Buying A Condo

I am buying an one year old condo.

Do I need an attorney for the transaction?

Or can I just go to the government agency and register myself?

Thanks in advance for your input.

You don't need an attorney, but you should have someone who you can trust and who knows the documentation-intensive process. I am presently in the process of selling and of buying. I have not in the past and do not plan to hire an attorney. But you should have someone to assist you in verifying documents, assembling documents, etc. As an alternative to a lawyer, a real estate agent might be helpful. For my sale, I am using the staff in the management office of the condo I am selling because I have known them for years and because they have access to most of the documents I need to provide to the buyer, and they are assisted by my PA. For my purchase, I am using my PA.

A PA is a posh secretary (personal assistant).

I have just sold one yesterday, and didn't use a lawyer, but I did each time when I bought. I think as a buyer you are much more vulnerable to getting ripped off, whereas as a seller, as long as you get your money then you are happy.

The process is surprisingly easy, and was surprisingly quick (about 20 mins to process the sale).