Chinese Visa For Westerner Nearly Impossible

toptuan

The best place to get China visas is in Hong Kong. I've lived in China previously and the only problem I faced in Hong Kong was once they gave me a double entry visa instead of a multi entry tourist visa.

I was never asked for any hotel or flight information. It was actually quite simple -- just pay the fee and give them the photographs and you're all set.

From what I heard, even in Hong Kong now it's very difficult to get visas if you're white. Some have been turned down for no reason while others have been given ridiculous requirements to fulfill. It's not an American issue. I've heard that for the French it was much more difficult.

I'm not even sure if there's a concrete policy in place now. One friend was told he had to apply in his home country and another was allowed to apply conditional he fulfilled all the requirements (including tickets, hotel info, etc.)

They're afraid of protests at the Olympics and they're trying to screen out the "undesirables".

2 whites don't make a Wong. :o

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had no hassles getting a visa for China.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=191280

thanks got your answer in another thread...

when we went to our travel agent she called them . asked what the latest rules were and they said we needed paid for booked airplane and hotel tickets and then she would get the visa. we asked if we could get our money back if she couldn't get the visas and she called someone again. on the phone i heard her say American [dont know if that meant anything or not]. she then told us we should get our own visas as she couldn't guarantee we would get our money back if no visa was available for us

guess we will change our plans since i don't want to loose the money for plane and hotel. my friend is a platinum member of Thai airways and he is waiting months for a refund from them on a small thing

Yes, my airline tickets are already paid for before I made the application.

If you're American the visa costs more I believe.

Chinese single-entry business visa in Germany for a big company recently took us 4 days, now it is possible in one day, but no multiple entry anymore.

A big change from last year, when their Bangkok embassy was extremely helpful and friendly, a multiple entry visa within one day didn't need any further paperwork.

There are lots of elderly group tourists in China this year (at least 3 times more then last year), hardly any independent travellers any more - a complete change from the last years, it used to be just the opposite.

Actually, counting again, no indepently travelling tourists at all this year.

(Elderly group tourist are not going to demonstrate at Tian An Men.)

Fortunately, my own paid flight to China was cancelled and I already got a refund.

Edited by uhuh

SMH 1/6/2008. Australia.

China changes visa policy ahead of Olympic Games

China has admitted to introducing more stringent visa requirements to ensure a "safe environment", only months before Beijing is to host the 2008 Olympic Games.

"We have made some arrangements according to usual international practice. That is, in the approval process we are more strict and more serious with the procedure," foreign ministry spokesman Qin Gang said.

"The purpose is to make sure that we will have a safe environment."

The foreign ministry had previously refused to confirm the visa policy had changed despite repeated complaints largely from the business community that the stricter requirements were inconvenient, time-consuming and costly.

Australia's Foreign Minister Stephen Smith said in Hong Kong he understood why China was making the apparent visa changes but said it must be aware of the pitfalls.

"It is important that the Chinese authorities understand the potential practical, on-the-ground difficulties that this is causing," Mr Smith said.

"Australia has had recently an Olympics as well, with the Sydney Olympics, so we understand the general public policy motivation," he said.

"We do want to make sure that there are no long-term adverse repercussions for trade and business and industry exchange between Hong Kong and China, and between other nation states and China," he added.

According to Hong Kong travel agents, China stopped issuing multiple-entry visas and now insists on both hotel and transport receipts before they will grant permission for business travellers or tourists to enter the country.

The new regulations began at the start of April and were set to continue until October, after the summer Olympics close, they said.

"It is not true that all the multiple-entry visas have been suspended ... compared to other countries, our visa system is more convenient," Qin said.

"What is unchanged and will not change is safeguarding our national security and making sure our environment is safe and making sure foreigners in China will be safe."

According to the travel agents, visitors from 33 countries - including India, the Philippines and Indonesia - are also no longer allowed to apply for China visas in Hong Kong and have to apply at their local Chinese embassies.

The move has sparked concern among business leaders, who said it could damage investment in China.

Several nations, including Britain and Australia, have urged Beijing to clarify the change in policy.

Many businesses use Hong Kong as a base for their operations in mainland China and regularly hop over the border to monitor factories or shipments.

China has insisted multi-entry visas are available but said in a statement that officials would "consider the real need of the applicant" when granting one.

AFP

Just got my tourist visa approved.

Our company agent took my passport, an updated picture, hotel booking and return ticket to the Chinese embassy.

I didn't even have to show my face.

Got the visa 3 days later.

Fee : 1,100 Baht

(I'm actually going on a business trip, working at the Beijing branch of our company for 10 days, but was told a tourist visa is much easier to obtain right now...)

sugarhead

For all those who are in Thailand right now and would like to get their visas to China from the consulate in Bangkok; forget it unless you have a work permit in Thailand (so, yes, tourists have to apply from the consulate at their home country). There is an exception for a few countries listed but nobody knows this list. So dont risk it.

If you want to apply for a tourist visa, and you are the citizen of a country in that mystery list, you will need confirmed hotel booking and flight ticket. Do not think business visa is easier; you will need an official invitation from your Chinese supplier with the fancy red ribbon and stamp on it. They also limited the visa terms; it does not matter how many expired visas you have, you can get a short time and one entry visa nowadays, until the olympics is over.

For years, i am renewing my one year multi entry visa which just expired while i was in Bangkok. I visited the consulate to take a new one. I was not refused but they simply reject to take your passport to process with additional requirements. Same happened to me and i was told because i did not have a work permit in Thailand, they can not accept my tourist visa application, even though i had a real return flight ticket and hotel booking. So i had to apply for a business visa with the "invitation" which was impossible since i would miss the expo i intended to visit. In this case, speaking Chinese fluently helped a lot. They had me speak to an ugly-bold-fat guy (no offense please) and after 10 minutes of insisting, i walked away with a brand new one month-single entry visa, even my country was not in the list of allowance as i was told.

So if you are really desperate to visit China and if you can tell it, you get a visa. But not for the olympics, for business!

The Australian | June 05, 2008

FOREIGNERS who are planning to carry out terrorist attacks or other subversive activities during the Olympic Games in Beijing need not apply to come. They will not get visas, the Beijing Organising Committee for the Olympic Games (BOCOG) says in a newly issued legal guide.

People with mental illnesses or sexually transmitted diseases, and who wish to engage in prostitution, also need not apply.

But such is the difficulty in obtaining visas - and so strong have been the messages from demonstrators and others about foreigners, following the troubled international torch relay - that not only terrorists but ordinary tourists are being put off coming to China in the coming weeks.

It now seems likely that many Beijing hotels will have lower occupancy rates than usual during the Olympics, which start on August 8.

Zhang Huiguang, director of Beijing's Tourism Bureau, says that while half a million foreigners are still expected during the Games, so far bookings for the period in four-star hotels have only reached 44per cent, less for three- and two-star hotels.

Five-star hotels are recording 77 per cent occupancy for the Games, but this is chiefly because of the large numbers of long-planned VIP bookings.

The new Olympics guide says even people with Games tickets are not guaranteed a visa.

Among the items that people will not be able to bring into China it lists weapons - both real and imitation - and ammunition, explosives, counterfeit currency, narcotics and poisons.

It warns foreign visitors against shouting insulting slogans or displaying them on banners, and says the display of religious, political or racial banners at venues is banned.

It is also forbidden to attack players or referees and to light fireworks at Olympic events.

The guide says: "Not all of China is currently open to foreigners, and if foreigners do not have permission they should not go into areas not opened." Foreigners must carry "relevant documents" at all times.

The English version of a new 200-page manual for volunteers - including those for the Paralympic Games, to be held from September 6 in Beijing - had been withdrawn for corrections, said Bocog this week, after "inappropriate language" was discovered. The Chinese version remains in circulation, uncorrected.

It says of the "physically disabled" that they are "often mentally healthy but may have unusual personalities because of disfigurement and disability.

"Some physically disabled are isolated, unsocial and introspective; they usually do not volunteer to contact people. They can be stubborn and controlling; they may be sensitive and struggle with trust issues. Sometimes they are overly protective of themselves, especially when they are called 'crippled' or 'paralysed'."

It advises volunteers to steer away from such terms, "even if you are just joking".

• 1 month later...

It doesn't surprise me, all these problems. I leave for Beijing early August and will be there as a journalist covering the Olympics. I had absolutely no problem getting my visa - the credential acts as the visa. Burma, and China...two of the most restrictive places on the planet.

If you had no problem getting the visa why are you surprised that there are problems?

I had absolutely no problem getting the visa so I AM surprised there are problems.

But then again I submitted all the necessary documents to get a visa as presumably did all the people on the full flight that I was on.

I got a tourist visa for China 1 month ago in Hong Kong, I didn't have hotel bookings or transportation tickets and still got the 1 month single entry tourist visa. It was relatively painless, just had to wait 1 day for the visa, although it was expensive.

• 1 month later...