Forbidden Kingdom

HowardJohnson

And...the answer is no. Sometimes I go see Thai language films at the Royal Garden because

they usually have English subtitles, and if nothing else, you learn some new swear words. :o

This one is Thai dubbed only but since it's such an action-centered film it was still really good,

Jet Li and Jackie Chan aren't known for lengthy dialogue anyway. Also 70-80 baht at the garden.

I am pissed of at this as well.

wanke_rs!!!!

In the TV display at the entrance to Big C cinema they have the short version and it is in English with Thai subtiltles.

On asking if they will have it in English I got a no and an attitude as if there was something wrong with my question.

I can't believe that the amount of "Who Har" that went on with this movie it won't be shown in English.

wanke_rs!!!

Guest Reimar

May you guys who complaining about the Language forget one thing: this is Thailand and the official Language is Thai while English is just one of the foreign languages after Thai, Chinese (Mandarin) and others!

If your home language isn't English, you expect that all Movies, which are not produced in you Home Country, are showed in the native language of that Country where the movie was produced?

Think about it before complaining.

Cheers.

The point is that this is an English language movie and, very unusually, has been dubbed in Thai whereas most English language movies, as I am sure you know, have Thai subtitles.

Also, I believe that it is available in BKK and other areas of Thailand with an English soundtrack - so, why not Pattaya - given its huge expat and tourist population?

Not to worry, I shall just buy a DVD for 100 Baht...

Guest Reimar

Most of the English Movies are syncronize to Thai Language already. And why the Thai People should read the Subtitel if they can have the Movies in their language. Thais in Thailand are the Majority and Foreigners are a minority!

Cheers.

I do not agree. "Most" English language movies shown here have Thai subtitles and are not dubbed.

Also, have you been to the Major cinema in Pattaya? Foreigners certainly are not the minority customers.

Get off your high horse.

I agree with you H/J.

They have had plenty of other movies in English and dubed in Thai playing at different times. Why not this one.

It is advertised on the foyer preview TV in English???

Is it just the Thai's phobias and stuberness again?

You are also right about the amount of Farang that goes to Pattaya's cinemas.

I was there yesterday and at least half where Farang.

May you guys who complaining about the Language forget one thing: this is Thailand and the official Language is Thai while English is just one of the foreign languages after Thai, Chinese (Mandarin) and others!

If your home language isn't English, you expect that all Movies, which are not produced in you Home Country, are showed in the native language of that Country where the movie was produced?

Cheers.

Has anyone actually complained yet??????

Cheers.

I was in BKK last week and saw it at the Emporium in English. Cant understand why it isnt in English here

Most of the English Movies are syncronize to Thai Language already. And why the Thai People should read the Subtitel if they can have the Movies in their language. Thais in Thailand are the Majority and Foreigners are a minority!

Cheers.

Educational reasons; English is learned 'play'-wise.

I'm happy that movies are subtitled and not synchronized in my own country. Even people without any foreign language education can now speak quite a bit of English because of the subtitle system !

In Germany and France, for instance, most foreign movies are synchronized and that's a disadvantage, learning English; also it's silly to hear famous actors speak in another language. Plain silly :D

For Thai it would be a great help to hear the actors speak in original American/Australian or English/English with subtitles; they'll learn fast.

But, it's something which was decided (in Europe) by the governments...they knew what was best for their citizens... :o I reckon it's the same in LOS...?

LaoPo

I'm happy that movies are subtitled and not synchronized in my own country. Even people without any foreign language education can now speak quite a bit of English because of the subtitle system !

In Germany and France, for instance, most foreign movies are synchronized and that's a disadvantage, learning English; also it's silly to hear famous actors speak in another language. Plain silly :D

For Thai it would be a great help to hear the actors speak in original American/Australian or English/English with subtitles; they'll learn fast.

But, it's something which was decided (in Europe) by the governments...they knew what was best for their citizens... :o I reckon it's the same in LOS...?

LaoPo

My previous wife was Polish and I spent some time with her family in Warsaw.

Polish television had many foreign imports.

All were dubbed into Polish - with one person only reading all the roles in a monotone. Male/female - old/young - angry/laughing - romantic/fighting - it just didn't matter. Burble, burble, blah blahski.

I've never watched worse television - and the wife refused to watch most of the time. So if it wasn't mid-winter we'd go to the nearest bar and join the heaving masses who had also run away from the TY.

Cheers.

I think you could possibly call one, ' a rant', but I agree, a little over-responsive :o

Moss

• 3 weeks later...
I do not agree. "Most" English language movies shown here have Thai subtitles and are not dubbed.

Most English language movies here are shown in two versions, one is with the original soundtrack with Thai subtitles and the other is dubbed into Thai. Both are very popular amongst Thais. And I agree it's very unusual not to have the English-language version at all.

I find this thred interesting.

I go to many movies (usually at the Major Cineplex) with my wife (English) and had intended on seeing this one. Noticed it appeared to be a Chinese type action movie but the actors were Jackie Chan and Jet Li so checked the advert both within the pay counter area and at the bottom of the escalator (advertising board) and both said 'Soundtrack' with Thai subtitles. Soundtrack always relates to English audio, well it always has in the past. Did check the bio for the film on the net and again it mentioned that it was produced in English.

In the end didn't get to see the film as had to go to Phuket and when we came back it had stopped showing. The point though is it has not got anything to do with whether we are in UK or Thailand, the fact is the film was advertised as having audio in English so somebody made a big error within the management at the cinema. The only truth within these posts is that 'This Is Thailand' so everybody knows that all you will get is a smile and no more. That's not cynical, that is fact! No Thai subtitles needed.