Early Retirement In Thailand

I am a 40 year old Asian and would like to spend my early retirement life in Thailand. However, my age does not qualify me for the Thai retiree residency scheme. I would appreciate if someone could advice me on how I could stay in Thailand for perhaps 5 years or more, without the need to go to the immigration office too often. I plan to travel out of Thailand 4-6 times a year for holiday, although Thailand will be my base, and home.

I have read about the Thai Elite scheme and the Thai Longstay or Second Home schemes, but both don't seem very stable to me. I am afraid the companies may fold or the schemes withdrawn, and apart from paying money for nothing (esp the Elite scheme, which is more expensive upfront), my life would also be a bind, especially after having bought an apartment and getting used to the life in Thailand. I am willing to pay fees of say 1 to 2 million baht, but I hope to get some certainty for it.

I would appreciate all the advice I can get. Thank you.

Keith

I would go with the Thai Elite card. Worst case senario you get 5 years out of it, and then you just need to make up the other 5 years before you turn 50. Maybe you could study Thai on an ED visa for a few years first?

I've been reading about the Thai Elite card here, and the flames back and forth about it, for seemingly years... I don't have any personal dog in those fights.

But out of all that...I have a question... I know the card makes the 5 year claim. But from what I remember, it ends up still being a one-year rewewable visa... like the O or Bs...

So, were the ever flexible Thai govt. to pull the plug on the card as some people fear, would someone having bought one really still have the guarantee of a 5-year visa... or... would their 5-year guarantee end with the next renewal after the death of the card???

And, given the way things go around here, can any of us really answer that question with any degree of certainty???

I would go with the Thai Elite card. Worst case senario you get 5 years out of it, and then you just need to make up the other 5 years before you turn 50. Maybe you could study Thai on an ED visa for a few years first?

Not really sure what you mean by the 5 year visa only being a de facto 1 year one. My visa was issued in August of 2006 and expires in August of 2011. I am still subject to the 90 day reporting requirements however, were I not leaving the country within that time.

The overriding issue with the scheme is still its long-term viability. TE have gone some way towards alleviating those fears by changing the contract to include a sort of money-back guarantee if the scheme folds (minus the value of services used by the individual during his membership), but even then, how guaranteed is the guarantee? All in all though, I'm more confident of the scheme's future now than I was, say, directly after the coup.

I've been reading about the Thai Elite card

So, were the ever flexible Thai govt. to pull the plug on the card...

And, given the way things go around here, can any of us really answer that question with any degree of certainty???

The definitive answer to that is an absolute "no"... which creates, in and of itself, uncertainty.... :o

Edited by sriracha john

I have read about the ......... and the Thai Longstay or Second Home schemes, but both don't seem very stable to me.

I think you are getting muddled here.

I am not aware of any such schemes in Thailand.

"Second Home" MM2H is a Malaysian scheme.

Hi all,

Thank you for all your inputs and views. Sorry, I had been busy.

Astral: Yes, it seems odd that Thailand also has the second home thing. Apparently, it's supposed to be a new scheme from Thailand Long Stay Co. This is the site: http://www.thailongstay.co.th/vip/

I have emailed them but they have not replied. Even my phone calls to them were unsuccessful. I have doubts about this program.

NHJ, jstumbo: Thanks for your suggestions. I am looking into them. Yes, I do want to study Thai, so ed visa may be an option although I know nothing about getting one yet.

jfchandler, meerkat n sriracha: Thanks also for your inputs. I know at the end of the day, the decision and risk are mine. I am still weighing the different options of staying long term in Thailand. I am just wondering I shoud dive in or walk around the pool first.

Hi all,

Astral: Yes, it seems odd that Thailand also has the second home thing. Apparently, it's supposed to be a new scheme from Thailand Long Stay Co. This is the site: http://www.thailongstay.co.th/vip/

I have emailed them but they have not replied. Even my phone calls to them were unsuccessful. I have doubts about this program.

NHJ, jstumbo: Thanks for your suggestions. I am looking into them. Yes, I do want to study Thai, so ed visa may be an option although I know nothing about getting one yet.

jfchandler, meerkat n sriracha: Thanks also for your inputs. I know at the end of the day, the decision and risk are mine. I am still weighing the different options of staying long term in Thailand. I am just wondering I shoud dive in or walk around the pool first.

A quick mental addition and it looks like about £100,000 initial start up including 30 years rent in advance, deposit (Entire value of house) and a lifetime membership fee, plus £500 a year in membership maintenance. Oh and for that they will arrange a visa on a yearly basis? Oh and if you die your kin only need to pay them £1500 to transfer your paid for membership as an inheritance that by all rights should be thiers anyway.

All of this for a company that has not replied to your email? Afraid i would drop this one like a hot brick.

It sounds extremely dubious to me. Educaton visa would be the best oiption in my opinion and you will also get to learn the language properly as well. Extra bonus.

re Longstay program ... in the leaflet they quote

• Visa

Visa prearrangement service assists a member to

deal with immigration and all the chaotic and

complicated process related to it.

chaotic and complicated ! Thailand finally admits their immigration policy is a mess. :o

If you have a Thai company you can get 3 month business visa every 3 months for the first 6 months. After that, if you overlap the end of the year, you will have a tax statement showing the end of year accounting situation. When you bring that in during your visa extension meeting you might get a 1 year extension. Without the accounting tax statement they won't give you the 1 year extension.

In this scenario you will also have a work permit which will cost you about 4-5k baht a month. Its all a pain in the you know what and you could get rejected for the 1 year extension and just get another 3 months.

They wouldn't even extend me for 3 months. Because of that I dumped the work permit (4-5k THB/mth) after they rejected my visa extension in Nong Kai and told me to go to Laos to get the extension. So I went to Laos to get the extension.

If they don't do for me, I don't do for them. Simple concept. Which they don't get.

I have a real Thai company doing real business.

S

I don't see how having a dormant company enables you to stay in Thailand legally? Please explain? :o

...they rejected my visa extension in Nong Kai and told me to go to Laos to get the extension. So I went to Laos to get the extension...

Is it possible that your application for extension of stay was rejected because you did not meet all requirements? Having a company is not enough by itself. There are also requirements regarding the number of Thai employees, your salary, and your company’s revenue in the past year.

In Laos you got a new visa, I guess, not an extension.

--

Maestro

I early retired in Thailand, I was 39 year old, i use a consulate in my city who offer me one year multi entry visa O, after two year the only visa they could give me was 3*3 entries.

I approached a friendlier consulate and from the last 5 years I have a 1 year multi entry visa O, need to do a visa run every three months.

I presume you must be financial secure if you want to retired early..

Right.

The "requirement" was we have an accounting statement. But, it was in January and the year ended in December and the accountant won't get you the year ending statement until April. Therefore, since we didn't have the accounting statement = no extension. They said "Go to Laos and get the entension there".

Even if we had this statement, my Thai manager informed me, they could of picked something else to complain about and therefore reject the extension and wait for a possible payoff if we wanted it that bad.

We tried to call Nong Kai office to ask them if there is anything missing in the packet of paperwork we had and they refuse to answer any questions on the phone assuming you can even get someone on the phone. We had to drive 2.5 hours to get there only to get rejected which they could of easily told us on the phone when we tried to call to ask them. But on the phone they have no possibility of a payoff so they don't want to work that way and I'm sure there are other reasons they don't discuss anything on the phone.

What I'm saying is it's all a pain in the you know what no matter what you do. It's endless discussions, paperwork, wasted visits, fruitless phone calls, endless disposal of energy, etc for the people that have to deal with this stuff. It's just how it is here in the land of bubbles.

I happen to think the best way to make it easier to get things done in Thailand is to hang with the upper class social scene. It's the higher class society of people that have the right family contacts and can get things done in this country.

S

...they rejected my visa extension in Nong Kai and told me to go to Laos to get the extension. So I went to Laos to get the extension...

Is it possible that your application for extension of stay was rejected because you did not meet all requirements? Having a company is not enough by itself. There are also requirements regarding the number of Thai employees, your salary, and your company's revenue in the past year.

In Laos you got a new visa, I guess, not an extension.

--

Maestro

If you have got that kind of money and are not a sex tourist

why not live in Malaysia on their legitimate longstay programme. You get 10 year visa renewal for an investment of about 50k baht

check it on google

I am seriously considering relocating there - forget what you here about muslim terrorists and what you read in the press. Life is very civilised there but definately not for the playboy :o

Hi all,

Hi Keith,

had a look at the site you mentioned above, www.thailongstay.co etc an I would draw anyone considering this avenue to read and take in the WARNING which is set out on page 6 of their E- Brouchure ( just below these section entitled "Transfer by way of Inheritence" which ,as you might not be supprised to note is set out in very very smal print.

Quote "TLM RESERVES THE RIGHT TO REVISE ANY DETAILS AND CONDITIONS OF THE PROGRAM WITHOUT PRIOR NOTICE".

In my experienc once someone has the right to exercise thier powers I have never known thm not to take full advantage of that power, as and when it is beneficial for them to do so.

Without a shadow of a doubt at some point in the future that power will be exercised, if the sales person insists on telling you that this is merely a formallity that means nothing, then aske them to remove that condition, it is unlikely to happen.

Save your money, do whatever is required of you to obtain legal entitlement to stay if you wish to do so and dont deviate from the official sytem/ requirements that are in place when you apply, perhaps not what you want to hear I am sure but

as they say, if something sounds too good to be true, it usually is!

all the best

Roy :o

Malaysia is a great place. Kuala Lumpur is wonderful. Nice quality of life. A bit more expensive for some things. Real estate might be cheaper. Food is not as good as Thailand I think. But they are open to foreignors living and working there. Its a big difference when they make it easy for people to live and work there without any problems at all. They are wide open for business.

S

why not live in Malaysia on their legitimate longstay programme. You get 10 year visa renewal for an investment of about 50k baht

check it on google

I am seriously considering relocating there - forget what you here about muslim terrorists and what you read in the press. Life is very civilised there but definately not for the playboy :o

I have been amused (being The Muse) by the continuous dialogue about visa-this and visa-that. Much of it smacks of farang manipulation so "I can get what I want".....all about me me me.

Those who ask permission for the privilege to live in Thailand with respect and authentic desire to immerse into Thai culture I bet have a high rate of success.

The farang demand to have one's own way by muscling one's way in with financial clout....well, life just doesn't respect such an attitude. It's largely subconscious because it's built in to materialistic societies.

I am a 40 year old Asian and would like to spend my early retirement life in Thailand. However, my age does not qualify me for the Thai retiree residency scheme. I would appreciate if someone could advice me on how I could stay in Thailand for perhaps 5 years or more, without the need to go to the immigration office too often. I plan to travel out of Thailand 4-6 times a year for holiday, although Thailand will be my base, and home.

I have read about the Thai Elite scheme and the Thai Longstay or Second Home schemes, but both don't seem very stable to me. I am afraid the companies may fold or the schemes withdrawn, and apart from paying money for nothing (esp the Elite scheme, which is more expensive upfront), my life would also be a bind, especially after having bought an apartment and getting used to the life in Thailand. I am willing to pay fees of say 1 to 2 million baht, but I hope to get some certainty for it.

Keith

Keith

Hello. To save yourself alot of grief from getting different views on this subject, I suggest you talk directly with the immigration office in Thailand. If you are here in Phuket use this office. Getting up front information is the best way. Good luck.

I think that you might do well to think about approaching this from the other angle.

First, figure out exactly what you would enjoy doing in your retirement years in Thailand.

When you have done that, analyse what lifestyle it would involve.

(For instance, if you were going to start by doing a 'mid-career' Master's degree in Rural Development amongst a bunch of people drawn from all the countries in South and Southeast Asia, you would want to rent an apartment close to Khon Kaen University. (Unless you preferred the lifestylr of those who stay in a postgraduate dormitory.))

When, and not until, you have done that, look at what visa arrangements you need to make.

The farang demand to have one's own way by muscling one's way in with financial clout....well, life just doesn't respect such an attitude. It's largely subconscious because it's built in to materialistic societies.

That was very funny! I will try that next time I go for my externsion of stay (and forget to bring my bank statement); see you back in farangland. The way I see it, one baht short and you are out of here. Thailand is VERY materialistic.

Edited by Jingthing

I have been amused (being The Muse) by the continuous dialogue about visa-this and visa-that. Much of it smacks of farang manipulation so "I can get what I want".....all about me me me.

Those who ask permission for the privilege to live in Thailand with respect and authentic desire to immerse into Thai culture I bet have a high rate of success.

I would have to disagree with your premise. If you read visa-this and visa-that more closely, you would see that many with respect and authenticity are STILL not successful. This forum sheds light on what values, tactics if you will, are rewarded in the "privilege to live in Thailand" visa process. What works and what doesn't work are chosen by the Thais not the farang. I would agree that any display of the 'this is my right to be here or to do this or that' attitude will be detrimental in getting a visa in Thailand... or doing almost anything in Thailand, but also getting a visa in ANY other country, and even in doing most anything in almost any other country too.

I would counter your bet with one that asserts financially 'capable' farang do not have near the problems as those that ask permission for the privilege with respect etc.. If this "says" something about a society, it says it about the Thai society...

I have been a Thailand Elite member for over 2 yrs and am very happy with the service and value for money. The visa is valid for 5 yrs and then renewable in 5 yr increments for the rest of your life. You can stay in the country for 90 days and then either leave or go to immigration and pay for another 90 day extension..I think it costs baht 1000. I'm not hear to beat a drum for the program but my first hand experience is positive.

check it on google

Does depend on your gender and your race - I have friends living there so get firsthand reports.

Thats right, Malaysia (Kuala Lumpur) is definitely not for the playboy. The good thing is that KL is cheaper to stay and people there are less materialistic than in Bangkok and Singapore. However, if you like to wear jewelry or drink alcohol, its not as convenient as in Bangkok. A bottle of Black Label whiskey cost like THB 3000-4000. Also there cover charge at the clubs. And also bear in mind that Taxis are not as good condition as the Toyota Altis here, they use very old and sometimes smelly Proton ISWARA taxis. Also bear in mind that you probably have a higher chance of getting robbed by an Indonesian or Bangladeshi illegal immigrant if you happen to just get lost in a dark corner. Be ware of your handphones when you dine at the mamak ( Indian Muslim store). Someone may just walk right up and snatch it away. Bear in mind that public toilets there are not as clean as in Bangkok, especially at the gas station.

But if you don't need to face these, then its a nice and peaceful place as long as you make sure where you stay at places which has very good security, theres too many car jacks and house robberies.

Malaysia is a great place. Kuala Lumpur is wonderful. Nice quality of life. A bit more expensive for some things. Real estate might be cheaper. Food is not as good as Thailand I think. But they are open to foreignors living and working there. Its a big difference when they make it easy for people to live and work there without any problems at all. They are wide open for business.

S

check it on google

I have been a Thailand Elite member for over 2 yrs and am very happy with the service and value for money. The visa is valid for 5 yrs and then renewable in 5 yr increments for the rest of your life. You can stay in the country for 90 days and then either leave or go to immigration and pay for another 90 day extension..I think it costs baht 1000. I'm not hear to beat a drum for the program but my first hand experience is positive.

If I had paid 1 million baht for a TE card, I think I would know how the system works better than you do. You can stay in Thailand for the entrire 5 years without leaving or needing to get an extension. You are only required to make 90 day reports to immigration which are free.

If I had paid 1 million baht for a TE card, I think I would know how the system works better than you do. You can stay in Thailand for the entrire 5 years without leaving or needing to get an extension. You are only required to make 90 day reports to immigration which are free.

Er...well as another 2 year TE member, I can tell you that he was correct and you are not (unless something has changed since I last came in 2 months ago). You only get a 90 day stamp in your passport each time you enter the country and so are required to get another 90 day stamp if you don't leave before then. Cost per stamp is 1,900 THB.