Cool Thailand Moments

Dr. Burrito

Yesterday, Burrito’s mother-in-law pulled a lulu of a gaff that ended up being a Cool Thailand Moment.

Got to the office, went to work with the team on preparing a bit of proposed for a potential job and decided halfway through it that having my iBook would probably be a good idea in case I needed its media functions for display purposes.

Since Ms. Burrito was out at an interview for a new job, I was faced with using mousy, scared mother-in-law. Called her and told her to get a taxi and bring my laptop over. She said something Burrito Jr. sleeping and I said just bring him along.

So she gets taxi to show up, my associate speaks to the driver to give him exact directions since I don't claim to have that level of Thai skill and I assume they are on the way. Twenty minutes later I am standing out front so we won't be passed by and knowing she will recognize me. Longer it takes, more puzzled I get, so I break off a phone call to the house, hoping like h@ll she won't answer, but she does.

Yep, you guessed it. She handed my shiny, prized iBook to a taxi and sent it off into the ether, just assuming it would show up. Now, its used, I know, but still, hocked, it will buy a lot of yaba. So what happens? Less than one minute later, taxi pulls in and smiling young man hands me the computer just like he was always intending to do.

Not a miracle moment, I know, but at least it kept me out of prison from murdering the mother-in-law. :o

Not in your league but....

A few months ago I went to an Isuzu garage to see what deal I could get on a new pickup. I was pushing hard for a discount but the sales assistant apologetically kept stating that discounting was against head office policy. Seeing my disapointment she informed me that the Toyota garage up the road had a sale on and one of her colleagues had been to look at them and had some brochures which she promptly went and got.

She then spent the next 20 minutes going through the Toyota brochure and pricelist with me, translating it into English! As I stumbled out of the showroom in disbelief she gave me a card and said I could call her from the Toyota garage if I needed anything translating.

You certainly wouldn't get that from your average w*nker car salesman in the UK.

Danbkk

> She then spent the next 20 minutes going through the Toyota

> brochure and pricelist with me, translating it into English! As I

> stumbled out of the showroom in disbelief she gave me a card

> and said I could call her from the Toyota garage if I needed

> anything translating.

Still, it's those kinds of things that often make me go for a particular company or person for life. Not only should you buy the Isuzu (they have a minor-change model out) you should also marry her. :o

Cheers,

Chanchao

I woke up still sitting at a bar with 9000 Baht still in my shirt breast pocket as well a few years ago in Pattaya. The whores could have picked my pockets, but they didn't.

And you still call them "whores" .

I have a word to describe you that begins with "W" too.

> I have a word to describe you that begins with "W" too.

I'd like to believe there was some hidden sarcasm behind DJ Pat's post. :o Kind of like how these things aren't such a big a deal. Regular honest people doing their regular honest thing.

But I'm a staunch optimist.

Can we get back to the positive posts? Thought this post was a breath of fresh air on this forum, please don't fart in the wind.

Cheers,

Chanchao

I'd like to believe there was some hidden sarcasm behind DJ Pat's post.

No sarcasm whatsoever. I was at a girlie bar with some mates downing B-52 shots and had 9000 Baht fresh out the ATM in my breast pocket. The girls were at the bar all night and COULD HAVE ROBBED ME WHEN I WAS PASSED OUT PISSED BUT THEY DID NOT.

That's a cool moment. Think if I was sitting at a clip joint in London's Soho.

Walking down Sukhumvit 71 one day,on of the busiest streets in Bangkok, and come across a motosai taxi stand, and nearby an old, and I mean really old, lady trying to cross the street. Now, I think little of most motosai taxi dudes from long experience. But that particular day, this one guy corrected my thinking, at least a bit, because he too sees Grandma in her plight and leaps from his chair and with a smile as if the very act gave him joy, he takes her by the arm, and carefully leads her across the street stopping the traffic in both directions.

It wasn't so much that he helped her, which in itself was great, but the look of joy he got from doing it and the careful way he helped her.

It was a great seeing the proper respect being paid to an elderly citizen in need.

I lost a wallet last year in Pattaya and went back to where I'd thought I lost it (Baywatch Cafe Beach Road) and they hand me back the wallet with all my cash in it and my cards.

Brilliant!

I once left a wallet containing 60,000 baht (I was going to buy a new motorbike) in a phone box in Hat Yai. A local market trader found it and when I returned there in a blind panic two hours later he returned it to me. Much to my surprise all the money was still there!! Needless to say his reward would have kept him in Chang for several weeks.

When my wallet was stolen whilst walking near Soi One, Pattaya, and a week later my Thai driving License was sent back in the post by the thieves.  :o

Awwww Did you send them a Thank You Card :D

I doubt they would have provided a return address.

When my wallet was stolen whilst walking near Soi One, Pattaya, and a week later my Thai driving License was sent back in the post by the thieves.  :D

it's a joke DJ Pat :o

Heres a corker to match Burrito's mum in law !

I was on my way to Hualampong Station with a group of people to get the train to Surat Thani. Arrived at the station ....... there were actually 12 people in the group so we had four taxis.......anyway the leader of the group had a large amount of cash in her handbag (90,000 baht) and stepped out of her taxi without it. Taxi drives off into oblivion and iummediately the group leaders life goes into slow motion mode like inthe movies......the shock was already setting in as she had obviously lost all her cash.

Phone calls to tourist police ensued, phone calls to offices everywhere, general panis and mayhem...........then as we were all standing there ashen faced.......a little wrinkled old I-saan guy taps someone on the shoulder and stands there with the handbag in his hand !!! It was the taxi driver with the bag with all the cash still in place.

Needless to say he was rewarded on the spot, but in hindsight it would have been good to get the guys details and publicise him as a true hero ! I will never ofrget the look on his face when he was handed a nice some of cash as a reward and was cheered by the whole group and the police as well. priceless !

When my wallet was stolen whilst walking near Soi One, Pattaya, and a week later my Thai driving License was sent back in the post by the thieves.  :D

it's a joke DJ Pat :D

:o:D

it's a joke DJ Pat :o

I think you will find that it was more likely to have been returned by an honest citizen who found it on the street after the thief had discarded of it. unless they stated with a letter aswel "we stole your wallet but we dont want the drivers licence" cheers Thief.

Cheers Mango :D

I was at wat dai mit ( golden buddha) and this thai girl kept creeping closer to me but not looking directly at me. Then an older thai man came up to her and started shouting at her and she left rather quickly. My wife asked the old man what was the problem and he said that girl is a pick pocket thief and she was about to steal my wallet. We thanked him and offered to reward him but he just told us to make a donation to the temple.

Every year we go back to the temple to make our donation, I think in hopes of seeing that nice old man again. But he is never there.

posted elsewhere once but...

first month in country a few years ago, first visa run,

got robbed on the way to the border (had Lek)

Immigration guy helpful, understanding, gives me lunch, at the border checkpoint, drives me to back to Trat, commandeers a PC at an internet shop to let me cancel my things, and then to top it all off, actually GIVES me several thousand baht to get back to bkk and sort out my things.

Five days or so later I return and return the money, doubled.

Did have to pay 5 day overstay, but that was just funny.

drove my car into an upcountry toyota dealership and asked the mechanics if they could investigate a frightening rumble that had developed around the front suspension.

within a minute they had put the car up on a ramp and for half an hour were dismantling and checking this and that before finding a loose bolt that attaches the suspension to the body. tightened it up , road tested it and would not take one baht for their trouble.

some of the most helpful and kind people i have ever come across have been in thailand.

my good experiences in thailand outnumber the bad by 100 to 1 , and the bad ones , if i am really honest , could have been avoided by a little more thought on my part.