No More Multiple Entry O From Singapore

I was just wandering, i am under 50, have a wife and child here, wife works but under 40000baht, i currently stay here on a nonn o doing 90 days visa runs, how do i get an extension of stay if that is what the visa is intended for. Have Money and can support myself for a good few years to come!!

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was just wandering, i am under 50, have a wife and child here, wife works but under 40000baht, i currently stay here on a nonn o doing 90 days visa runs, how do i get an extension of stay if that is what the visa is intended for. Have Money and can support myself for a good few years to come!!

With great difficulty since 2006, when they stopped the money in the bank rule.

We still haven't heard from anyone other than the OP to confirm this change in policy - also want to hear if they will refuse it to people who are based in Singapore or at least outside Thailand and can prove it

Just a thought, given that it may linked to stop people who are using multiple entry visas to evade extension of stay requirements...

Here's hoping :o

CC

Make sure the wife makes/pays tax on 40k per month.

Purely in the interest of research.

What if the wife didn't earn 40 k per month but still paid the equivalent in tax?

In your opinion would a marriage extension still be available?

Make sure the wife makes/pays tax on 40k per month.

Purely in the interest of research.

What if the wife didn't earn 40 k per month but still paid the equivalent in tax?

In your opinion would a marriage extension still be available?

Yes.

Despite being married to a Thai, having two children with Thai nationality and meeting the financial requirements, the embassy will only issue a single entry.

Not quite sure I understand your problem. You are married to a Thai and claim financial viability. Why not get a single-entry non-O and then extend it for one year (and then annually thereafter) based on marriage. Isn't it just B 400,000 in the bank or around B 60K per month income?

Why do you need to go the "multi-entry" route to begin with?

Are they still issuing non immigrant "B" visas?

Do you mean multiple or single entry?

As I said above they will only issue No-imm "B" as a single entry to us - if that is all you need then OK. .

We are employee's of a MNC with offices all over the region and world with regional roles based out of Singapore.

I know guy's from banks etc who are in the same position - everyone just goes up and does business and attends confernces and workshops on tourist visa's rather than use up their passports.

Why do you need to go the "multi-entry" route to begin with?

Because every time you want to leave Thailand you have to get a re-entry permit beforehand. Otherwise, your 3 month non-Imm O gets invalidated.

From his op, it sounded like he wanted to reside in LOS with his family and didn't need the multi-entry for business purposes. I imagine if he does need a multi-entry for business travel in and out all the time, he must have a pretty good position so would surely meet the monthly income requirements for the 1-year extension. When you get the extension, during the same visit, get a multi-entry re-entry permit (about B 4000) and you're set for any and all in/outs on your extended 1-year visa.

Still don't see much problem.

Captain Chaos, you said in an earlier post that you work 3 minutes away from the embassy in Singapore, I suggest that you might call in there asking about multiple entry "O" and post the results in this thread.

Cheers.

Captain Chaos, you said in an earlier post that you work 3 minutes away from the embassy in Singapore, I suggest that you might call in there asking about multiple entry "O" and post the results in this thread.

Cheers.

LOL - when I have passed before 9 there has always been a queue - it might be 3 minutes away but it might take a lot longer to go and enquire

A phone call might do it

If I remember next week I might be cheeky and get my assistant to phone our Visa Agents and have them enquire - it will seem strange I am asking for this type though as we usually only want biz visa's for anywhere and the assistant knows the ex and myself are split up and I do not need this visa - she will be suspecting I have another one on the go and the rumours will be all round the office :o

So since the Thai embassy in Singapore only issues single entry non "O" immi visas now; if I'm granted this visa, I can come into Thailand, then get an extension of stay and before leaving the country get a re-entry permit (4000 baht) to enable me to enter multiple times throughout the year? I only ask because I am am on a 6 week on/6 week off schedule and was planning on trying for the non "O" immi multi entry this time through Singapore, but obviously this option is gone. How much is the extension of stay and where do I get it? What paperwork do I need to show for the extension of stay, and the re-entry permit? Thanks

Unless for a valid reason the multiply o visa is going the same route as the 30 day upon arrival. People can only abuse the system so long before there are ramifications. As usual the person with a legitimate reason for the visa will pay the price for the whining abuser who refuses to get legal.

Unless for a valid reason the multiply o visa is going the same route as the 30 day upon arrival. People can only abuse the system so long before there are ramifications. As usual the person with a legitimate reason for the visa will pay the price for the whining abuser who refuses to get legal.

I already have this problem with getting a multi entry business visa to make frequent trips to do business in Thailand. I have to wind up going back to the US to get another one, even though I have been a nomad around Asia for 4+ years.

I never understand why they have people that are going to work a job get a B visa. They are not doing business, they should have an O visa based on employment. A person making frequent trips to Thailand for business is much different than a person living in Thailand, working for a Thai or local office of a MNC.

To those slagging the "illegals" off I have a question. Just what percentage of these people do you think actually harm Thailand or in some other way are detrimental to the well being of Thai people ? I guess you'll not have to count higher than the fingers on one hand.

Many countries have stupid regulations but they are usually enforced uniformly throughout the country and there are usually ways to prove one's bona fides to circumvent those regulations if one does not fit a pre approved category.

What about a guy, aged 40, who is very well off who wants to live in Thailand but not spunk up for an Elite Card ? Why cannot he have an annual visa, go to the police every 90 days if need be and report ? Why is the magic age 50, down from 55 some years ago ? Why not 45 or 16 ? There is no logic.

Now if they said that irrespective of age you had to show 800k or 65k per month then fine, we could all understand that. On the same front, no account is taken as to whether a guy owns his accommodation or not. This surely impacts upon the amount of money he is able to inject into the Thai economy does it not ? Why when you re married does it go down to 40k per month from 65k if you are single ? Completely potty.

What about if you have kids ? No credit is given. Again, total stupidity. Work offshore but here for 91 days in 180, tough, go to jail, do not pass immigration, do not collect $200.

Finally, just make it easier for small business owners to do things legitimately. I can run a UK company for about £20 a year but my Thai company costs oodles more than that. Why ? Stupidity.

The reason these consulates are stopping issuing non imm "O"s is because of some potty directives and a lack of resources. but these visas should be more than self financing as they bring in cash. People going to the Cambodian border and giving the Cambos $20 (and the rest) is clearly potty as well. Why can't you just go to immigration and pay them the $20 ?

Until Thailand comes up with some new visa rules (thought out this time please and after a consultation period) it is going to keep shooting itself in the foot. I could tell you innumerable guys and couples who are just getting out or not coming because they cannot be arsed with the potty rules here.

"Until Thailand comes up with some new visa rules (thought out this time please and after a consultation period)"

And pray who should the sovereign nation state of Thailand consult with? - the guy's living illegally, in the grey area or just not withing the spirit of the law, rules and policy which causes the changes in this thread in the first place.

The immigration is good/bad has many sides - both in Thailand and the likes of the UK - do you wish for the UK to consult with the illegals, rule benders and other charlatans on their immigration policy too or just Thailand?

Many libertarians argue that totally free flow of labour is the best way in a true free market - are you a fellwo traveller or do you just like immigration rules to suit your own situation?

I am sure you can get an "O" if you go back to the UK for it so no problem

Guys living "illegally"................?

Come on, were not talking about overstayers here :o

No more multiple entry in Singapore, even if you show 400K in the bank. But go to Penang and you will probably get one if you show 400K. Go to KL and you will almost certainly get one if you don't show 400K. Complete lack of consistency.

The website of the Thai Embassy in Singapore is still showing the criteria for a Multiple "O", and the charges applicable from 1st May 2008.

http://www.thaiembassy.sg/immigrantO_visa.html

Cheers

Edited by INTJ

"Who should the sovereign Thai government consult about their immigration law, rules and policies"

Probably best to stick with the somtam lady, she seems to be doing a good job so far.

Cheers

"Who should the sovereign Thai government consult about their immigration law, rules and policies"

Probably best to stick with the somtam lady, she seems to be doing a good job so far.

Cheers

And as far as the sovereign nation state of Thailand goes she has more rights to do so?

I do find it a tad amusing some farangs think Thailand should change policies to suit them or that they really make a difference at the macro level - the same guy's usually whinge about immigrants in their home country - there are a few prime examples of those - giving the reason they left the UK or wherever as too much immigration then whinge about where they are immigrants!

If immigrant groups were influincing policy in the UK they become all "Outraged of Tunbridge Wells" but they have all the solutions to Thailands immigration policies all worked out (and worked up about it too)

Sorry mate, you've lost me there :o

No worries - its early - or late if you have been up all night for the footie - not worth going to bed now as the car is coming for me in an hour or so for the airport and a weekend in Bangkok - good job I do not need a Multiple O from down here in Singapore :D

So since the Thai embassy in Singapore only issues single entry non "O" immi visas now; if I'm granted this visa, I can come into Thailand, then get an extension of stay and before leaving the country get a re-entry permit (4000 baht) to enable me to enter multiple times throughout the year? I only ask because I am am on a 6 week on/6 week off schedule and was planning on trying for the non "O" immi multi entry this time through Singapore, but obviously this option is gone. How much is the extension of stay and where do I get it? What paperwork do I need to show for the extension of stay, and the re-entry permit? Thanks

We have had recent reports of obtaining multi entry visas in both Penang and Kuala Lumpur so I would suggest you try there and if unable to obtain then think about extensions of stay - which you can not normally obtain until down to less than 30 days remaining on your 90 day stay (which you never have happen). You need a multi entry non immigrant O visa. If you use Singapore explain your situation - you can not obtain an extension of stay because of your work schedule.

Lop3,

Are you saying that Singapore have the discretion to issue a Non-O depending on the personal circumstances of the applicant ?

Thats not how I saw it there, and I wouldn't recommend anyone to go there expecting a multiple entry, unless you have information to the contrary ?

Cheers

And I did not recommend he go there. But if he does I would recommend that he provide the information that might make a difference. Singapore was offering a unique service (using the 400k figure) for all. Most Consulates have the authority to operate on local judgment and I doubt that has been removed by Bangkok if other Consulates in the area are issuing such visas. They may not issue but believe it will be a Singapore decision.

I do find it a tad amusing some farangs think Thailand should change policies to suit them or that they really make a difference at the macro level

Just as a generic proposition, Thailand would be better off economically if it had a more open and less cumbersome visa/work scheme for most classes of foreign workers. (This goes for just about all countries too...including America.) As an example, I read recently that Singapore allows skilled workers and professionals from many countries to enter Singapore on a social visit entry stamp (basically a tourist visa) for up to 90 days. If during that time, the person wishes to stay in Singapore and finds an employer who is in need of their skills/expertise and wants to hire them, it is then easy for them to covert their social visit pass into a residency permit/work permit situation.

I think the last quarter, Singapore's GDP growth rate was something like 6-8%. They understand that foreigners working in Singapore are not going to be taking away jobs form locals but increase the wealth of everyone by making Singapore more competitive and richer in the process.