Re-spray

I’m thinking about getting my car re-sprayed a different colour. It’s a black Top end 4x4 and I think it would look great in a pearlescent white.

Does anybody know of a good outfit in Bangkok who could be trusted to spray an already expensive car this colour and what the likely cost would be.

I'm also looking for some 22" alloy wheels (i.e. Tiger alloys), I've searched extensively (Srinakarin area, Behind Chula / MBK / Rama IV area) but have drawn a blanks from all.

Thanks…

If you're thinking what I think you're thinking and you have what I think you have, I like you, Richard_Smith.

A pearl white RR. Niiice. I can't with certainty recommend a shop to do the work on such a beauty of a car. A lesser car, maybe. :o

You'll never find the wheels you want, though... unless you import. And I think you already know the cost for what you want (say 20K USD with tyres, tax and all).

Yup, can help you guys here.

I used to be the Technical Trainer for a Global Automotive Refinish paint manufacturer. During that time we provided technical and commercial training on running a western style Body Repair business to forward thinking Bodyshops in Thailand.

I can recommend this guy in the Lad Prao area to do a good professional job, but of course the price will reflect this workmanship.

The other issue you might want to check out first is the fact that you want to changed the registered colour!

I seem to remember some issues regarding informing the authorities and changing the log book details?

Anyhow drop me a line if you wanna know more?

The other issue you might want to check out first is the fact that you want to changed the registered colour!

I seem to remember some issues regarding informing the authorities and changing the log book details?

This part is easy. Just go to where you reg. your vehicle with the receipt for the color change and they will print in the logbook that you've had the color changed. Fairly common practice and not really a hassle.

Do RR make 4X4 these days?

Don't forget you'll have to report the colour change to the Transport Office and get your blue book amended, you might even need to get police permission to respray as it's going to be a different colour.

Don't forget you'll have to report the colour change to the Transport Office and get your blue book amended, you might even need to get police permission to respray as it's going to be a different colour.

RR = Range Rover.... of course they make 4x4s (unless you are referring to different types of 4WD systems)!

I'm just guessing about the kind of car he has, given that he wants (another guess) Overfinch (kick arse) wheels... I'm a RR fan myself :o

I don't think you need police permission to respray. I've done it twice on 2 different cars and didn't need police permission, though maybe the rules have changed.

RR = Range Rover.... of course they make 4x4s (unless you are referring to different types of 4WD systems)!

I'm just guessing about the kind of car he has, given that he wants (another guess) Overfinch (kick arse) wheels... I'm a RR fan myself :o

I don't think you need police permission to respray. I've done it twice on 2 different cars and didn't need police permission, though maybe the rules have changed.

Thanks guys... Correct on all fronts... Mk III RR - I want pearlescent white... And 22" Tiger alloys.. to pimp it up a little !

This guy in Lad Prao - how good is he ? i.e. he's not going to Spoil A Range Rover is he? does anyone have idea of likely cost.

I've looked into importing the Tiger Alloys and drawn a blank unless I buy some when I am home and ship them over... But I also have to consider if the correct tires are available in Bangkok also.... RPM in Thonglor said they'd look into it, then were useless...

Thanks for all your comments...

Richard,

Next time youre down on SriNakarin,check out Monster Fixed on the opposite side of the road to Seri centre,next to Memory Pub.They re-fabricated and resprayed my friends R34 Skyline and it looks great.They also have done the bodywork on all the "Inner Line" race cars in bright orange that you may have seen around Bangkok.

Good luck.

Edited by Skyline

Can I join in? :o

My 1981 Turbo Trans Am was painted from bare metal after a factory-authorized re-spray due to a really horrible paint job from afore-said factory.

They allowed me to choose Sikkens paint.

That was 26 years ago and it looks as good now as it did then!

Great auto paint.

ANCR= Akzo Nobel Car Refinishes, a sub bussines unit of Akzo Nobel.

Yep after they sold off some non cor Bizz units they had a large amount of cash and just recently took over ICI, ha ha ha!

Bobbin already at that time Akzo with the Sikkens (Premium quality) brand offered the best technology available.

And very impressive that you feel it still looks as good as 26 years ago.

I will put your quote in a testimonial if you allow me, ha ha.

At the moment market leader in Europe in Waterborn basecoat and High Solids clear and Topcoat.

And not only because I work for Akzo but I dare to say that there is no other brand that can come close to Sikkens quality.

And yes, once the vehicle is painted in full Sikkens system it comes with lifetime warranty!

And Richard if you can tell me which area is convenient for you to drop off you car then I will look at the network of shops we have and come up with the best option to bring your car to. Or if it does not matter I will select the very best shop in BKK for ya.

I guess you want the out and inside painted?

And Hanibal can you tell your name, we might have met eachother in the past as I was stationed in SSH before.

Cheers all!

• 9 months later...

Dug up this old thread because my friend had a fight between a her Lexus RX and a telephone pole. The pole won. Hit right down the center of the front bumper... damage all the way to the the grille, hood bent up, bumpers farked.... I have yet to get a straight answer as to <deleted> happened (my first comment was, "was the pole moving?", being 'guan theen')

So here is my question, and I know RichardSmith is a man of good taste so I wanted to see if he found a good paint shop. Actually this isn't just painting, but repairing too... I'd take photos, but it's quite embarrassing, though hilarious at the same time.

Requirements: TOP QUALITY SHOP.

Vehicle: Lexus RX330, Pearl White.

Recommendations, please (+ experience and type of car would be helpful). I searched already and came up with a thread where some guy said, "I had the whole car resprayed except the front wings for 9500 baht." This type of shop WILL NOT DO :o

• 2 months later...