Obtaining Tax Id Without Employment In Thailand

There are many conflicting stories in regards to being considered a tax resident within Thailand. Logically one becomes a tax resident if he/she stays more then 180 days in the Kingdom. However, I have been told that you can not apply for a tax id without a registrated company and work permit. If someone chooses not to work in Thailand but lives here and has no other residence, lives from income from investments abroad and is willing to pay personal income tax on income remitted to Thailand, would it be possible to walk in a Revenue office in Thailand and obtain a Tax id card?

I would like to hear experience from other board members. I have heard of the offshore company options to pay yourself a salary and pay income tax on that but it is a hassle and incurrs yearly costs and a certain amount of trust.

The reasons for doing this, is because I am giving up my address in Europe since I live here, it would be for having a legal residential address, facilitate visa and passport renewals.

Why would you need a Thai tax ID to establish a legal residential address? Just go to Immigration and get a residence letter from them, or from your own Embassy.

You don't need a Thai tax ID to renew your Thai visa.

Surely your government don't require a Thai tax ID to renew your passport????

Are you Dutch?

... would it be possible to walk in a Revenue office in Thailand and obtain a Tax id card?

Yes. No company, no WP needed.

I agree, with other posters, why do you want to pay tax?

1. Income from savings is not taxable, unless it is brought in in the year when it earned.

2. Income taxed elsewhere is probably protected by a dual tax agreement.

Apart from helping you pay taxes the Tax ID has no other benefit.

The Tax ID card is super easy to get and would have his name and address on it if he were to get it. I guess that could be useful to him as proof of address in thailand. I normally use my work permit when asked for proof of address in thailand but this might be a good way for people without local employment, other than going to the immigration office and getting a letter from them.

Edited by ytivarg

I agree, with other posters, why do you want to pay tax?

1. Income from savings is not taxable, unless it is brought in in the year when it earned.

2. Income taxed elsewhere is probably protected by a dual tax agreement.

Hi,

I do not know for the OP, but if I take the example of French guys living here, there is a "tax convention" between France and Thailand that say that if I live in Thailand and have financial dividends in France, I must pay tax on this income in Thailand, not in France !

In this case I do need a Thai tax ID.

If one is orginally from Europe, i quess tax residence certificate from Thailand could be useful way to prove to your offshore banks that you do not live in Europe any more and so no need to withold european tax any more from your savings ?

Edited by thaitero

If one is orginally from Europe, i quess tax residence certificate from Thailand could be useful way to prove to your offshore banks that you do not live in Europe any more and so no need to withold european tax any more from your savings ?

You don't need the tax ID as proof of residence for EUSD, you can just get a letter from your Embassy.

The OP is concerned about the tax ID for marriage visa purposes and proof of 40,000 baht income.

For id purposes a Thai driving licence with address in Thai is very handy and saves carrying Passport Original around.

Dont worry if you cannot actually drive acar in Thoeng you pay 300 baht 2 fotos medical and 'pull the strings' on depth of vision machine ,painless all over in 15mins