Heroine's Monument / Ban Paklok From Hkt

Harley62

Forgive the "odd" question, but how does one say "Heroines Monument" in THAI?

And if I must go to that area (Ban Pahklok) directly from HKT, any idea of what a fair price would be---by taxi? (hopefully LESS than the THB 500-600 fare as if going to Patong, etc..)

Thanks in advance for the assistance.

HB

the name in Thai is something like A-NOO-SOW-REE (I'm sure there will be plenty of other opinions!)

No idea about taxi cost.

And if I must go to that area (Ban Pahklok) directly from HKT, any idea of what a fair price would be---by taxi? (hopefully LESS than the THB 500-600 fare as if going to Patong, etc..)

HB

I live around 1km on the right from the monument and have had a few taxis from time to time and it has cost me 300thb ( inc a small tip and the 50thb surcharge)

No need to say it in thai as they have always understood when i have said pahklok

hope that helps

the name in Thai is something like A-NOO-SOW-REE (I'm sure there will be plenty of other opinions!)

No idea about taxi cost.

HB

Yes plenty of opions !! A-NUUT-SOW-WATS-LEE sounds good !!! and 400 bhat ish gone up re. petrol :o

I also live in that area. The area around heroines monument is "Ta Rua". However I find if you are a white honky and you're not going to Patong or one of the other beaches, taxi drivers find the situation incomprehensible. Also they don't know where anything is and they can't read maps. Some of them know where Paklok is but you run the risk of them taking the little road round the North East of the island.

I have to deal with this situation weekly - I allow a good 10 minutes to explain in English and Thai where I want to go.

The official taxi stand charges 400THB. Taxi Metres are probably a bit cheaper - I will try them on Friday.

Good luck!

Edited by ade100

ANU-SOW-WA-REE means monument so you can say that and add Thalang.

You can say PAI ANU-SOW-WA-REE THII THALANG and most people will understand what you mean.

The two girls are THAAW SURA NARI and THAAW SII SUNTHORN

You can also call them KHUN YING MOOK and KHIN YING MOR

As many people now in Phuket are not originally from Phuket they may have no idea of this.

When I am arriving in Phuket by bus I usually ring my taxi driver and tell him when I reach this monument.

WONG WIAN is round about, so you can throw that it as well. I just use ANUSAWAREE THALANG and it is understood.

Examples

ANUSAWAREE PRACHATHIPATAI=Democracy monument

ANUSAWAREE CHAISAMORAPHUM= Victory monument

ANU-SOW-WA-REE means monument so you can say that and add Thalang.

You can say PAI ANU-SOW-WA-REE THII THALANG and most people will understand what you mean.

The two girls are THAAW SURA NARI and THAAW SII SUNTHORN

You can also call them KHUN YING MOOK and KHIN YING MOR

As many people now in Phuket are not originally from Phuket they may have no idea of this.

When I am arriving in Phuket by bus I usually ring my taxi driver and tell him when I reach this monument.

WONG WIAN is round about, so you can throw that it as well. I just use ANUSAWAREE THALANG and it is understood.

Examples

ANUSAWAREE PRACHATHIPATAI=Democracy monument

ANUSAWAREE CHAISAMORAPHUM= Victory monument

Thanks. This is helpful.

I am going to try ANUSAWAREE THALANG on Friday and shall report back on whether they understand.

:-)

I also live in that area. The area around heroines monument is "Ta Rua". However I find if you are a white honky and you're not going to Patong or one of the other beaches, taxi drivers find the situation incomprehensible. Also they don't know where anything is and they can't read maps. Some of them know where Paklok is but you run the risk of them taking the little road round the North East of the island.

I have to deal with this situation weekly - I allow a good 10 minutes to explain in English and Thai where I want to go.

The official taxi stand charges 400THB. Taxi Metres are probably a bit cheaper - I will try them on Friday.

Good luck!

It will take a few years but than taxis will have GPS systems too....whether the drivers will know and learn HOW such a system functions remains to be seen... :o

LaoPo

Just tries “Anusawaree Thalang” at the taxi desk at the airport. It worked a treat. OK the girls behind the desk started giggling at me when I said it but this is nothing new with my attempts at speaking Thai. Taxi driver and his buddy also thought it was a bit of a laugh but they took me straight there. Then all I needed was a bit of “sai”, “kwa”, “trung” and I was home in a jiffy.

Speaking Thai has tremendous benefits, I cannot recommend it enough.

I can go anywhere in any situation and feel comfortable talking with Thais about all sorts of subjects.

Not only do they respect you greatly, they will also feel less inclined to try to overcharge you.

You need to speak it well rather than in a broken way like you have picked it up in a bar.

There are many excellent resources now for learning