Mobile Broadband In Thailand

HardenedSoul

Hi

I'll be arriving in Thailand in a couple of weeks and I'll be bringing a laptop. I need to know whether there are any mobile broadband providers similar to Vodafone, T-Mobile or 3 who provide those USB modems that give anything between 3 and 7Mbps on a pay-as-you-go basis.

I've done a search on the forum but not really come up with anything that answers my question.

This is a joke, right? You won't get those speeds on a fixed line, let alone mobile. The best you can hope for is GPRS/Edge running at about 200 kps

No, it's not a joke. I'm just asking . . . because I don't know :o

I've seen similar speeds mentioned by hotels etc and I assume they use fixed line . . .

Sorry, I thought you may have been trolling. Do you really get 3-7 Mps on a mobile connection back home these days? I must have been away too long.

The vast majority of ADSL connections will be somewhere between 1 and 2 Mps, but as far as mobile is concerned, I would forget it.

Have a great time.

Sorry, I thought you may have been trolling. Do you really get 3-7 Mps on a mobile connection back home these days? I must have been away too long.

The vast majority of ADSL connections will be somewhere between 1 and 2 Mps, but as far as mobile is concerned, I would forget it.

Have a great time.

Yes . . . Vodafone offer this little USB modem that can get up to 7.2Mbps. Just a shame I'm abandoning the UK for a few years - things're gonna get very bad . . . riots and civil unrest-type bad . . .

The best you can hope for is GPRS/Edge running at about 200 kps

Usually, more like 100

Oh dear . . .

I guess I'm gonna have to go fixed line, then. True's website reckon they get up to 5Mbps so if that translates into 2 Mbps, then that'll do for my purposes. Thanks for the advice

your best bet (and its not that great) is to goto a CAT office and buy a little USB dongle - will cost you 10-14k and will get realistically somewhere between 200-800kps with crappy upload

and it wont work in Bangkok. cost 800bht a month+equipment

I've never seen anything more than ~1.5mbps realistic speed out of 3, Vodafone and O2 since I've been using them here in the UK. The upload speeds being crap is a technology limitation and not a problem with the operators in Thailand. 3G has been rolled out by CAT only in provinces that Hutch has not covered. Hutch's network is a much slower network, so it depends where you'd be as to what service to use. Bangkok is covered by Hutch.

PS Hutch is 3, branded as Hutch in Thailand for reasons I cannot remember now.

Mobile broadband is the newest big thing that the mobile phone operators are offering in the uk. I tested a Three connection in the shop and was getting just over 1 Mbps using a USB dongle. Certainly kicks the ass out of my IPstar connection ! :o

The dongles are costing around £50 - £100 with a range of packages from £10 per month (no contract, PAYG) but limited to data allowances

http://www.three.co.uk/personal/products_s...and_/detail.omp

All the big companies are offering similar services

totster :D

• 3 weeks later...

I have seen Hutch CDMA mobile / wireless adapter (broadband) in several malls. e.g. 'The Mall ThaPhra' / 'The Mall Bangkhe'.

May be you will get some solution. I am planning to go through it as my apartment manager deny to apply for fixed line for me.

Or TOT IPSTAR would be a better solution for you if you have space for dish in your home / apartment.

Just check for an agreement prior to apply. Most of the time they will ask you to sign 12 months agreement.

Hi

I'll be arriving in Thailand in a couple of weeks and I'll be bringing a laptop. I need to know whether there are any mobile broadband providers similar to Vodafone, T-Mobile or 3 who provide those USB modems that give anything between 3 and 7Mbps on a pay-as-you-go basis.

I've done a search on the forum but not really come up with anything that answers my question.

The Hutch CDMA EVDO will give you up to 700kbps but you need to show a work permit or Thai drivers' licence. There's a thread about the new 3G service from AIS in Chiang Mai so just do a little browsing on this forum and you'll find lots of very recent discussion.

Edited by edwardandtubs