Thai Food In The West

TheDon

Its worth remembering Thais are no different from other Nations.My FI.Law made his own food somedays, he disliked his Wifes Nortern Thai, and made Chineasy Style.Some areas eat Lamb Curry,yet 3 Hrs drive, and no one eats Lamb.My Wife thinks here Sisters foods passable, and our Kids hated Grandmas Food. I never normally mention this in conversation because Ferangs here say their Wifes Food is Thai, and thats that. For me as long as its Subtle,and doesnt set my cap on fire, i get by.:jap:

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is a place net door that sells green curry for only 20 baht.Its the best green curry I have EVER had. I remember paying $17 for a green curry in Sydney.The 20 baht sheets all over the Sydney one, but like I said before, most beef dishes in Sydney are better than what I have had here.

• 3 weeks later...

I would agree that most "Thai restaurants" serve up less than authentic dishes. Seattle, Washington does have a few good places. Seattle was swamped 20 years ago with the Thai food invasion. The famous chef, known in the venacular as McDang remains highly critical of most places in the States. I can remember ordering Somtam in an authentic Thai restaurant, and when the server did not speak Thai, the owner came over to our table. I spoke Lao first ie. sai padaek...she did not understand, so I spoke in Thai ie. sai pla la. Her response:"No one has ever asked for it...it smells!" What a joke. If I was spending more time in my original home, I would open a simple Lao restaurant because the best Thai food is Lao food. Adios amigos.

• 4 months later...

In South Florida in the US there are many Thai resturants but sadly they are all geared to the American palate.Or what the Thai think the Americans want of Thai food.Which they must because they are open and making money every day.When we go to a few where we know the owners we can get real Thai food but that is rare.If we want real Thai food all we have to do is go to Wat Bhuddarangsi of Miami.Which we do on a regular bases.

Edit to show a photo of the food for the Monks.Of course we get the left overs. :o:D

I have to agree with you about the best leftover food at the Wat. It's a not so-secret secret that the best Thai home cooking is at Thai temples where Buddhists offer food alms to monks. Traditionally, food givers then feast on a buffet of delicious potluck after monks finish their once-a-day meal. The ingredients are normally best and freshest suitable for monks.

For a few years after the initial posting, many posters have summed up very well about the Thai food scene in the West that it's a hit or a miss. If fresh vegetables cannot be grown in the United States or any Western countries with colder climates, Thai restaurants have to substitute certain ingredients with something comparable or omit them altogether.

• 1 month later...

I would agree that most "Thai restaurants" serve up less than authentic dishes. Seattle, Washington does have a few good places. Seattle was swamped 20 years ago with the Thai food invasion. The famous chef, known in the venacular as McDang remains highly critical of most places in the States. I can remember ordering Somtam in an authentic Thai restaurant, and when the server did not speak Thai, the owner came over to our table. I spoke Lao first ie. sai padaek...she did not understand, so I spoke in Thai ie. sai pla la. Her response:"No one has ever asked for it...it smells!" What a joke. If I was spending more time in my original home, I would open a simple Lao restaurant because the best Thai food is Lao food. Adios amigos.

Maybe one of the reasons why they told you everything was unavailable was to get rid of you because you had no reason to be squawking offensively to the asian owner in Lao bar speak who was probably born and raised in the U.S. to begin with.

Edited by wintermute