Unscrupulous Western Employers

Bananaman

I have just taken over a resort from a Thai owner.

The staff had accommodation, however, because there were no ceilings they could not put lights on in the evening because it would attract insects. They were not allowed to have TV because they consumed electricity. They wore their own clothes. One member of staff is a Thai born Burmese guy who was on half the wages of the Thai staff. They were also not allowed to leave the site in the evenings without permission. They shared two non-flush toilets and two large water buckets for showers

Now to me that was not acceptable.

I have put in showers, flush toilets, ceilings and TV's. Their wages have increased and the Burmese guy gets the same wages as the Thai staff. They have rota's for days off and when they are off duty they can do what they please. They also have uniforms that we launder. They also have 2 english lessons a week.

Most of the staff seem happy enough with that, however, one staff member decided that I was a soft touch and started skiving off, lying and generally treating me with contempt. He has now found out that I am not a soft touch and is currently seeking employment so if anyone is looking for a new member of staff..........!!!

It is very difficult to find a balance between Thai and Western working practices and I applaud anyone who has found that balance. Any hints as to how you do it would be gratefully received.

I think you should tell her about the "Labour Office" and also encourage her to find another job/employer.

This advice applies to all employees regardless of nationallity of employer.

I think the OP has a gripe about T&Cs of employment and the relationship between employee and boss. Any employee is free to move on if they do not like the pay or other factors in any job. If the boss does not learn that keeping good staff pays dividends in the long term and that reasonable reward and good working conditions are part of that equation - they will loose good staff and suffer as a result. Was the employer in question well established in the industry or a newbie to the task of manager? I think there are many unknown factors in situations like this to make such a blanket statement.

In any organization you should expect a % of staff chun as people develop and move on or fresh blood becomes availible.