that usually gets their attention :D

Edited by Huey

I try to keep some shinny 50 Stang coins with me just for the occasional (Very Rare) shitty service. I leave 50 or 25 Stang in the book that usually gets their attention :o

Strangely enough, I always have those with me - but to be honest I think they'd just figure I overlooked the coin. People tend to ignore the brass and only notice when it's silver.

In the US, it used to be a penny - but same principle, so now I'd leave a nickel.

At where I come from, Scandinavia, I had never heard of tipping before talking to some American guys. I think it's their invention and maybe practised in some south European countries where the wages are low. I would tip for a great service though anywhere, if I intented to return some day. In Thailand it is not customary to tip at all. It's more of a face thing to be picking up 1 baht coins which is too much trouble. If I want to tip I feel coins are embarrassing and don't make the point, ususally 20 baht per person would be enough. If they bring me the change in a huge pile of coins though, trying to force me to tip or even dare to demand a tip, I consider a bad service and they get absolutely nothing.

I think the state of the economy/lack of tourists has an effect these days, causing the demands for tips. Also the tourists who over tip, usually Americans makes people think that every farang should tip.

Thais who tip, they create a new patron /client relationship, no tip is 'free' here.

For those who choose not to tip, or choose to leave a miserly 1 bt.

1) Pretty dang stingy in my opinion.

2) Consider the exceedingly low wage of service staff (200-250 bt per day)

3) If a mistake is made and an order needs replacement the full cost comes directly from the server's paycheck.

4) Taking a day off of work may result in a 3-day deduction in server wages

5) Restaurant food costs are normally, but not always, much lower than back home - so you're already getting good value for the money.

6) Server's work something like 60 hours per week - I'd be surly too

7) Server's don't have proper training and can't be expected to perform as you are accustomed.

8) What is 20 baht to you anyway? Will it break your bank?

9) Server's often deal with Westerners whose manners and behaviors aren't appropriate according to Thai culture and expectations.

10) Thai people tip as well - it's not just some hairbrained American thing.

Edited by way2muchcoffee

For those who choose not to tip, or choose to leave a miserly 1 bt.

1) Pretty dang stingy in my opinion.

Completely out of context - we're talking about demanding tips or bad service. Nearly everyone in here tips under normal circumstances.

Tipping 1 baht is not being stingy - it's making a point.

When I was a young kid used to get the coffee order on the construction job for the guys.

Everyone would always give me a "buck" for a tip.

One day a new guy showed up. He was an older steel worker.

When I brought him his coffee and sandwich he didn't tip me.

I said "hey how about a tip."

He said, "you want a tip kid, get out of the business."

I brought his coffee and sandwich the next day, again no tip.

On the third day I asked "how was your coffee yesterday buddy, light and sweet the way you like it?"

He said, "yeah that 's right."

I said "so it tasted OK?."

He gave me three bucks and a tip everyday for the rest of the time he was on that job... :o

Yes, it is making a point. It is saying I'm a cheap charlie. I don't have sympathy for the server, and I haven't yet figured out that the service was probably poor because the server had no training.

I think you are confusing "untrained" with "piss poor".

You could be right about piss-poor and untrained. There is a difference, but that difference is irrelevant.

As a teenager I worked as a waiter in a diner for a few years. I was pretty good at it. With that experience, I would never, ever, leave a 1 bt tip. It's just not right - no matter how bad the service. Piss-poor, untrained, doesn't matter. Then again, that's just my opinion - and probably the opinion of anyone else who held a similar job at some time in their life.

Word of advice: If you must leave a 1 bt tip, and that's entirely up to you, don't ever return to that restaurant. They'll piss in your soup and serve it to you with a smile.

Edited by way2muchcoffee

You could be right about piss-poor and untrained. There is a difference, but that difference is irrelevant.

As a teenager I worked as a waiter in a diner for a few years. I was pretty good at it. With that experience, I would never, ever, leave a 1 bt tip. It's just not right - no matter how bad the service. Piss-poor, untrained, doesn't matter. Then again, that's just my opinion - and probably the opinion of anyone else who held a similar job at some time in their life.

Word of advice: If you must leave a 1 bt tip, and that's entirely up to you, don't ever return to that restaurant. They'll piss in your soup and serve it to you with a smile.

Trust me, if I ever left a 1 baht tip anywhere, I would have no intention of going back :o I used to own a food operation, so I think I know the difference.

A lot of wait staff I have encountered in Thailand are untrained - but a majority of them are still friendly and polite, and they still get tips.

-------------------

Coffee? :o

My mother has been a waitress all of her life and she is the pone that taught me to leave 1 penny for a tip if the service as bad. It showed that you did not forget the tip.

As for thailand I met my wife at a thai restaurant for locals and she was paid 80 baht per day plus tips. She told me that if the tip was left with the bill the owner took half and the rest was divided among all the workers. If the tip was handed directly to her then she got to keep it.

In all my years working in the UK, dedicating my attention to giving the best service, I have only once ever been given a tip (maybe I'm just rubbish at my job :D ). Now living in Thailand it seems that I'm expected to tip the whole world and his dog. If I get given any excuse to withold a tip I find my miserable self taking it. Bahh, humbug!

May I rant?

I play golf and buy cold water etc. from the kiosks on the course every 3 or 4 holes. The obligation of tipping, as my playing partners seem to, at every drink stop is begining wind me up. A girl has reached over to the fridge, handed me a bottle of water, and expects a 20 baht tip for the "great service" because that's what all the fat bloated capitalist over-rich holidaying farang golfers give them. One time, a girl gave me four 20 baht notes change, I reached back into my wallet and pulled out 5 baht and gave it to her (I don't know why, guilt/concience/not wanting to look so miserable and tight in front of colleagues I suppose). Not a whimper of a korp kuhn ka was heard, all I got was a long "hard done by" face. :D

You made a heck of a lot more than these people do in jolly old England even without getting tips, so what are you complaining about? :o

As far as being angry about tipping someone for handing you a bottle of cold water, I don't really blame you, but I feel the same way when I patronize a business that is too expensive for my means anywhere in the world. There are plenty of places that I can not afford to go on a regular basis. Maybe you need to consider a golf course with more frugal customers. :D

I had my hair done the other day and was wondering how much to tip a beauty shop.I usually have it done back in the UK and this was just maintenence cut.MIL was with me,we tipped 200 baht,is this fine or should we have tipped more?

2000 baht is standard for hairdressers I think, or 5000 baht if they do a very good job.

Just arrrive recently did you?

Hairdressers do not get tips in Thailand

You'd get a similar reaction of shock/embarrassment/insult if you tipped the dentist.

If you want to bring your culture here it's up to you, but if you don't want people laughing at you learn the local customs.

That's not necessarily true. My former barber in Jomtien always charged me the Thai price and I always gave her a 20 baht tip. To my embarrassment, she sometime took me before Thai customers who were waiting.

You are quite right Gary. My wife has been a hairdresser for 20+ years and gratefully and graciously accepts any offered tips. She does however "chide" me on occasion if she thinks I've over tipped.

Well I spoil my Thai lady who does my haircut, facial, manicure, pedicure, scaling, shave. Spends a few hrs on me and does a stellar job, I give her 200bht. She's a gem and I have no regrets. Never asks for it and is quite humble. I reward good service and I consider her a mate. :o