Sodum Nitrate; Salt For Curing Bacon Etc.

If you mean sodium niTRITE (โซเดียม ไนไตรท์ ) , in thai we call it as Din Prasiew ( ดินประสิว)

There are some TV members who make ham and bacon. You may PM them and ask ( mpdkorat and cheekyfarang)

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=156447

I think you can buy Din Prasiew from local market or chinese herb store. and other places in the thread above

Hi,

be very careful with this !!

SN is NOT curing salt !!

A curing salt is a mixture of normal salt + SN (a very very small amount) and usually sugar and all ready mixed

I would not recommend any none professional to use SN, but, if you have to, rather buy ready mixed curing salt.

2 Gr of SN will kill an average adult. You need a very expensive and highly accurate professional scale since the proportions of SN in curing salts are miniscule which is especially a problem if you try to make small batches.

I must say that I find how easy it is to buy this highly dangerous material highly irresponsible!

Also, home curing may have some negative health effects. Its by law, that in the US and Europe, Sodium Erythorbate has to be used as well during curing - Sodium erythorbate as an antioxidant also helps to stop the formation of carcinogenic nitrosamines. Its E number is E316. SE has made cured products a lot safer for the consumer compared to the old style curing.

In my kitchen, I'm the only one who mixes our curing salt, no one else has access to NS wich is stored safely under lock and key.

John

Hi,

be very careful with this !!

SN is NOT curing salt !!

A curing salt is a mixture of normal salt + SN (a very very small amount) and usually sugar and all ready mixed

I would not recommend any none professional to use SN, but, if you have to, rather buy ready mixed curing salt.

2 Gr of SN will kill an average adult. You need a very expensive and highly accurate professional scale since the proportions of SN in curing salts are miniscule which is especially a problem if you try to make small batches.

I must say that I find how easy it is to buy this highly dangerous material highly irresponsible!

Also, home curing may have some negative health effects. Its by law, that in the US and Europe, Sodium Erythorbate has to be used as well during curing - Sodium erythorbate as an antioxidant also helps to stop the formation of carcinogenic nitrosamines. Its E number is E316. SE has made cured products a lot safer for the consumer compared to the old style curing.

In my kitchen, I'm the only one who mixes our curing salt, no one else has access to NS wich is stored safely under lock and key.

John

maximum allowed quantity in continental Europe is 0.5% of total curing salt amount!

Hi Naan,

as a rough guide that's correct. But if someone takes pure NS to be curing salt and uses it as such the results would be lethal -

Again SN is NOT curing salt but only a part of curing salt - the one that does the actual curing - a very small amount is mixed with normal salt - and if you want to make a KG of curing salt you use between 3-5Gr -

The curing salt itself is again mixed with normal salt according to the formula if meat is to be injected - or if sausages require curing salt ..... for sausages that are fermented like salamy one can use a higher dose because the fermentation process transforms the nitrites .....

As a general rule, for hobby users SN is NOT recommended and a ready mix curing salt should be used carefully according to the formula. Also there is a difference between Sodium Nitrite and Sodium Nitrate .... but that would end in a chemical lesson ... to go into but it shows how easy the home curer can get mixed up, especially here, without advice by competent sales staff.....

Also, as stated before Sodium Erythorbate should be used, also with the ready mixe version of curing salt !

John