No More Multiple Entry O From Singapore

They may not issue but believe it will be a Singapore decision.

That's my take on it. As I said above, it's much easier for the Singapore consular official who is standing in front of you to blame this shift on some anonymous central government hack than to own up to it being solely a local decision.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am a little confused can somebody please explain how it is illegal to stay here on a nonn immigrant o multi entry based on marriage, as when i applied for mine i provided all the documents and was issued the visa, which stated multi entry, it did not state however, how long you had to stay out of the country between entrys !! Somebody please??

The Thai Embassy in Singapore have *just* told me in person that they no longer issue multiple entry non immigrant "O" visas.

Despite being married to a Thai, having two children with Thai nationality and meeting the financial requirements, the embassy will only issue a single entry.

There were many people scratching their heads in disbelief this morning, especially as the prices on the wall show that a multiple "O is $220 and will increase to $250 on 1st May, even though they are not issuing them.

I am also aggrieved that certain members of this forum have advised that Singapore is the best place to get a multiple "O" when it seems that as from Tuesday 22nd April they have not been issuing them. The muslim lady was friendly and apologised, but said they were given this directive from central government.

Another nail in the coffin for Thailand, the unfairness and inconsistency of the immigration policy knows no bounds.

Best Regards.

Last monday i went to Kl , I had no problems to get the NON "O" Multiple entry there.

see report Kl. today.

Edited by mclaren1001

What about a guy, aged 40, who is very well off who wants to live in Thailand but not spunk up for an Elite Card ? Why cannot he have an annual visa, go to the police every 90 days if need be and report ? Why is the magic age 50, down from 55 some years ago ? Why not 45 or 16 ? There is no logic.

Why is the guy that has money in Thailand not allowed to just move to UK or Austrailia or the US just because he wants to move there and live there?

We have had recent reports of obtaining multi entry visas in both Penang and Kuala Lumpur so I would suggest you try there and if unable to obtain then think about extensions of stay - which you can not normally obtain until down to less than 30 days remaining on your 90 day stay (which you never have happen).

Maybe he could use re-entry permits so that he would get into the last 30 days of his 90 day stay, and then file for an extension of stay.

What about a guy, aged 40, who is very well off who wants to live in Thailand but not spunk up for an Elite Card ? Why cannot he have an annual visa, go to the police every 90 days if need be and report ? Why is the magic age 50, down from 55 some years ago ? Why not 45 or 16 ? There is no logic.

Why is the guy that has money in Thailand not allowed to just move to UK or Austrailia or the US just because he wants to move there and live there?

Why my partner cannot join me freely when we want to be together in my farang country ? This is not possible even if I have more than ample means to support us both. This means we are obliged to live apart for many long months. This is true even if we are married.

We have had recent reports of obtaining multi entry visas in both Penang and Kuala Lumpur so I would suggest you try there and if unable to obtain then think about extensions of stay - which you can not normally obtain until down to less than 30 days remaining on your 90 day stay (which you never have happen).

Maybe he could use re-entry permits so that he would get into the last 30 days of his 90 day stay, and then file for an extension of stay.

Is it indeed possible to get a re-entry permit on a single-entry Non-O visa?

Then he has the problem of being in Thailand 30 days later to receive the extension of stay stamp - marriage/family is not done in one visit.

Why my partner cannot join me freely when we want to be together in my farang country ? This is not possible even if I have more than ample means to support us both. This means we are obliged to live apart for many long months. This is true even if we are married.

I am not sure what country you are from but if you have ample means a green card for your wife for the USA should not be a problem. It may take 8 months or so but once you get it you do not have to go through the visa bull every year like you do here. Also once she is in it is very unlikely that she would ever be kicked out. That is not the case here in thailand for those of us married to thai women. The rules can be changed at anytime.

I am not sure what country you are from but if you have ample means a green card for your wife for the USA should not be a problem. It may take 8 months or so but once you get it you do not have to go through the visa bull every year like you do here. Also once she is in it is very unlikely that she would ever be kicked out. That is not the case here in thailand for those of us married to thai women. The rules can be changed at anytime.

Well we are not married and my partner has plenty of means of support. Still we have to go through the same hurdles each time we want to be together to try and get an authorization to travel to farangland. It takes ages, money resources and you never know the outcome.

But I agree each country has some better and some worse rules

A re-entry permit is available for any visa permitted to stay stamp.

I apologize for dragging this out, but I need to be clear on this point.

If I understand you correctly, if I enter Thailand on my new single-entry, 90-day Non-O visa, I can get a re-entry stamp for that visa, say after I have been in-country for perhaps 3 or 4 weeks, before I have applied for extension of stay?

If I understand you correctly, if I enter Thailand on my new single-entry, 90-day Non-O visa, I can get a re-entry stamp for that visa, say after I have been in-country for perhaps 3 or 4 weeks, before I have applied for extension of stay?

Yes. It will keep your original permission to stay date alive. It will not extend it.

Cost 1,000 Baht

Yes. It will keep your original permission to stay date alive. It will not extend it.

Cost 1,000 Baht

Ok, that is good news.

Bear with me please...what is the procedure for obtaining the re-entry permit? When/where?

Thanks in advance...

Immigration office before you leave. Good idea to get early when you have time as it is valid from issue until your permitted to stay date. At Bangkok airport you have to check in for flight before they will issue so I would not leave it until the last minute and would visit an immigration office prior to departure time.

Immigration office before you leave. Good idea to get early when you have time as it is valid from issue until your permitted to stay date. At Bangkok airport you have to check in for flight before they will issue so I would not leave it until the last minute and would visit an immigration office prior to departure time.

Looks like a trip to Sathorn then....

Is the 1000 THB for a single or multiple re-entry?

It would make sense that some Thai immigration officials thoughts would be to force everyone who is capable to do so into doing an extension on their existing visa. If not capable, then people will have to scramble until the days of easy easy Visas are over. Having wife or over 50 with kids leaves no reason why one couldn't. It is actually easier to do an extension and the benefit for only checking in every 90 days IN country is great.

If one qualifies then a single entry is suffice already.

Usually they say that one should go back to ones country to get a visa. Does this mean that even Singaporeans will have a new problem to deal with themselves?

Captain Chaos, you said in an earlier post that you work 3 minutes away from the embassy in Singapore, I suggest that you might call in there asking about multiple entry "O" and post the results in this thread.

Cheers.

LOL - when I have passed before 9 there has always been a queue - it might be 3 minutes away but it might take a lot longer to go and enquire

A phone call might do it

If I remember next week I might be cheeky and get my assistant to phone our Visa Agents and have them enquire - it will seem strange I am asking for this type though as we usually only want biz visa's for anywhere and the assistant knows the ex and myself are split up and I do not need this visa - she will be suspecting I have another one on the go and the rumours will be all round the office :o

Visiting the embassy is a definite Friday morning job - it's usually relatively quiet then - if it's a slow morning at work I'll see if I can find time to go ask a few questions...

the staff there are very dodgy in my opinion, the guys on the gate are good tho, the stupid woman that waits in the door to assist refuses to give more then a grunt before stomping off, the cashier lady is very friendly but hasnt got a clue so you are forced to wait standing in the queue for 45 mins for the muslin womans judgment, one oddity was that if you dont have a return ticket to singapore you have to show $1000 cash, but 30000B was not acceptable, unfortunately it took 45 mins standing in the queue to get that info as the other staff are hopeless and then it took another 45 mins standing in the queue after the money was changed, then the money had to be changed back again

Are they still issuing non immigrant "B" visas?

Do you mean multiple or single entry?

As I said above they will only issue No-imm "B" as a single entry to us - if that is all you need then OK. .

We are employee's of a MNC with offices all over the region and world with regional roles based out of Singapore.

I know guy's from banks etc who are in the same position - everyone just goes up and does business and attends confernces and workshops on tourist visa's rather than use up their passports.

Doesn't matter...I get that changed to multiple entry.

it's just that the last time we sent anyone to Penang for a "B" they were knocked back...about 18 months ago.

It is worrying that visiting business people are coming in on tourist visas though.

Edited by kedawi

Ok, its a bit out of "multiple o in S-Pore", but 'cause KL is an "option", I tell you, whats happened this week in KL:

During my trying, to get a Non-B multiple (like I got it in KL one year ago), I watched/listened following:

Someone, married with a Thailady, tried the second day, to get a multiple Non-O, so bringing all the needed things, again, like bankstatements, marriage papers, retirementpapers, ect.ect.!

At least, they where discussing, if he can have (same last year, too)) more than a single entry!

But her I was out the scene, 'cause I had to speak a couple of words with the embassy personal, also, to get informations, about whats happened:

I do have a WP, and all papers, and they told me, I will get only a single entry!

So I ask a bit, whats happened, my boss, the accounting office and the Labour office is expecting me back with a multiple entry, if they can tell me (please), why I do not get it, like I got it, last year?

They dont wanted to say something more in detail.

So I asked them, if they can write some paper for my boss, what I do need, for nexttime, and that my boss understand, that not I asked for an single entry, only. Because he has to give me the days, for the visarun, always.

"We can not write something for you, we dont have time, you see the many people behind you?

220 RM, please"

I looked at my money, than at him, not doing anything else. And because I'm tired about this "we not say something, you will see, when its happened" I waited either for another info, or for my papers, going then to Penang for a (known) single visa!

He asked again, for the money, I looked at him, and asked why, one of the ladys from the next counter started looking at both of us (she did this story, only single-B, to someone with WP and everything, also, a couple of minutes, before i tried my luck!)

"You have to extend at immigration in Thailand, you dont need to come back here, here you get single entry only.

So I guess, the 'one year extensions' is the way, the Thai Gouverment wanna controll a bit better, if the people in Thailand are from that 'value', that they wanna have!

Is anyone knowing, if in the 1. world are still all visa available, like they were befor?

Cheers

"Until Thailand comes up with some new visa rules (thought out this time please and after a consultation period)"

And pray who should the sovereign nation state of Thailand consult with? - the guy's living illegally, in the grey area or just not withing the spirit of the law, rules and policy which causes the changes in this thread in the first place.

The immigration is good/bad has many sides - both in Thailand and the likes of the UK - do you wish for the UK to consult with the illegals, rule benders and other charlatans on their immigration policy too or just Thailand?

Many libertarians argue that totally free flow of labour is the best way in a true free market - are you a fellwo traveller or do you just like immigration rules to suit your own situation?

I am sure you can get an "O" if you go back to the UK for it so no problem

The nation of Thailand should think before making up stupid visa rules and then whatever the rules are they should be posted and applied uniformly. As visas are for non Thais, they should perhaps ask some of these foreigners what problems they currently face and address those issues.

Thailand actively encourages people to live here and retire here but there are age restrictions and other issues. They should do away with border runs and just have people report to immigration. As for working then make it easier. What is sensible about a system which requires you to go to foreign countries to get visas and extensions ?

You are right that people can go to the UK and get a non imm O but if Thailand had any sense then they would rather keep the air fare price in Thailand instead of giving it to the airline.

Thailand actively encourages people to live here and retire here but there are age restrictions and other issues. They should do away with border runs and just have people report to immigration.

That is exactly what they are doing here. Instead of giving out a multiple entry non-imm O visa, where you have to go out of the country every 90 days, they now say that you should get a single entry non-imm O visa, and get an extension of stay in Thailand. That way you do not need to go to a different country every 90 days and only need to report to immigration every 90 days within Thailand. Thus saving you time, and allowing all of your money to stay in Thailand.

The nation of Thailand should think before making up stupid visa rules and then whatever the rules are they should be posted and applied uniformly. As visas are for non Thais, they should perhaps ask some of these foreigners what problems they currently face and address those issues.

Thailand actively encourages people to live here and retire here but there are age restrictions and other issues. They should do away with border runs and just have people report to immigration. As for working then make it easier. What is sensible about a system which requires you to go to foreign countries to get visas and extensions ?

You are right that people can go to the UK and get a non imm O but if Thailand had any sense then they would rather keep the air fare price in Thailand instead of giving it to the airline.

I also wish my farang government would ask the foreigners in my country what kind of visa rules they would like to see to make their lives easier !

It is not going to happen the world over.

Visa rules are made by the country for the country not for the would be users of the visas and never will be.

Visa rules are there to control the foreigners not to make their lives easier or pleasant in any way.

We can all wish the rules change, get easier to comply with etc. but in the end if we want to stay we have to follow them as best as possible.

Let's face it Thai visa rules are not as a whole difficult to comply with. As we can see from this forum to each or at least most cases, even the most complicated ones, there is a solution proposed. I have ever to see a reply :'impossible for you'. The solution proposed might not be ideal for the visa seeker but at least it is possible.

One cannot say that of my farang country's visa rules as a no is a real no, no B plan possible.

The bad point of the Thai system is that it is less 'sure' as the rules do change and therefore in the long term can be uncertain.

In farang land, once you have a visa status you are assured of its validity.

Thailand actively encourages people to live here and retire here but there are age restrictions and other issues. They should do away with border runs and just have people report to immigration.

That is exactly what they are doing here. Instead of giving out a multiple entry non-imm O visa, where you have to go out of the country every 90 days, they now say that you should get a single entry non-imm O visa, and get an extension of stay in Thailand. That way you do not need to go to a different country every 90 days and only need to report to immigration every 90 days within Thailand. Thus saving you time, and allowing all of your money to stay in Thailand.

Fair enough I suppose for people who are living in Thailand ... not much use for those of us who live elsewhere but need to visit frequently!

Anyway, didn't make it into the embassy this week, too busy at work, but will try to sneak in soon and report back

Fair enough I suppose for people who are living in Thailand ... not much use for those of us who live elsewhere but need to visit frequently!

Anyway, didn't make it into the embassy this week, too busy at work, but will try to sneak in soon and report back

And I think you have the problem specifically because people were using a multi O to live in Thailand instead of just visiting frequently. If people who want to live here went the extension route, and people who want to visit frequently went the multi route, it would be great. Maybe they need a 180 days in a year max on a multi entry B or O visa. Then those that make frequent trips could use it and those that want to live full time in Thailand would be required to get an extension of stay.

Or maybe just make it a blanket rule. No more than 180 days in a calendar year unless you have an long term extension of stay from immigration. That is what most other countries do. If you had a 10 year multi entry tourist visa for the US and tried to come back to back to back and stay in the US for 10 years, you would not be allowed to.

Edited by jstumbo

And I think you have the problem specifically because people were using a multi O to live in Thailand instead of just visiting frequently. If people who want to live here went the extension route, and people who want to visit frequently went the multi route, it would be great. Maybe they need a 180 days in a year max on a multi entry B or O visa. Then those that make frequent trips could use it and those that want to live full time in Thailand would be required to get an extension of stay.

Or maybe just make it a blanket rule. No more than 180 days in a calendar year unless you have an long term extension of stay from immigration. That is what most other countries do. If you had a 10 year multi entry tourist visa for the US and tried to come back to back to back and stay in the US for 10 years, you would not be allowed to.

It always comes down to the few who abuse the system or use the system as it was not intended to or for make it difficult for the the majority of others who try to follow the rules