Life In The Uk Test

and i didn't know that was the case in Scotland.

If you read the book Mr Boj then you would, I think that is the point.

Moss

No Moss, my point is, if a <deleted> UK born and bred person isn't aware of such things, then why on earth does it need to in a test.

I'm well aware that if i read the book, i will be all knowing and fountain of useless dribble but that isn't the point i am trying to make. :o

I think Moss' point is valid; i.e. if such a test exists, and the requirements are defined, then where's the problem? It doesn't matter if the answers are either "right" or "wrong"; they are pre-defined, and reading those chapters of the book will provide the "right" answers.

Of course it's all a crock of sh1t, but, as long as it lasts, that's what we have to live with: Moss' wife has passed it, my wife has passed it, and it's not too onerous.

Scouse.

No Moss, my point is, if a <deleted> UK born and bred person isn't aware of such things, then why on earth does it need to in a test.

I'm well aware that if i read the book, i will be all knowing and fountain of useless dribble but that isn't the point i am trying to make. :D

I am not entirely sure of the point you are trying to make, except that the questions are a crock of horse hockey and you will get little contradiction from me.

But we do have to face an unforgiving hurdle, we can't have all things our way. We cannot (and I am not singling out anybody, including myself here), complain about rampant and uncontrolled immigration and then rage against regimes that are there to try and control the immigration that is such a bone of contention in certain areas of the populace.

If people, who agreed, have what we consider a legitimate right of abode in the country of their spouse, then what is the problem of undertaking a test that could/should enable better access to the community and better integration into the country. The alternative is groups of ethnic migrants forming ghettoes and little kingdoms and the indigenous peoples getting more and more agitated and xenophobic.

Over-reaction? When looked in singularity, possibly, when looked at globally, I really do not think so.

We'll agree to disagree then boys. :D

I think this might be best :o

I think Moss' point is valid;

As I feel this is the first time Scouse has ever agreed with anything I have said on the Forum :D

Moss

As I feel this is the first time Scouse has ever agreed with anything I have said on the Forum :o

I was drunk. :D

Scouse.

:D

But the test is still a crock of shit though. :D

I'm well aware that if i read the book, i will be all knowing and fountain of useless dribble but that isn't the point i am trying to make. :o

I am not entirely sure of the point you are trying to make, except that the questions are a crock of horse hockey and you will get little contradiction from me.

OK. I will try to explain my stance then. I truly believe that there should be a test for all people wanting to reside in this country and ultimately gain UK citizenship.

However, i feel the test should at least be relevant to Life In The UK and to have a reasonable level of the English language for a non-native english speaker.

Currently the applicant has to have a pretty high standard of reading and writing ability to pass the test. Not a problem if a native english speaker but a big problem if they aren't (could you learn that level of Thai in 2 years of study?). This means that many of them have to spend much of their time in schools and colleges and thus not allowing them to go out and get work. This can put a big strain, financially, on many families. What is wrong with having an oral exam after the initial 2 years and a reading / writing exam to gain citizenship ?

I won't rant and rave (again) about this stupid test but question's like this get om my nerves:-

Where do you normally go first if you wish to buy a house in Scotland?

Solicitor

Estate Agent

Building Society

Local Bank

The correct answer (for the test) is Solicitor. What a load of <deleted>. Do Solicitor's in Scotland keep detailed information on houses that are for sale? Or do you go to an Estate Agent first, to see what is on the market. The question is totally mis-leading. It should be something like:- Once you have found a house to buy, where do you normally go first, if you wish to buy a house in Scotland?

Edit- P.S. thanks for the link mariner :o

Maybe you should look into buying a house in Scotland before you complain about the test.

Solicitor's in Scotland (that are involved in housebuying), at least where I lived, DO keep detailed information on houses that are for sale. I don't remember ever seeing an Estate Agent-like premises in Scotland that wasn't actually a solicitors.

They even have a thing called the "solicitor's property centre" which has details for houses for sale through all the solicitors in the area.

Maybe it's to do with an offer in Scotland being legally binding, unlike the sassenach practice of gazumping (in a rising market), and gazundering (in a falling market).

Oki doki, i thought i would look into this and even the Test answers can't agree with the Scottish Government own guidelines.

A guide to house buying in Scotland from http://www.scotland.gov.uk/Resource/Doc/158820/0043125.pdf

Extracts in Red from page 5:-

"You can find properties advertised in Newspapers, Solicitors Properties Centres, estate agents and on the internet. Newly-built properties are often advertised directly by the builder or the Estate Agent acting for the builder"

"Once you have found a property that meets your needs, you will require a Solicitor to do your legal work in making an offer"

So, you have already found the property by any of the means above and then you approach a Solicitor !!

My point is, the actual question in the test is farcical because if you ticked Estate Agent, it would be wrong. Yet in reality, it isn't, it could be either. It's more like a trick question. Is that fair to try and trick a non-native english speaker ?

Edited by mrbojangles

I will agree that it's stupid having Scottish-only questions if you live in Bristol. In the same way that it's stupid to have English-only questions if you're living in Aberdeen.

The whole test is lunacy as it's basically testing people's ability to remember inane facts like the size of the cabinet. Unless you're running for Parliament, nobody cares.

As I feel this is the first time Scouse has ever agreed with anything I have said on the Forum :o

Oki doki, i thought i would look into this and even the Test answers can't agree with the Scottish Government own guidelines.

A guide to house buying in Scotland from http://www.scotland.gov.uk/Resource/Doc/158820/0043125.pdf

Extracts in Red from page 5:-

"You can find properties advertised in Newspapers, Solicitors Properties Centres, estate agents and on the internet. Newly-built properties are often advertised directly by the builder or the Estate Agent acting for the builder"

"Once you have found a property that meets your needs, you will require a Solicitor to do your legal work in making an offer"

So, you have already found the property by any of the means above and then you approach a Solicitor !!

My point is, the actual question in the test is farcical because if you ticked Estate Agent, it would be wrong. Yet in reality, it isn't, it could be either. It's more like a trick question. Is that fair to try and trick a non-native english speaker ?

You really don't want me to say, 'that if you read the book', the correct answer would have been highlighted, do you, so I wont :D

I will agree that it's stupid having Scottish-only questions if you live in Bristol. In the same way that it's stupid to have English-only questions if you're living in Aberdeen.

The whole test is lunacy as it's basically testing people's ability to remember inane facts like the size of the cabinet. Unless you're running for Parliament, nobody cares.

This is not the point.

Moss

Right, there is 55 tests on that site, with 24 questions to each test, thats 1320 questions.

If my wife was to know every answer to each of the 1320 questions, would she pass the Life in Uk test?

What I meen is, in the real test there is 24 questions, are all the questions and answers covered in the 1320? or is it possible there could be some questions which are not covered in the 1320?

We are studying the book too, my wife now understands chapter 2, and I have covered every possible question and answer out of chapter 2, she has got them all right.

Its just with this site, my wife finds it easier, and if the real Life in Uk test questions are jumbled up in the 1320, then the Mrs would find it alot easier to learn this way.

Many thanks

Scotty.

The point is that the whole thing is ill-conceived and pointless, but it is something with which we have to live until such a time as it changes.

The questions of the official test are based on the applicable chapters of the official book. Consequently, all one needs to do is learn the applicable chapters. It doesn't matter whether the information is right or wrong: simply whether the person who is sitting the test has learnt the "facts" (correct or otherwise) contained in the book.

Once the test has been passed, then one may no longer give a monkey's toss who sells houses in Scotland.

Scouse.

OK. I will try to explain my stance then. I truly believe that there should be a test for all people wanting to reside in this country and ultimately gain UK citizenship.

In the context of settlement cases, and let's be candid these are what preoccupy most on this forum, surely the only meaningful test, in addition to the financial consideration, is that of the relationship itself?

How could any other test possibly have any relevance save as a sop to some addled pseudo social policy developed by superannuated civil servants oblivious to anything beyond blind loyalty to their masters?

Grateful to hear your argument as to why you should 'truly believe'.......

My wife found this a very good way of learning about this country.And i totally agree with this test too many people just sat around not bothering to grasp our culture yet we welcome all cultures.

Just an opinion.

You really don't want me to say, 'that if you read the book', the correct answer would have been highlighted, do you, so I wont :o

That's the point Moss, it doesn't give the 'correct' answer in the book.

But my point was, 'what is the correct answer in the book', not what is the actual correct answer in this parallel universe, anyway I have lost the will to live :D

Right, there is 55 tests on that site, with 24 questions to each test, thats 1320 questions.

If my wife was to know every answer to each of the 1320 questions, would she pass the Life in Uk test?

What I meen is, in the real test there is 24 questions, are all the questions and answers covered in the 1320? or is it possible there could be some questions which are not covered in the 1320?

We are studying the book too, my wife now understands chapter 2, and I have covered every possible question and answer out of chapter 2, she has got them all right.

Its just with this site, my wife finds it easier, and if the real Life in Uk test questions are jumbled up in the 1320, then the Mrs would find it alot easier to learn this way.

Many thanks

Scotty.

Scotty, do you take on board what I and others have said before? With the amount of questions on the internet, there has obviously got to be an overlap, so if you read them all, then you will get a good knowledge, but if they are not official what is to say they are correct.

The ones I looked at are littered with grammatical and spelling mistakes, the only sure way is to read the book and revise it, you have already stated that the Other Half is some way there and you have time on your side.

But I am again losing the will to live :D

How could any other test possibly have any relevance save as a sop to some addled pseudo social policy developed by superannuated civil servants oblivious to anything beyond blind loyalty to their masters?

Quote of the day :D

Moss

My wife studied pages 1-10 when she got 24/24 she moved onto 10-20 & so on.What she found was this was the easiest way she then said right im ready to take the test.

So off we went to Hull she came out after 30 mins i asked her was it the same format ? And she advised me yes a few tricky ones but i think maybe i passed. And she duly did use the version i have posted or not but thats now 2 people who i have given it to they passed as well.

Up to you your holiday :o

In the context of settlement cases, and let's be candid these are what preoccupy most on this forum, surely the only meaningful test, in addition to the financial consideration, is that of the relationship itself?

The idea is to prevent the maintenance of largely unassimilated communities of Pakis[tanis]. It's not aimed at people marrying into the assimilated communities, but at spouses brought over from the Indian subcontinent. There's no way the government would dare make that explicit. They're therefore trying to force such spouses to learn something about the UK.

I don't know how much jobs for the boys is part of the plan, as opposed to a convenient spin-off.

-------

One thing that bothers me about multiple choice questions is that they don't seem to achieve the aim, which is to force people to read and understand the basic text. Instead, people are learning the answers to the individual questions. My wife passed the theory part of the driving test without actually reading the Highway Code - not a reassuring thought.

Edited by the scouser
"Pakistanis" inserted.

Because 'i truly believe' that if someone wants to take up citizenship in a particular country, they should at least be able to speak, read and write in the language of that country.

You really don't want me to say, 'that if you read the book', the correct answer would have been highlighted, do you, so I wont :D

That's the point Moss, it doesn't give the 'correct' answer in the book.

But my point was, 'what is the correct answer in the book', not what is the actual correct answer in this parallel universe, anyway I have lost the will to live :D

Well that's <deleted> barmy and i honestly can't believe that you (seem) to condone it.

At school, we all learn from books, believing the contents to be true and we take that learning forward, ultimately taking GCSE's etc on what we have learned. Why should this be any different?

I've lost the will also :o

My husband recenlty took & passed this test but he studied online daily for a couple of weeks & has been reading the book on & off since last year so felt confident enough but when he got to the test centre the tests were totally different format to what he had been studying so he found it confusing to say the least.

An example from the book & website he was using;

Who is the patron saint of England

a)St George

b)St Andrew

c)St David

d)St Patrick

Actual test quesiton;

St George is the patron Saint of England

True

False

To a native speaker this isn't so bad but to someone who isn't it can be disarming to have a toally different test format.

He said every single question was either a true or false or only 50/50 choice rathtr than the multiple choice that is on most questiond in the book & that the quesitosn were phrased in a totally different way!!!

Not really fair imo, luckily he is a fluent reader & writer so managed to get his head around it but for someone not so proficient I can see there could be confusion.

Well that's <deleted> barmy and i honestly can't believe that you (seem) to condone it.

I have never said that I condone it, I am just of the opinion the system has got to be played with the information that is known to you at that particular time.

You have to fight the battles you can win, fighting lost causes is a waste of time and energy, so just concentrate on the battles that can be won.

Moss

I have never said that I condone it, I am just of the opinion the system has got to be played with the information that is known to you at that particular time.

Sorry then :o

You have to fight the battles you can win, fighting lost causes is a waste of time and energy, so just concentrate on the battles that can be won.

I did fight the battle Mossy and won. Remember, i'm Oirish now and she got a visa as a spouse of an EU citizen...gratis, free, without cost, up yours Croydon :D

Sorry then :D

I did fight the battle Mossy and won. Remember, i'm Oirish now and she got a visa as a spouse of an EU citizen...gratis, free, without cost, up yours Croydon :D

No worries :D

Yes I know, which is an example of my above philosophy, if you can't beat them, circumvent them :o

Moss

I won't rant and rave (again) about this stupid test but question's like this get om my nerves:-

Solicitor

Estate Agent

Building Society

Local Bank

The correct answer (for the test) is Solicitor. What a load of <deleted>. Do Solicitor's in Scotland keep detailed information on houses that are for sale? Or do you go to an Estate Agent first, to see what is on the market. The question is totally mis-leading. It should be something like:- Once you have found a house to buy, where do you normally go first, if you wish to buy a house in Scotland?

Scotland is still different in that solicitors also act as estate agents

Solicitor

Estate Agent

Building Society

Local Bank

Scotland is still different in that solicitors also act as estate agents

Please read post 38 :D