Opening Thai Bank Account

Hi everyone, I need to open a Thai savings account. I like the look of Kasikorn Bank, mainly because it appears you don’t need a work permit. However, I am resident in Laos and have no address in Thailand. Can anyone confirm if my passport will be enough to open an account with Kasikorn or any other bank for that matter?

There have been umpteen threads on this and everyone seems to have different experiences depending on the branch.

I opened a Kasikorn account, and took all my house doc's etc, but they only wanted my passport. They are your best bet by a long way as all the others seem to want a lot more (some want work permits, but not all).

No guarantees, but I would try there first.

My experience is similar to Sweetchariot, I opened an account at Kasakorn on Sukumvitt Nukleua, near Bangkok Pattaya Hospital.

Half way through the process the lady looked up and said "You're not a tourist you live here!" It was about the time we got to the address stage and I handed her a business card with my address, she was not worried about the address, as I was not getting statements. I went for the internet banking and the out of the draw Visa debt card with "Valued Customer" in the name field. The correct name comes up on ATM's and other paperwork, it is just not on the card. No need for WP or anything else other than a passport.