Help, Very Worry, They Stop Me At Airport!

My current PP is a little over half full (half empty), with the first 18 pages alone being filled with Cambo Visas and Thai/Cambo entry/departure stamps. Made a lot of 30 day border runs before they started (re)enforcing the 90/180 rule (which happened just after I went back to work). Was never questioned about all the stamps/visas, never asked for proof of an onward ticket, or for proof of sufficient funds.

When I show up at the Immigration counter, I make sure the TM card is on the page with the latest entry/exit stamp (not always the last used page). Even when there's a line-up, I make sure I have a happy demeanor and greet the Immigration officer politely (helps to be clean, sober and not looking like you've spent the last night drinking until you've puked and then show up at the airport).

Immigration officers (like Customs officers) are (supposedly) trained to look for little "tell-tales", signs that something may be out of the ordinary. People acting nervously when asked standard questions, shifting/nervous glances, profuse sweating (despite being in an air-conditioned environment for some time before arriving at the Immigration/Customs area).

Little signs like that tell the officer that the person in front of them may be hiding something, and may warrant further checking. Quite often, when someone is caught smuggling, the officials note that the person was acting in a nervous manner which aroused the suspicion of the (Immigration/Customs) officer(s).

Some people are naturally nervous, especially in the presence of an "authority" figure. Perhaps this was the case with the OP and it was noticed by the Immigration officer. A few questions and a photo later he was on his way. No big deal really.

If I see someone being taken to one of the little "back" offices, I generally assume it's an overstay issue, not a criminal matter. Having had to do that a couple times myself (30 day visa and 32 day holiday), I take it in stride (and make sure I have enough to cover the fine). :o

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...we even smile our sweetest...

I believe you are not allowed to smile nowadays for an immigration photograph. Something to do with the face recognition software.

--

Maestro

I know you're joking. Even when the cameras work I'll bet the facial recognition software (if it's really here) doesn't work. I came it yesterday and the officer took a picture of my grinning face. He started laughing and I was out.

Thailand has found quite a few criminals that have been wanted in other countries. Some them come to mine was the

Russian arm dealer

The woman who robbed many banks in the USA

All were using a phony passport but were arrested later; I know they have had other cases of people wanted. One of the American Embassy staff told me” People that are wanted in the World are not aware that the software Immigration uses is very good. It was developed in the Stares and goes to all the intelligence agencies. Your retinal/ iris scan is like a fingerprint.” So it’s not just a pretty picture for your vacation is why Thai Immigration wants your photo.

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com

To Sunbelt:

Sorry I have to disagree: There is no chance that the cheap USB Cameras one can see in immigration offices and borders have a chance to record fine detail like the Retina. It needs much different, more sophisticated equipment than that.

Sunny

It is very unusual for an immigration officer to question a visitor’s motive for staying in Thailand upon his departure. Never heard of this before.

--

Maestro

I think they are trying to weed all french out of thailand...

To Sunbelt:

Sorry I have to disagree: There is no chance that the cheap USB Cameras one can see in immigration offices and borders have a chance to record fine detail like the Retina. It needs much different, more sophisticated equipment than that.

Sunny

Not sure as I'm just repeating what I heard from one of the staff members. As I was on the other side of the Embassy maybe its just a face feature scan instead of a retinal/ iris scan.

However it made sense to me as they want you to look at the red spot in the camera and how else did they catch these people wanted? They use this same camera in the USA for visitors.

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com

To Sunbelt:

Sunny

Not sure as I'm just repeating what I heard from one of the staff members. As I was on the other side of the Embassy maybe its just a face feature scan instead of a retinal/ iris scan.

However it made sense to me as they want you to look at the red spot in the camera and how else did they catch these people wanted? They use this same camera in the USA for visitors.

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com

I think people are getting 2 different systems mixed up here.

One is a standard digital camera, which takes pictures that can later be examined using biometric software. This will measure things like the size and distance between various facial features. Remember the picture of Chris Neil that was on the news ? (not the digitally corrected pedo pic, but the one taken by the camera at the Immigration counter at Swampy) You would never get a retinal image from that picture, but biometric software would (probably) be able to at least narrow down the list of possibilities.

For this kind of software to be most effective, they (generally) prefer you don't smile (show teeth) as it alters the dimensions of your face, which could result in a misidentification.

Retinal Scans require you to place your eye "up close and personal" to the scanner which then takes a digital image of your retina. They use this system at the Shar Jah airport in the UAE (but not at the Dubai airport). After that, the software works similar to fingerprint software to automatically register and compare the features of your retina.

With either system, it would (will) require a massive database to store all the images, and some very heavy duty computing capability to be able to compare every (incoming) image with those that may be on the "flagged" list. Not to mention if the database(s) are linked to others (like the FBI or Interpol).

thanks cobra! :o

but really, why cant we smile at photos such as these? do smiles really change facial features, as compared if you frown or just stare blankly like they want?

you see, it just occurred to me that it is really unfair when we cannot give our most pleasing faces on these type of photo-taking... suppose, you got into a problem, say a bit of a crime (minor, something not proven yet, etc)... then they publish your awful looking picture on the papers... isn't that so unfair indeed? you get to be the bad guy at once just by looking at your picture....LOL...

and i still maintain, it is your face that will appear, not theirs. we're doing them a favor right by participating on these stuffs..

LOL....dont take this so seriously. i dont know anything about those stuffs..... :D

thanks cobra! :o

but really, why cant we smile at photos such as these? do smiles really change facial features, as compared if you frown or just stare blankly like they want?

you see, it just occurred to me that it is really unfair when we cannot give our most pleasing faces on these type of photo-taking... suppose, you got into a problem, say a bit of a crime (minor, something not proven yet, etc)... then they publish your awful looking picture on the papers... isn't that so unfair indeed? you get to be the bad guy at once just by looking at your picture....LOL...

and i still maintain, it is your face that will appear, not theirs. we're doing them a favor right by participating on these stuffs..

LOL....dont take this so seriously. i dont know anything about those stuffs..... :D

Glad you added that last line there. :D

If you look at the post I made right above yours, you'll see why they don't want you to smile. (And we are not "doing them a favour by participating". That would mean it was a voluntary procedure, when in fact it is a requirement, at least in those places that actually use it).

Be glad. If the system works the way it is supposed to, it will help weed out various "unwanted" types, and make your travel(s)/trip(s) even safer (unless of course, you are one of the people they happen to be looking for !) :D

FFIW, for the first time in the past year, Thai immigration now even interview Thai nationals (albeit on entry). For most of my life no words were ever exchanged when they were swiping passports. Now, more often than not I get asked about where I've been, where I live in Thailand and one or two other questions.

Would appear then that there has been some sort of active training going on to question passangers.

Just as an aside to the misguided post by Sunbelt;

"Thailand has found quite a few criminals that have been wanted in other countries. Some them come to mine was the;

Russian arm dealer

The woman who robbed many banks in the USA."

It is NOT thailand that is 'finding' these criminals by any stretch of the imagination. It is Interpol and other countries governmental agencies cooperating with and notifying thailand they suspect this person may have entered the glorious "Land 'O Thais". Of course jurisdiction being what it is here, they can hardly pull off a ‘snatch and grab’ on thai soil so they let the thais get the credit for the 'capture'.

There is NO retinal scanning system in this country in current operation. I doubt seriously if there is any facial recognition software being used by the thais. I believe they are only compiling a database, and perhaps sharing it with relevant agencies worldwide.

Usually Sunbelt is spot on or at least a little closer to the mark with their observations, but this one fell quite short.

To the OP's perceived plight, suck it up. This is the glorious "Land 'O Thais"; their rules, and they can question anyone coming or going. It seems other than the inconvenience of time, and the valid questions they asked, that you weren’t subjected to any inquisition-like grilling.

Yeah, why would anyone in Thailand be looking for an American bank robber unless they were linked to the US and A. This is just a routine search which is done most certainly on hotel and guesthouse guestlists in main tourist areas like Khao San where the bank robber was staying.

I'd just to add my recent experience at Swampyboom. I have a retirement extension to a 1 year Non-O with multiple entry permit. I came back from Manila a week ago, and after ages in the queue I finally gave my papers to the Immigration guy, who looked really distracted and was joking with his mate on the counter beside him. Still joking with his pal, he asked me if the photo in the passport was me? It was only taken 5 years ago, but since then I have stopped wearing glasses (had cataract surgery), stopped wearing a suit (live in Pattaya), and got a sun tan and a smile on my face (living in NE Scotland before, no sun tan and little to smile about). I joked with him that I hoped I looked better now than I did when the photo was taken, but his attention still seemed to be on joshing with hid buddy. Then he asked me, "You have business here?". Well, the retirement extension, which I assume he looked at, is clearly stamped "RETIREMENT", so I assumed that this was just a weak attempt to catch me out (and no, I don't work or have a business here). I told him with a smile, no, I am retired and live in Jomtien. He stamped me in and that was the end of it.

Perhaps I am just being a wee bit paranoid, but maybe they are training their staff, or at least telling them to be more testing towards farangs with a lot of Thai stamps in their passports, even if they are completely legitimate stamps. Not very exciting, I know, but I thought it may be worth posting this just to warn others to be careful what you say at Immigration.