Thaksin To Sack Eriksson At End Of Season

george

City fear Dunne will leave in fury over Eriksson

Independent.co.uk Web

Friday, 2 May 2008

Manchester City believe the prospect of losing their captain Richard Dunne is a genuine one amid a mass revolt among players over Thaksin Shinawatra's decision to sack the manager, Sven Goran Eriksson.

Dunne is arguably closer to Eriksson than any player in the City squad – the two share the same temperament and soft-spoken style – and the Irishman is known to have led attempts for players to sign a letter of protest threatening to boycott City's imminent end-of-season tour of the Far East.

Eriksson persuaded Dunne and others that, flattered though he was by their gesture, this was not an appropriate course of action to take and the tour will go ahead. But the future of one of the club's most consistent players now looks in severe jeopardy because he may find the prospect of lining Thaksin's pockets too unpalatable to go on.

Sources suggest that there has not yet been an approach from Newcastle for the player, contrary to some reports, but some at City fear "other clubs may try to capitalise" in his case.

As things stand, the departure of Dunne, who has just a year left to run on his current contract, is considered more likely than that of other players at the club, with reports already linking Michael Johnson with Arsenal and Micah Richards with Manchester United. But a wider exodus is quite possible.

City were looking every bit a crisis club last night and will invite direct comparisons with the sinking ship Liverpool have become under foreign ownership by this morning cancelling Eriksson's usual weekly press briefing. The club's reason is they do not want "a repeat of Rafa Benitez, with the manager fielding questions about the owner". Liverpool cancelled a Benitez press conference on 11 April after co-owner Tom Hicks had launched a verbal onslaught at chief executive Rick Parry.

Eriksson's agent Athole Still has not ruled out a move to Benfica. "The door is not closed for Benfica," Still told the Portuguese newspaper O Jogo. "The question of money is important. He is unlikely to continue, but it is still not 100 per cent certain that he will leave Manchester City."

The indignation of some players towards Thaksin was compounded when they learnt that video messages, recorded before Eriksson was told on Sunday that he was to be sacked, have been used by the Thai billionaire to promote the forthcoming club tour of the Far East and the new Manchester City superstore he is opening on the ground floor of his own office complex in Bangkok.

Joe Hart and Darius Vassell are among those whose video messages, played at a tour launch press conference on Tuesday, said how much they were looking forward to arriving in the Thai capital for a match against a Thai all-stars side on 14 May. That is not the feeling now and Thaksin, who enjoyed taking Daniel Sturridge and Casper Schmeichel with him on his return to Thailand after exile, may find players less compliant in the future.

The tour launch revealed what a farce Thaksin's ownership of the club has degenerated into. Thaksin left his son Panthongtae and daughter Pintongta, both installed by him as City board members, to field questions and when, inevitably, asked if Eriksson would lead the tour, Panthongtae froze, mumbled a "yes" then looked desperately to his sister for support. Both left the launch steadfastly refusing to answer questions by the foreign journalists who were in pursuit.

The Thai public has shown little interest in Thaksin's latest move at Eastlands, with the nation's press more wrapped up in the decision to fly a flag with Thaksin's name on it at City's ground for his arrival there last Saturday. In highly nationalistic Thailand it is considered disrespectful of the national flag to include a name on it and Thaksin is under fire for not having it taken down.

Sacking individuals is commonplace where Thaksin is concerned. A raft of top police and military officers have been removed from their postitions since the People Power Party, loyal to Thaksin, won December's elections in Thailand and many observers put this down to his influence. Eriksson has not offered the same threat to his political power base but he is considered equally dispensable.

I have just read in the Daily Mirror, full back page that Big Phil Scolari has already been offered the job on a salary of 2.5m a year.

he will "aledgedly" take over after the Euro Championships

And here also

Luis Felipe Scolari has agreed to become the next manager of Manchester City, according to reports.

# Manchester City homepage

# Football fans' forum

City owner Thaksin Shinawatra has made it clear that current incumbent, Sven-Goran Eriksson, has no future at Eastlands and will be sacked at the end of the season.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/main.jhtm...2/sfnfro202.xml

Thaksin 'hires Brazilian Scolari' to coach Man City

The British media reported on Saturday that Manchester City owner Thaksin Shinawatra has fired Sven Goran Eriksson and has hired Luiz Felipe Scolari, the current Portugal national manager, to coach his team next season.

Thaksin "Shinawatra's overtures and the promise of a 2.5 million-pound annual contract have been difficult to resist and Scolari has told his network of coaches and scouts he will take charge at City," said the Mirror newspaper.

The salary is equivalent to roughly 155 milion baht, almost $5 million.

Thaksin targeted "Big Phil," as Scolari is known, after making it clear to Eriksson that the Swede will be fired at the end of the season, said the report.

Brazilian Scolari, 59, had already said he will quit as Portugal boss after Euro 2008, will then take charge at Eastlands after flying to England for talks with Shinawatra on Wednesday.

During the past week, there has been a threatened player revolt at Man City, with captain Richard Dunne, Martin Petrov and Elano unhappy at Eriksson's impending and shock departure. There was a brief threat to refuse to fly to Thailand for a match against Thai all-stars later this month.

Thaksin hopes Scolari's appointment will appease the fans and his players, as well as opening the door to big-name signings, said the Mirror.

"[Thaksin] has made it clear there will be money to spend to strengthen the squad, but by sacking Eriksson he has also spelt out a strong message that he expects instant success.

--Bangkok Post 2008-05-03

The BangCock Post was pretty quick to spin for Thaksin that Scolari was a done deal, but I have to admit that I have never believed a word of it. I'd still be very suprised if Scolari takes the job, when much better positions will be available to him. The question is, who will work for Thaksin? Im sure that Souness is available. :o

The BangCock Post was pretty quick to spin for Thaksin that Scolari was a done deal, but I have to admit that I have never believed a word of it. I'd still be very suprised if Scolari takes the job, when much better positions will be available to him. The question is, who will work for Thaksin? Im sure that Souness is available. :o

These football managers who are the first to whinge when they are "unfairly" sacked could take this situation and make a united stand by refusing to take the job. This would send out a message to the Toxins of the world.

But will they?

It'd be a dream come true if SGE gets the boot and then NOBODY took the job eh? Can ya just see Toxin or his kids on the bench sorting out tactics! :D

These football managers who are the first to whinge when they are "unfairly" sacked could take this situation and make a united stand by refusing to take the job. This would send out a message to the Toxins of the world.

But will they?

It'd be a dream come true if SGE gets the boot and then NOBODY took the job eh? Can ya just see Toxin or his kids on the bench sorting out tactics! :D

Sadly, someone will take the job, but it might not be the big name that Toxin craves.

It would be hilarious, can just picture a bench full of Toxin and his cronies dishing out orders. He'll probably even have a couple of BIBs hanging around to fine a few people. I noticed in one of the British papers , that there is a rumour that Toxin has cash flow problems at present, and has been trying to get in another investor. Not sure how much truth there is in that rumour, but it's probably not something he used to, having a dissenting press that he can't control or influence.

Just keep your hands off Calderwood, that's all I have to say :o

So he's IN, and he's not called Calderdud anymore? :D

Touche Toady :D

It's the seasons end & he can't lose anymore matches.......so we can use his proper name...for now !!

Now they're saying Scolari hasn't been approached :D is this all paper talk ?

Just keep your hands off Calderwood, that's all I have to say :o

So he's IN, and he's not called Calderdud anymore? :D

Touche Toady :D

It's the seasons end & he can't lose anymore matches.......so we can use his proper name...for now !!

Now they're saying Scolari hasn't been approached :D is this all paper talk ?

I think it should now be Cauldergod :D

As for Man City, this is typical Thaksin spin. Scolari has not said yes, but the Bangcock Post reported that he'd signed. Thaksin now appears to be trying to recant some of the stuff he has said, and to be honest it's a complete circus, but probably serves some ulterior motive given that we are talking about Toxin.

My own opinion is that Scolari will not sign for Man City, and is probably using Toxin as a bit of leverage for whatever jod he as in mind. BTW, Erickson according to the BBC is in talks with Benfica.

Scolari 'unlikely' to make City decision now

The Brazilian, who has been approached by City to replace Sven-Goran Eriksson, has reportedly been set a deadline by club owner Thaksin Shinawatra asking for Scolari to commit before the European Championships get under way next month in Austria and Switzerland.

Scolari 'unlikely' to make Man City decision now

No hurry: Luiz Felipe Scolari is thought to want to wait until after Euro 2008 before discussing his future

A source close to the 59-year-old said today: "It is very unlikely that Scolari makes any decision now, one month ahead of the championship."

Scolari, who led Brazil to World Cup success in 2002, has been offered a £3.2 million-a-year deal by the Manchester club, but while his spokesman Acaz Fellegger has said it is possible the coach may meet with City representatives before the Euro 2008 he is more likely to leave it until the tournament is over.

In fact Scolari has told the media in Portugal that he would only discuss his future following the conclusion of the summer's international tournament.

England fans will remember a similar scenario in 2006, when the FA were looking for a replacement for Eriksson, but were unable to obtain the services of Scolari because he wanted to wait until after the World Cup in Germany.

advertisement

The Brazilian is thought to be hesitant on the offer from City, despite the figure mooted being a significant £700,000 increase on the departing Swede whose deal at Eastlands was worth £2.5m a year.

He does not want to uproot his family from Portugal where his two sons, Fabricio and Leonardo, are studying and Scolari too is loath to move to England which could affect his availability to attend seminars and give motivational speeches throughout Africa and South America, something he is not willing to give up.

The other concern Scolari has is that he has not approved of Eriksson's treatment at Manchester City. Eriksson still has the backing of City supporters who protested outside the stadium before Sunday's 1-0 defeat to Liverpool.

Some fans have gone further by asking for next term's season ticket money back until they know who their manager will be.

Eriksson is set to take charge of his final Premier League match for City when they travel to Middlesbrough on Sunday. He is expected to guide them on their end-of-season tour to Asia even though he will be axed at the end of the month.

In reply to questions posed by the Thai media asking whether Eriksson and City would still travel to Thailand as part of the tour, City spokesman Paul Tyrell said: "The media speculation (about Eriksson's fate) does not affect the visit. Mr Eriksson will be attending."

City will arrive in Thailand on May 14 to open a club store before facing a Thailand Premier All-Stars on May 17. The team will take a quick trip to the resort of Pattaya before leaving on May 20 for two matches in Hong Kong against a South China XI and Italian giants Juventus.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/main.jhtm...nmancity207.xml

The team will take a quick trip to the resort of Pattaya :o

bet theres some cameras clicking away then!!!

Did anybody see First Edition on ESPN tonight? (If you still get it on tv there)

Dykes and Keys were talking about an interview that Noel Gallagher gave to soccer am about Thaksin and how he said a few things that weren't very complimentary about Thailand in general. I had a look at youtube and the interview is there but some part of it has been cut or editted. Anybody know what he said?

If this is true, and it would appear so, it is surely one ofthe most bizarre decisions ever made by an EPL Club Owner/Chairman.

I wrote on a Forum somewhere when Thaksin took over at Manchester City that my dear old grandfather would be turning in his grave. I now have it on good authority that Grandad is going to haunt Thaksin with a vengence.

P.S Old W.W.1 serving Manchester boys are a force to be reckoned with.... :o . :D . :D .

............ Dead or Alive.

Wether or not if it is true, in the wonderful world of Thaksinland, anything is possible. He has destroyed anything that has been acheived over the past 10 months, and I don't think that too many of the players will resist the temptation to join more stable clubs.

Thaksin should never have been allowed to enter the UK IMO, and certainly never be allowed to own a football club.

I really do feel for the City fans, but when Toxin's concerned scenarios like these are all to common. City should have thought about that, when they got in bed with him.

I have just done a very quick flick through the British tabloids sites, and the Express see, to be the only paper carrying this story at the moment, so I'm yet to be totally convinced.

I do however totally agree with you Mr T., in that A. I really feel for the City fans at a time like this, B., Anything strange is possible from a meglomaniac like Thaksin, and C., The City Board should have had a closer look at the man they they were selling soul to.

Perhaps the song should sung far & wide

"Hey Thaksin, Leave our club alone..

...All in all, your just another shit, on the wall.