International Adsl Speed

maikee

I just started reading on this Internet, computers, software forum of Thaivisa yesterday and I gather that with some of the ADSL service providers, the International speeds leave a bit to be desired.

I was just out in Thailand this past week and got a price sheet from my gal's cousin who works for the telephone company. I saw 4 or 5 different service providers with widely varying prices on the personal plans (i.e. not for business, 1 computer only).

From your experience, which service provider provides the best international speeds during normal office hours? Cost isn't a huge issue and I'd really like to have 512k upload/download international.

I'll be coming out on a permanent basis in December and would like to collect all the information I can before making a choice.

cheers,

maikee

I was hoping that you might have had some replies as I am in the same boat as you and looking for info on this subject.

There have been threads on this subject, but it can be hard to piece it together, so I thought I'd help by posting and bringing this to the top of the list again!

Fingers crossed that some nice, helpful, knowledgeable people might respond.

KB

ADSL is rather new so people have not had chance to test and compare the different services. The TRUE ADSL is the most common and is ok, but far slower than advertised. Loxinfo seems well respected. It's all pretty useless here and you will end up being grateful for what you can get. TRUE offer a guarenteed high speed for users who pay 25 Baht per hour extra.

Contrary to popular belief the international bandwith is quite sufficient at the moment. (apart from it not being very reliable due to CAT's silly technicians).

The issue at hand is how much bandwith the ISP is willing to allocate you.

That is the main reason of the price differences in the packages those isp's offer. The cheap ones put up to 50 customers on 2 mbps international bandwith, which means your speed can vary from anywhere between lightning fast and modemslow depending on how heavy the 50 others are using the internet (e.g. only surfing, or trying to download divx movies of 700mb)

Best example is True, which gives you the option of having the full available speed allocated to you only for an additional 25 Baht/hour. People have posted that this does indeed works lightning fast!

Another example is the sattelite access available in Thailand. The 256/56 iptv I had gave me 95% of the time 256kbps or more! This was dedicated bandwith for me alone, which they could give me as I paid per Mb downloaded anyway. No financial risk for them. It seems slower surfing compared with adsl, but this is only because of delays ineherrent to sattelite systems. Big downloads were consistently very fast.

Therefore the whole thing is just a case of how much you want to pay for it!

128/128 mbps dedicated line (either adsl or leased line) from KSC will set you back a cool 13900 baht/month.

Mr Happy,

True(which is represented on the map as Asia Info net) might be overselling it's own bandwith, but not Thailands bandwith.

Total available bandwith into Thailand is 2296.87 Mbps of which True can only use 646Mbps. The remaining 1650Mbps stays available to the other isp's!

They do have the biggest chunk as a single isp, but they have the most broadband subscribers as well.

Second inline would be Loxinfo using a maximum of 200Mbps of this international bandwith...

Mr Happy,

True(which is represented on the map as Asia Info net) might be overselling it's own bandwith, but not Thailands bandwith.

Total available bandwith into Thailand is 2296.87 Mbps of which True can only use 646Mbps. The remaining 1650Mbps stays available to the other isp's!

They do have the biggest chunk as a single isp, but they have the most broadband subscribers as well.

Second inline would be Loxinfo using a maximum of 200Mbps of this international bandwith...

Believe that 646 figure is old as this is the current Asianet status:

No Inter Link Speed Type Destination Status

1 DACOM 45 Mbps Fiber KOREA up

2 IIG PNC2 858 Mbps Fiber Thailand up

3 NTT Link1 2 Mbps Fiber JAPAN up

4 NTT Link2 2 Mbps Fiber JAPAN up

total  907 Mbps

No Domestic Link Speed Type Destination Status

1 NIX LINK1 100 Mbps Fiber Thailand up

2 NIX LINK2 100 Mbps Fiber Thailand up

3 NIX LINK3 1000 Mbps Fiber Thailand up

4 NIX LINK4 (True) 1000 Mbps Fiber Thailand up

total    2.2 Gbps

Contrary to popular belief the international bandwith is quite sufficient at the moment. (apart from it not being very reliable due to CAT's silly technicians).

The issue at hand is how much bandwith the ISP is willing to allocate you.

That is the main reason of the price differences in the packages those isp's offer. The cheap ones put up to 50 customers on 2 mbps international bandwith, which means your speed can vary from anywhere between lightning fast and modemslow depending on how heavy the 50 others are using the internet (e.g. only surfing, or trying to download divx movies of 700mb)

Best example is True, which gives you the option of having the full available speed allocated to you only for an additional 25 Baht/hour. People have posted that this does indeed works lightning fast!

Another example is the sattelite access available in Thailand. The 256/56 iptv I had gave me 95% of the time 256kbps or more! This was dedicated bandwith for me alone, which they could give me as I paid per Mb downloaded anyway. No financial risk for them. It seems slower surfing compared with adsl, but this is only because of delays ineherrent to sattelite systems. Big downloads were consistently very fast.

Therefore the whole thing is just a case of how much you want to pay for it!

128/128 mbps dedicated line (either adsl or leased line) from KSC will set you back a cool 13900 baht/month.

Thanks for the info everyone. At least I have more information to use when selecting an adsl package.

cheers,

maikee

My friend using Jasmine DSL service and it's look good and reliable, however the price is high-about 6000 baht per month for unlimited package. True is shit, I installed it in another friend house, the biggest problem is not the slow speed, but the unstable status of service. The line speed jumping in peaks and come to 0 every few seconds/munites. I'm talking about upload, download is a bit better. The quality of service will depens on your location in BKK mainly from what I understood. To be more far than 1.5-2 km from the local phone hub=forget about good speed with dsl whatever isp/package u purchase.