Whats That?

pokoal2000

mitmig recommends a good website for birders in this thread in the Pets forum--if you are interested learning more about birds in thailand there are some very good bird books recommended in that thread as well.

Birds of Thailand website

It’s a Greater Coucal, Centropus sinensis, but it’s not a Ground-Cuckoo.

Cuckoos are Cuculidae and divided into 4 Groups:

Parasitic Cuckoos – Clamator, Cuculus, Cacomantis, Chrysococcyx, Surniculus and Eurdynamys

Malkoas – Phaenicophaeus

Ground-Cuckoos – Carpococcyx

Coucals – Centropus

I am sure the above information will be of interest to many Members!

:o

Patrick

:o Hmm ...ok then Patrick, how can we be sure it's a greater rather than a lesser or even short toed coucal from that pic?

The Short Toed Coucal is found only in the extreme South of Thailand.

However you are correct in implying that the Greater and the Lesser Coucal look very similar, and there is nothing in the picture to give an indication of size (a main identifying aid - the Greater Coucal is around 23 inches in overall length, the Lesser only 15) however I am basing my identification on the Red eyes and Black bill, typical of the Greater Coucal - the eyes of the Lesser Coucal are Brown and the bill is a lighter colour.

post-6651-1209009004.jpg

Patrick

Thanks for the informative answer :D I was trying to be a little provocative with my post, no disrespect intended.

I've only seen the Greater up here. I used to have lots of them visiting my land and they would pay very little attention to me allowing me to get within a couple of feet or so without spooking them. Sadly, they've now all disappeared since the surrounding plots were cleared :o