One-way Flights & Problems

fw1

Hi, just a quick question.

Has anyone ever had check-in problems with a one-way ticket and no visa (other than a standard 30 day tourist visa)?

I'm English and will be returning to Thailand next month. I've always flown with a return ticket but don't plan to do so. I'll be flying with Thai Airways, and I'll be checking in at LHR. I'd be interested to hear if anyone has had problems of any kind with such a ticket.

Cheers

I just returned from Blighty on the return half of my ticket, i.e. effectively a 'one-way' ticket. At check-in my passport was checked for a current visa which they couldn't find. I pointed out my last three 1 year retirement visas but unfortunately these had been issued "in the sticks" and the local airline staff had not seen the like before. I explained that I'd been in out out of Thailand many times over the three years always on a return ticket purchased here.

They were not convinced and eventually issued me with a confirmed return booking (not a ticket) for a month later, advising that I would not need to pay anything and unless there was a problem at Don Muang immigration, the booking would be cancelled the next day.

I had no problem at immigration, anyway.

However, I was not flying Thai Airways and that may have made a difference.

Hi, just a quick question.

Has anyone ever had check-in problems with a one-way ticket and no visa (other than a standard 30 day tourist visa)?

I'm English and will be returning to Thailand next month. I've always flown with a return ticket but don't plan to do so. I'll be flying with Thai Airways, and I'll be checking in at LHR. I'd be interested to hear if anyone has had problems of any kind with such a ticket.

Cheers

The 30 day permit is not a visa, it is only a permit to enter Thailand for tourism purposes. Just get a 60 day tourist visa in the UK before you leave. That visa will solve your airline problems, and it is extendable by another 30 days in Thailand.

Hi Dr. Pat Pong, can I just check that you are speaking from experience and have entered Thailand before this way? I was planning on obtaining the 60-day visa, with the pretence of travelling through Thailand. And if it stops a problem from occuring then I will definately do so.

Thanks

I traveled back from LHR on a return part of ticket to BKK last year with 7 weeks left on my Multi entry O spouse visa. Was just in the UK for two weeks to visit the family, and was getting a year extension nearer the time that it expired from local immigration.

At Thai Air check in I was told I couldn’t fly without a return back to the UK.

Explained that I lived in Thailand with my wife and this was a return ticket issued in Thailand, but she was very reluctant to issue my boarding pass. Asked to see the supervisor and after him checking my passport, my explanation and a copy of my marriage certificate, agreed to let me fly, this time.

This year when I traveled back to London, my Thai booking agent supplied an extra ticket to Singapore 29 days after arrival in BKK just in case I encountered a similar problem. Was not charged for this, and had to return the ticket a few days after arrival.

This time flew with EVA, and no problems what so ever.

I have flown out from England for the last 4 years on the return part of a ticket bought in Thailand. I have had a 6o day tourist visa every time and had no problems. One time The check in girl did refer to her superior as I effectively only had a one way. She was told that it was ok because I had the visa but I was told that they would not have let me fly without the visa.

Most of the problems I had myself have been in LHR, although I am not blaming the staff as such. It is the biggest airport in Europe which automatically means the staff-training is a bit lower due to quantity. No problem, as long as there are supervisors on hand, who know the rules.

A basic rule in every airline computer for UK and most other major p/ports reads for Thailand:

Visa not required for a stay of max. 30 days, if holding confirmed return/onward ticket. In all other cases, visa required.

or something similar. Some staff might translate this into return/onward ticket always required, wich is just wrongly interpreted.

Thanks guys, this clarifies things greatly.

Just a question to Mike100. You said that you flew with Eva. How were they generally? They offer Enhanced Economy right? Is that so different to regular Economy? Being a bit larger than the average fellow, I would certainly appreciate the extra space.

Thanks

They offer Enhanced Economy right? Is that so different to regular Economy? Being a bit larger than the average fellow, I would certainly appreciate the extra space.

Albeit 3 years ago, I flew Eva "mid-class". The seats were virtually business class size but the excuse for food was economy class standard.

Just a question to Mike100. You said that you flew with Eva. How were they generally? They offer Enhanced Economy right? Is that so different to regular Economy? Being a bit larger than the average fellow, I would certainly appreciate the extra space.

Thanks

Fw1,

Was very impressed with the EVA Evergreen class service. Big seats with lots of legroom, but food the same as economy class and not really all that good. Also personal TV. Will definitely use Evergreen again.

Worked out at around 2,000 THB (return from BKK) more than Thai Air’s economy class at the time of travel, which I normally used. Plus an extra 5 kilo of luggage, handy for the trip back.

Have a silver club card for Thai Air and asked them if I could squeeze 30 k of luggage for the trip back, but they flatly refused. My agent then suggested EVA Evergreen, phoned them and they agreed to 30k, I think 25k is the normal allowance. The agent also showed me a seat plan and booked my choice for each way.

Lastly, the check in has separate desks for Evergreen and it was the quickest I have experienced so far, in and out.

Most of the problems I had myself have been in LHR, although I am not blaming the staff as such. It is the biggest airport in Europe which automatically means the staff-training is a bit lower due to quantity. No problem, as long as there are supervisors on hand, who know the rules.

A basic rule in every airline computer for UK and most other major p/ports reads for Thailand:

Visa not required for a stay of max. 30 days, if holding confirmed return/onward ticket. In all other cases, visa required.

or something similar. Some staff might translate this into return/onward ticket always required, wich is just wrongly interpreted.

So, what is the correct interpretation?

So, what is the correct interpretation?

A ticket out within 30 days or a visa.

I know what it is.......I was asking Axel.

What is the problem?

Either confirmed ticket out of LoS within 30 days OR a visa.

If you have a visa and still requested to show a ticket, ask for the supervisor.

I know what it is.......I was asking Axel.

What is the problem?

Either confirmed ticket out of LoS within 30 days OR a visa.

If you have a visa and still requested to show a ticket, ask for the supervisor.

He has 48 hours off Axel. Most posters complain about him. His next holiday is permanent.